Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Alex Duetto Owners Thread
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 13 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 8:31am
Subject: Re: Alex Duetto 3.0 on its way to me

cuznvin Said:Funny but I don't think the ecm Germany boilers are insulated

You are correct-the 1st Line ECM Germany boilers are not insulated.

WS
 View Profile Link to this post
kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 9:36am
Subject: Re: Alex Duetto 3.0 on its way to me (arrived)

on my alex hx the boiler had the black foam insulation which left a residue all over evrything including my ceiling over top my machine. When I ordered my duetto I made sure the newer white insulation was used. The ECM Technika looks interesting, I think I seen a post that said the boiler wasn't insulated but the side panels were. I took robs lead and decided to try some different beans. Just roasted some guats and el sal's I got from barefoot instead of the usual africans and dp's. going to try and single dose a few different varietals to see how long it will take to dial in each one with the duetto.
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 9:57am

kboom1 Said:

on my alex hx the boiler had the black foam insulation which left a residue all over evrything including my ceiling over top my machine. When I ordered my duetto I made sure the newer white insulation was used. The ECM Technika looks interesting, I think I seen a post that said the boiler wasn't insulated but the side panels were. I took robs lead and decided to try some different beans. Just roasted some guats and el sal's I got from barefoot instead of the usual africans and dp's. going to try and single dose a few different varietals to see how long it will take to dial in each one with the duetto.

Posted February 2, 2013 link

And residue in your lungs. I dont like the fact that the insulation became airborne.
kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 10:43am

It was nasty for sure. I didnt set my cups on top thank god.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 6:03am

I got the pump vibration noise again this morning, louder then ever. I am going to pop the top and try and get a video to get the sound and a shot of the pump if I can recreate it on demand. I don't post to you tube but when done I will email it to anyone interested.

If I dose 22g in a HQ triple or less no sound, 22.1-22.7g make the sound some of the time, 23g hits the screen and pretty sure will reproduce the sound every time I think, not a sound that is comforting to hear so I have avoided it. This brings up the problem that my 25g triples have gone the way of the Dodo bird, this saddens me but I will cope, but it does make my 8 oz cap cups useless or at least empty looking when used. This makes me think that every other triple I have would be difficult to even get 21g in them, any advice from triple fans would great.
CSME9
CSME9

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 10:01am

As nice as the 3.0 is, I think they should have added a hinged door similar to the QM 67 that would lift to fill the water tank if it's not plumbed in. Having to remove cups and cup warmer tray would get tire some soon. I guess every machine has pro's and cons.

Can you tell me how much water is left in the tank when the low water beeb sounds ?

Thanks, WS
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 10:26am

volume of water left depends on whether you have an in talk filter/softener.  I haven't measured it, but I'd guess it's maybe a half inch or so from the bottom.

Oh, I have a DII.

I have to say I ran my tank dry once when the alarm didn't go off.  I don't know if the float got stuck or it it was a timing issue, but I didn't know it was dry until the pump shuddered and the machine shut down.  It was really scary, as it happened in the middle of a shot and was followed by a rapid compete drop in brew pressure down to 0 before I realized what happened.  In fact, I didn't realize what happened until after I refilled the tank and found the machine to run normally.  This occured after running three two lattes and a cappuccino, a chemical backflush, and the a "cleaner shot".  the next shot was a double, which precipitated the shutdown.  Geez, I can't wait to get plumbed in.  I think it may happen soon...finally!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 10:33am

CSME9 Said:

As nice as the 3.0 is, I think they should have added a hinged door similar to the QM 67 that would lift to fill the water tank if it's not plumbed in. Having to remove cups and cup warmer tray would get tire some soon. I guess every machine has pro's and cons.

Can you tell me how much water is left in the tank when the low water beeb sounds ?

Thanks, WS

Posted February 3, 2013 link

Nope, to anal to ever let it get that low. Yes it is a pain and my schedule has not let me plumb in yet.i knew getting into the Duetto that tank use was going to be a pain but I like the option, I would not have a usable machine yet if it did not have a tank. The QM would not change that I use a beer bong set up to fill the tank under the cabs, and I would have to remove all or most of the cups to get back there, one step to remove all the cups on the Duetto.

I never considered the QM67 since it is not plumbable and does not have a rotary pump.
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 11:30am

Hey Rob,

I too just acquired an Alex Duetto, actually the day your ordered yours, I was at Chris Coffee picking mine up.  Mine is a Version 2.  When I was there, Mary showed me the two versions side by side in the showroom(As well as let me pull shots and play with almost every machine they've got..  I LOOOVE going up there lol), and if I had the extra money, I for sure would have bought the Version 3, but at the same time, I didn't feel the need to skip over the Version 2.  Thats how I would suggest it to anyone looking to buy, if you've got the extra $, get the 3, but if not, still get the 2 because its still a wonderful machine.  

Version 3 takes the Duetto to Quickmills level of refinement/fit and finish.  And to the QM67, same for me, I wasn't going with another vibe pump machine, I wanted to get back to the Rotary/plumb, even though Im running tank atm.  But, for someone who simply can't plumb in, that QM67 is a damn steal of a machine.

ANYWAY..

With regards to triples..

Do you have an original La Marzocco triple basket?  Its the biggest triple basket I know of.  It comes with some bottomless portafilters(if you bought a bottomless from Chris, you probably have it), but if not, its available everywhere, including ChrisCoffee.  If any basket will allow you to dose higher, it will be that one.  

Also, this is my third E61 machine, and I think the Duetto needs a tad more headroom then my previous Anita and Andreja.  I think this is because, and Im not sure just basing it on experiences, Im pretty sure they're using a thicker grouphead gasket than I normally use.  I would bet it could even be a 9mm, if not an 8.5mm.  Ive always used an 8mm, if not a 7.5mm when I can find them.  I like to use La Marzocco portafilters, which need to be modified slightly to fit the E61 group snugly, which I do by using a skinny gasket, and filing down the part of the portafilter under the basket rim.  So, maybe buy yourself an 8mm grouphead gasket, or a 7.5mm if you can find one, and try that.  Im going to do the same, Ill let you know what happens.

My machine's pump only makes a funny sound when I refill the tank.  There is usally a slight air bubble in the water feed line, which when it gets to the pump makes a funny, "ZZZZAAAAaaammm" sound.  Its quick, and the machine returns to normal operation right away, every time.  I suspect your pumps sound is something similar, having to do with the fact that these rotary pumps aren't getting constant feed, they're pulling out of tank.  Id assume when you plumb in, it'd go away.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 11:47am

I am working on some Ethiopia Illubabor Hana Bosoke Heirloom, it is so much tamer on the Duetto then it was on my HX, I usually blended it with some brazil for a daily user, no need on the Duetto actually the opposite, I am trying temps to bring out more flavor. Flat temp profile of the DB? Vibe pump vs rotary pump? Temp? Another variable is I just turned my max pump pressure down to 9 bar on a blind.

A drop from 210f down to 200f made a big difference, getting the baked peaches now. I will try 199f to see what happens. Now that the cup has cooled slightly the cocoa is mixing with the baked peaches, yummy.  Still just amazed what a 1f change can do to tune in a shot.
showing page 13 of 21 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Alex Duetto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.514662027359)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+