Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Great grinder, crappy machine.  Help a newbie?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Great grinder,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 5:24pm
Subject: Great grinder, crappy machine.  Help a newbie?

(I have been getting into espresso after learning how good a shot can be at a good coffee shop in Austin (Houndstooth, if you are from the area)

I upgraded my grinder to a Baritza Vario, which I got last night.  My current machine is a Delonghi K-Mix (Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com))  Everyone always says you can make good espresso with a good grinder and a weak machine, but not vice-versa.  I'm starting to have my doubts, though.

I am upgrading to a Breville Dual Boiler, but i won't have that for another week or so.  In the interim, I am trying to see how good of a shot I can make on the DeLonghi.   When I make a latte on this, it tastes great.  However, I have been tasting the shots before making the latte, and they are awful - very bitter.  It makes me think that if all I cared about was lattes, *any* machine would work.  The milk seems to make up for all kinds of sins.

Here are some of my questions/issues.  Bear in mind that I have only a few things I can tweak:  grind, amount, and time.

1)  Is this kind of a machine capable of making a "good" shot?  I'm not hoping for God shot, just something that is drinkable as a shot.
2)  Currently, my shots take about 15 seconds to get started, which I know is long.  But they blond about 25 seconds in, and are almost clear very quickly after that.  What should I adjust?  Just coarser grind?
3)  This machine has a pressurized portafilter.  Should I tamp with the standard 30 lbs of pressure?  Or does the tamping not really matter with a pressurized portafilter?

Thanks in advance for you help.  I think it is an interesting experiment to see what this machine can do.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 6:14pm
Subject: Re: Great grinder, crappy machine.  Help a newbie?

ditch the PPF, then we can help you.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
tinytot2

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 6:52pm

Are you tamping?  You don't need to with a pressurized portafilter.  That could be causing the long extractions & bitterness.

Shots on my Barista machine took about 15 seconds when I used the pressurized basket.  I think the 25 second rule is more for unpressurized baskets.

Definitely use the unpressurized baskets when you get the Dual Boiler.
AlexKilpatrick

Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 7:43pm

emradguy Said:

ditch the PPF, then we can help you.

Posted February 2, 2013 link

I know people say they are terrible, but I don't really know why.  Can someone explain what problems they cause?

I did some more experimentation tonight, and I was able to vary between "bad" and "horrible" by changing the grind.
AlexKilpatrick

Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 9:17pm

OK, based on this tip, I read some more about PPF, and this definitely seems like a limitation.  More of a coffee soup than a real pressurization.  

I popped off the valve at the bottom, basically turning the pressurized portafilter into a normal one.  Made a shot with it.  I wouldn't say it was great, but it was drinkable, and WAY better than what I had with the PPF, without changing anything else.  

I have no idea why companies use PPFs.  I know they are supposed to be "more forgiving," but I certainly didn't see it.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 9:40pm

If companies that sell espresso machines want to make money it follows the more they sell the more they make. If they can sell a machine that makes the majority of people
make a espresso like substance while telling them its espresso they will sell more machines . The small hole creates a fake pressure and people think its espresso. Espresso
is made when pressurized water at the right temperature is forced through the beans.The beans cause the resistance as the correct  pressurized water at the right  temperature
rips the essence of that coffee out in a 30 second pull. Before you buy any machine do your homework everything in the market place isnt grade double A.

AlexKilpatrick Said:

OK, based on this tip, I read some more about PPF, and this definitely seems like a limitation.  More of a coffee soup than a real pressurization.  

I popped off the valve at the bottom, basically turning the pressurized portafilter into a normal one.  Made a shot with it.  I wouldn't say it was great, but it was drinkable, and WAY better than what I had with the PPF, without changing anything else.  

I have no idea why companies use PPFs.  I know they are supposed to be "more forgiving," but I certainly didn't see it.

Posted February 2, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Great grinder,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.384493112564)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+