Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 15 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Italo2275

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 1:53pm
Subject: Re: Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB

So I have some updates.
I had the luck to play with the Brevil DB as I know someone who works for them. Homestly I was not impressed with it. We went though a bag of coffe trying to figure out why we could not get good crema, we even called the Tech support and they said it might be the Grinder, but I do not think so, becuase the finest setting was bottoming out the machine. Too much work and at then end of the day I do not like it. We tried differentg coffee and still same result.

So I still want to get one of the ones in my main post.
I spoke to the IDRINKCOFFE guys and they reccomended the r58 as they say it performs very well. They did mention that on the Alex duetto eventyally the PID burns out do to the locatio of where it is located.

I think any of the 3 machines I would be happy with, but now it is a matter on wich to make the investment in.
 View Profile Link to this post
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 2:14pm

Italo2275 Said:

So I have some updates.
I had the luck to play with the Brevil DB as I know someone who works for them. Homestly I was not impressed with it. We went though a bag of coffe trying to figure out why we could not get good crema, we even called the Tech support and they said it might be the Grinder, but I do not think so, becuase the finest setting was bottoming out the machine. Too much work and at then end of the day I do not like it. We tried differentg coffee and still same result.

So I still want to get one of the ones in my main post.
I spoke to the IDRINKCOFFE guys and they reccomended the r58 as they say it performs very well. They did mention that on the Alex duetto eventyally the PID burns out do to the locatio of where it is located.

I think any of the 3 machines I would be happy with, but now it is a matter on wich to make the investment in.

Posted January 29, 2013 link

You would be happy with a Duetto with a PID that will eventually burn out or a BDB that you werent impressed with and didnt like?
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 2:35pm

DavecUK Said:

The Breville does look an interesting and well thought out machine. I'm not sure how "repairable" it is, I'm sure any part can be bought, but there might come a point where maintaining it becomes very expensive. However, your view of DB E61 designs is a little distorted and in some areas plain wrong. Especially your use of the word retrofit.

I think retrofit is the right word - these look like HX machines that were home-upgraded to dual boiler PIDs by swapping and adding a few parts - but if you have a better one, I'm all ears.

Personally, I'm less interested in user repairability than I am in low price, ease of use, and basic reliability. By analogy, the first car I had was a 10 year old 1966 VW Bug. In many ways it was a great car: I did everything from tune-ups to engine overhauls with a basic set of tools from Sears. But I tired of the machine, and several upgrades later landed in a Beemer. I don't do much repair work on this car, but I have a great mechanic who has all the know-how and all the tools. I've lost user repairability and gained functionality and basic reliability. The price wasn't too bad too, since I bought it used.

But this is a matter of personal taste, not the laws of physics.

Did I mention that the BDB is half the price of these other jobs? It is, and at that rate you could buy two to ensure you always have a reserve supply of parts for adventures in appliance repair.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cuznvin

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 2:43pm

BubbaDude Said:

I think retrofit is the right word - these look like HX machines that were home-upgraded to dual boiler PIDs by swapping and adding a few parts - but if you have a better one, I'm all ears.

Personally, I'm less interested in user repairability than I am in low price, ease of use, and basic reliability. By analogy, the first car I had was a 10 year old 1966 VW Bug. In many ways it was a great car: I did everything from tune-ups to engine overhauls with a basic set of tools from Sears. But I tired of the machine, and several upgrades later landed in a Beemer. I don't do much repair work on this car, but I have a great mechanic who has all the know-how and all the tools. I've lost user repairability and gained functionality and basic reliability. The price wasn't too bad too, since I bought it used.

But this is a matter of personal taste, not the laws of physics.

Did I mention that the BDB is half the price of these other jobs? It is, and at that rate you could buy two to ensure you always have a reserve supply of parts for adventures in appliance repair.

I wouldnt say half.. The QM is 1899... BDB 1199
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 2:46pm

cuznvin Said:

I wouldnt say half.. The QM is 1899... BDB 1199

I got my BDB for $900.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
cuznvin

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 2:47pm

BubbaDude Said:

I got my BDB for $900.

Maybe you did. But that is a once a year sale. You couldnt go and buy one right now for 900
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 2:52pm

cuznvin Said:

Maybe you did. But that is a once a year sale. You couldnt go and buy one right now for 900

Today's prices start at $926.45. I bought it used from a large on-line retailer.

cuznvin

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 2:54pm

BubbaDude Said:

Today's prices start at $926.45. I bought it used from a large on-line retailer.

That isn't comparing apples to apples
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 2:56pm

cuznvin Said:

That isn't comparing apples to apples

OK, and what's the price of the R58?

Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 3:00pm

Ive owned four high end espresso machines.  Two HXs and Two Dual Boilers.  Three of them were E61 machines, one was the La Spaziale Vivaldi II.

I do like the E61 design.  As Chris Coffee will tell you in all their videos, it looks good, it makes great coffee, and its easy and cheap to service.  It comes apart easy enough with a pair of wrenches and a screwdriver or hexhead, and you have access to each valve and the lever cam.  Even with a Rotary pump it provides a smooth pressure ramp and natural pre-infusion, and I will tell you it is quite forgiving.  Not that the Vivaldi II is tough to use, but when I switched to it from an E-61, and then back to E-61 when I sold it, I noticed how much more forgiving the E61 was of slight imperfections in your shot prep.  Diligence is rewarded, but faults are not harshly punished.

Current machine is the much loved, uber popular Alex Duetto 2.  The V3 brings some nice fit-finish aspects to the table that brings the Duetto up to Quickmill levels of refinement, but internally its been a beast since version 1.  My opinion on it is that its the number 1 E61 Dual boiler Chris Coffee sells, and out of all the E61 Dual Boilers, it shares the top of the podium with one other, the Vibiemme double domo.(The differences between the DDV3 and the DuettoV3 are almost nothing,that the decision between them is really just whether you want to buy from Jim or Chris.  Since Ive always bought from Chris, thats how my decision went.)  They are the E61 DBs that have Rotary Pumps, Tank/Plumb option, tiny brew boilers and huge steam boilers, fully PID controlled, heating elements large enough that you never outrun them, and the ability to run beautifully on 110v/15amp, and the Duetto can crank over to 20amp if you want to push it to catering level capacity.

As to whether or not the E61 is a solid choice for a dual boiler design, I direct you here, for an indepth study of the temperature profile of the Alex Duetto.  

And Im not knocking the Breville either.  Im really impressed by that little guy, Id LOVE to have one to play around with.  But there is something to be said about the build level and overall equipment quality of these bigger machines, and if I had to put my money on which machine will still be cranking out drinks ten years from now, they'd both probably be there, but my money would go on the E61 tank.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
showing page 15 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.480719089508)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+