Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
question about pressure
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > question about...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dspear99ca

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 1:49pm
Subject: question about pressure

Many posts advise one to set brew pressure to 9.5 Bar with a blind portafilter, some calling this "static pressure", and implying if not stating outright that the pressure when brewing would somehow be different, i.e. that it will drop to ~9 Bar.  The way I see it, the OPV is going to regulate pressure in the boiler at 9.5 bar if that's what it's set to.  Putting grounds in a portafilter will require more inlet pressure to maintain the same boiler pressure, but the OPV will compensate by increasing the incoming water pressure to maintain 9.5 Bar, no?  How can it be otherwise?  I am waiting for an adjustable OPV for my machine so I want to know where I should set it.  I am leaning towards 9 Bar on my guage.
 View Profile Link to this post
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 2:20pm
Subject: Re: question about pressure

The OPV is generally before the boiler/HX, group valve and dispersion screen - there is a loss of pressure between the OPV and the group when there is liquid flowing, roughly proportional to the flow rate through the boiler and group.  If the group is sealed off, then the flow rate is zero, and the pressure at the OPV is the same as at the group.  With a small flow through the group (through coffee), the pressure at the OPV is higher than at the group by some amount.

Since the pressure isn't that critical, subtracting 0.5-1 bar is accurate to compensate for this for most purposes.  If you want to be super precise, use a pressure gauge at the group with a needle valve that be adjusted to provide the correct flow rate through the group in parallel to the gauge you are measuring the pressure with.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 2:27pm

This was posted today for me about rotary settings but it works for you as we'll. Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
MJJ

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 8:31pm

Has anybody tried the pressure gauge from Espresso Parts?

http://www.espressoparts.com/V_512

I'm wondering if it would be any better than a homemade one. It also doesn't have a needle valve.
  I'd like to lower the pressure on my Silvia V3 and want to see where the starting point is. At the moment I can't get the portafilter spout off, even after clamping it in a vice.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > question about...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.331470012665)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+