Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 79 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 7:11am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

Hrmm.  Only 30 seconds, even with restricted flow seems rather short.
It is possible your boiler is overfilling.  If the water level in your boiler is too high you have a smaller volume of steam above it to draw from but also, you have a greater volume of water to heat up to replace the steam that you're letting out. The same element can keep 1 litre of water boiling more easily than 1.6 litres.
If you suspect that an overfilling boiler may be the case, it could be that the level probe is too high or calcified.
If you use tap water and the machine is a couple years old, my bet is calcium on the probe.  It is very easy to unscrew and look at the tip of the probe.  If it has any build-up it can be cleaned with steel-wool or sandpaper.
 View Profile Link to this post
MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 7:23am

slybarman Said:

. What don't you like about the double that came with the machine?

Posted February 3, 2013 link

I've found that I'm not getting a good tamp with the basket, my 58mm tamper, and an 18-20g dose.  With my old machine (Breville Infuser) I would always do the portafilter "flip" after tamping to remove lose grounds.  Since I've gotten the Cuadra, I can no longer do the flip without the coffee spilling out of the basket, no matter what I do or how hard I tamp.  The coffee is just not making a good seal against the basket and I'm worried I'm getting some channeling because of it.  Odd thing this, it looks like my tamper goes deep enough, but it just won't stick.  I've tried 7 or 8 different coffees already and it's the same thing every time.  

slybarman Said:

With regard to the knobs and porta handle - there is a fellow that makes custom ones from a variety of hardwoods that makes you machine look totally pimp!

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

I did see that earlier, and he's not far from me actually.  Only about 40 minutes or so, but I was simply looking for a nice, black plastic replacement knob.  The OCD in me me will want to replace everything (knobs, handles, tamper) with the same color wood and I'm not looking to spend that much.  :D
slybarman
slybarman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 9:08am

Pulled the shower screen after a year. Was kinda cruddy despite backflushing with detergent, etc.

slybarman: 2013-02-03 11.21.32.jpg
(Click for larger image)
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 9:09am

After

slybarman: 2013-02-03 12.02.09.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 6:51pm

Question to Jim at 1st line. What price will these end up being ( ball park ok) after this sale ends ? Do you have assurances the company will continue after the sad news of owners passing?

Thank You

1stline Said:

This picture shows one sweet set up. I actually like the picture very much! Thanks for the business!

Posted December 3, 2012 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 10:09am

Iluvdabean Said:

Question to Jim at 1st line. What price will these end up being ( ball park ok) after this sale ends ? Do you have assurances the company will continue after the sad news of owners passing?

Thank You

Sale of original shipment was over in Jan 2012. We are holding prices as best we can at $1095 for current stock and for next shipment coming in (luckily we prepaid). However, after this, prices will probably go up as the Euro exchange rate has taken a turn for the worse. I believe the original owner passed about 1 year ago.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 10:21am

Thank You ! Sir

1stline Said:

Sale of original shipment was over in Jan 2012. We are holding prices as best we can at $1095 for current stock and for next shipment coming in (luckily we prepaid). However, after this, prices will probably go up as the Euro exchange rate has taken a turn for the worse. I believe the original owner passed about 1 year ago.

Posted February 4, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
MDiddy

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 8:10am

Gents,

What would cause the Pstat dead band to change without any type of adjustment?

I had it set at 1.2 - 1.0 BAR and it was fine like that for a while.  There was always a .2 BAR deadband.  Yesterday, I noticed it's now at 1.3 - 1.0 BAR and a .3 BAR deadband without me changing anything.  I've also noticed the clicking sound is a different at the top of the cycle.  Instead of the pronounced click, it sounds weaker now.  Not a pronounced click any longer.  Just weak.  Kind of like something is not fully working.  Is it possible my Pstat is hosed?
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 8:36am

MDiddy Said:

Gents,

What would cause the Pstat dead band to change without any type of adjustment?

I had it set at 1.2 - 1.0 BAR and it was fine like that for a while.  There was always a .2 BAR deadband.  Yesterday, I noticed it's now at 1.3 - 1.0 BAR and a .3 BAR deadband without me changing anything.  I've also noticed the clicking sound is a different at the top of the cycle.  Instead of the pronounced click, it sounds weaker now.  Not a pronounced click any longer.  Just weak.  Kind of like something is not fully working.  Is it possible my Pstat is hosed?

Posted February 9, 2013 link

I have noticed that the top end and dead band vary some depending on how long the machine idles. Also, it is a mechanical Pstat, not a PID, I imagine there is some margin of error in both the Pstat and the gauge. I would not get too worked up about it - we are making coffee, not sending men to the moon. :)

Also, keep in mind the boiler pressure is only altering the temperature of water in the boiler - not necessarily the HX water temp (which is the water that is actually making your coffee). If you use a grouphead thermometer, you can be more consistent on your shot temp regardless of the HX water temp.
MDiddy

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 9:27am

Oddly, I gave the PStat a quarter turn down, and it's now back to where it was before at 1.2 - 1.0 BAR.  Odd that it changes like that.
showing page 79 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.475015163422)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+