Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Alex Duetto Owners Thread
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 11 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 2:45pm
Subject: Re: Alex Duetto 3.0 on its way to me

This made me laugh....what's the point of caffein if there is nothing to go do after drinking it, lol...yeah I I think that machine you have is awesome.

germantownrob Said:

Yes, but I think if I where to got that far I would have gotten the Speedster. http://www.keesvanderwesten.com/speedster_options.html but that choice would have had me sell my race car or at least my collection of R/C race trucks, what's the point of caffein if there is nothing to go do after drinking it, lol. Also I never did much research on either the Speedster or the GS3 and wonder if cutting edge features and looks would give the same level as build as the DT1 for a lot more money. I didn't mind compromising and saving money on the Duetto for the features, I could have 2 Duettos, softener and filter to plumb both, Pullman custom tamper, and every other accessory I want for the price of one GS3. I guess we all have a line that is just to much to spend.

Posted January 21, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 2:51pm

germantownrob Said:

Yes, but I think if I where to got that far I would have gotten the Speedster. http://www.keesvanderwesten.com/speedster_options.html but that choice would have had me sell my race car or at least my collection of R/C race trucks, what's the point of caffein if there is nothing to go do after drinking it, lol. Also I never did much research on either the Speedster or the GS3 and wonder if cutting edge features and looks would give the same level as build as the DT1 for a lot more money. I didn't mind compromising and saving money on the Duetto for the features, I could have 2 Duettos, softener and filter to plumb both, Pullman custom tamper, and every other accessory I want for the price of one GS3. I guess we all have a line that is just to much to spend.

+1 to all that  but if I get to Speedster money I would have to consider Synesso Hydra. I am afraid as much as i love the way the speedster looks the Hydra would win out.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013, 4:02pm

jwoodyu Said:

+1 to all that  but if I get to Speedster money I would have to consider Synesso Hydra. I am afraid as much as i love the way the speedster looks the Hydra would win out.

I have seen you mention the Hydra before as well as some others but never looked at it, http://www.synesso.com/default.aspx?ID=8 , WOW! Ok that officially went on the short list for my children's high school graduation gift for myself. It's good to dream, heck they might graduate.

Honestly I love the looks of the speedster so much I could care less if it where a couple of gerbils running on a wheel instead of a rotary pump. I can say that since it is a dream machine and when ever I achieve my dreams it takes me a long time to find new a new one, best not to achieve them, lol.
steven_meyer

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0, ECM  Giotto...
Grinder: HG-One, Mahlkonig K-30 vario
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 4:05am

germantownrob Said:

I have the exact noise at the start of a shot.

Steven, did you have the steam or water knob loosen on you?

Hi Rob. Luckily I haven't had that issue. I called CC and asked about that noise we are hearing. I was told it sounded like the OPV valve. the suggestion was to tamp a little lighter.  A little test, when that noise starts, look at the pressure guage and see if there is an increase.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 6:12am

If you think it is OPV you can turn the pump down. 10+ seem pretty high to me. I would assume there is a little variation model to model like Oscar to Duetto but I would think the Duetto should be fairly consistent. The documentation from Chris use to say they adjusted them all for 9 but I am not sure if they still do. In any event dialing it back would be an interesting test.

Can you record and post the sound? I don't know that it will read in a cell phone video or sound recording but it might.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 3:04pm

steven_meyer Said:

Hi Rob. Luckily I haven't had that issue. I called CC and asked about that noise we are hearing. I was told it sounded like the OPV valve. the suggestion was to tamp a little lighter.  A little test, when that noise starts, look at the pressure guage and see if there is an increase.

Posted January 22, 2013 link

jwoodyu Said:

If you think it is OPV you can turn the pump down. 10+ seem pretty high to me. I would assume there is a little variation model to model like Oscar to Duetto but I would think the Duetto should be fairly consistent. The documentation from Chris use to say they adjusted them all for 9 but I am not sure if they still do. In any event dialing it back would be an interesting test.

Can you record and post the sound? I don't know that it will read in a cell phone video or sound recording but it might.

Posted January 22, 2013 link

So I wanted to get back to this, now that I am getting used to the machine and changing some things for a new machine I have discovered how not to get the sound. The E-61 protrudes lower when locking the PF in so all the dose sizes I used on Oscar are to much for the Duetto, my HQ triple ridgeless on the Oscar could handle 25g, max on Duetto is 23 and only certain beans. By lower my max dose to 22.7g the noise completely disapeared. I had checked the clearance a few times and settled on 23g being max dose for that basket but I did not do it with a coin.

I am really getting comfortable with the Duetto on my second week, many little changes to my technique are becoming second nature this last two days. The ability to just walk up to the machine and pull consistent tasting shots all day long is soooooo nice, no drama, no thought except for grinder and dose changes. I have only been playing with Aleco blend I have roasted which has led to a couple of temperature changes I have made. This blend seems to like a lower temp, 200f, when 4-5days old then to keep the flavor the same as it ages I adjust the temp up to 202f. This makes me very happy, I believe I mentioned before I have certain beans where the window I like them best was very small, this opens up a longer window of enjoyment I was over looking before.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2013, 8:31pm

Interesting on the noise thing. Glad your settling in with it. The machine just sorta gets out of the way and let's you worry about other stuff like your grinder etc

kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 1:34pm

Hi guys, do you guys find that your shots are almost too mellow with a dual boiler machine? since rob is new to the dual boiler he probly understands what I'm talking about. I just upgraded from the alex2 hx to the alex duetto right after rob got his machine. so far I'm getting totally different taste profiles with the DB. not bad but different than what I'm used to.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013, 8:22am

kboom1 Said:

Hi guys, do you guys find that your shots are almost too mellow with a dual boiler machine? since rob is new to the dual boiler he probly understands what I'm talking about. I just upgraded from the alex2 hx to the alex duetto right after rob got his machine. so far I'm getting totally different taste profiles with the DB. not bad but different than what I'm used to.

Posted January 26, 2013 link

I find the wild card factor of the HX is not there, I had not thought of it terms of mellow but it makes sense. I have been working with the same blend since I got the Duetto, I have made temp adjustments as the bean aged to find I can keep a very similar taste for a longer period of time then I knew how to do on an HX. If I look at this from the perspective of mellowed the Duetto has let me play with variables with a greater degree of accuracy while the HX added the wild card that led to some very interesting one off shots I could never reproduce. While keeping the temp the same I am able to focus on grind and dose to influence the shots flavor, this allows me to bring more chocolate flavors out or to clear them up and go for more florals and fruits so I am taking this mellowness as a benefit to dial in what I want at the moment.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com) I always have been intrigued by this comparison. Dan thought the HX hump would benefit one coffee while the DB would benefit a different bean, that is not how the tasting worked out though.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 9:03am

Rob that 10+ bar has me wondering. I was poking around found this and other post on the subject were Jim goes into more detail.  I turned mine down to just a little over 8 from a little over 9 on a blind using the onboard gauge (I know but...) and i have been pretty happy so far. It was not an Ah-Ha momment but so far I am digging in the cup.

I wonder if Chris's guys calibrate those with a scace before they go? Think i would ask because if 10+ on your gauge is really 9 on a scace that might be handy to know down the road.

showing page 11 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.512764930725)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+