Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Whats the easiest way to opv?
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Whats the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Smclaughlin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Nuova simonelli...
Roaster: Naviera coffee mills tampa...
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 11:34am
Subject: Whats the easiest way to opv?

I heard the oscar ns does not have an adjustable opv and I seen on here that people have found ways too do it will it really make a difference in brewing ?  
I havent been able yet too get that reddish brown crema I realize as well theres other factors like grind, coffee freshness I'm still looking for that nice shot....
Btw hi everyone.
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 11:40am
Subject: Re: Whats the easiest way to opv?

Other more important factors:
1 - What grinder are you using? No grinder is as good as a guarantee that there will be poor extractions.
2 - What coffee are you using?
3 - How long since it was roasted?

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 11:47am

I am going to trick out Oscar next weekend.  I am not going to add an OPV.  I don't think it really needs it.  Will post info on what I do to it.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 1:01pm

Helen, Plindy, and I are actually getting together for a complete Oscar teardown and rebuild. I'm bringing a professional camera and will be documenting the entire experience. None of us are adding an OPV. Instead, we'll be adding flow-restricting gicleurs to the heat exchanger to better balance the temperature changes and water dance. I don't know about reddish brown crema, but a thick, 3/4" pillow of golden brown crema is pretty standard on my semi-broken Oscar with cheap beans. I think the red crema comes from using certain boutique coffee beans from roasters with Hipstery names.

You mentioned a leak and now you're suddenly asking about adding an OPV. Did you find the source of the leak? If you're not sure what the part is, you can post a picture. You gotta give us more information on your setup so we can advise you. As posted above, what's your grinder? If you're using an electric grinder with an MSRP under $300 that could be the issue right there.
Smclaughlin

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 4:39pm

I think the water is coming from the the two hollow pockets on the side of the driptray..
How are you goin to trick the oscar out I suppose this will enhance its performance? Is adding a pid to the oscar an upgrade or good idea, if so is it hard to install one?  

I looked at the pump today after laying the oscar on its back and the date read 14/12/00 I suppose thats the year 2000 if so would that tell me what year the one I have came out
What are some smart upgrades for my oscar since I dont think its the one of the newer ones

HI EVERYONE.
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 6:05pm

First of all, HI. And Welcome to Coffee Geeks.

Second of all, you still haven't let us know what kind of grinder you're using. We simply can't help you if you don't let us know. 2000 is a very old Oscar indeed, and it likely has a few things that could need replacing. The biggest of these is the pressurestat, or PSTAT. Older Oscars came with a tiny, fragile one, made by Mater. The newer ones use big, fist-sized units, made by Sirai. Did you take the top off your Oscar? It's six screws, with two under the water reservoir lid.

PIDs are generally not modded onto Heat Exchanger machines, due to how they work. You need to learn to "water dance," which is a term for properly gauging the time of your cooling flush before each shot. It's not terribly hard and can be summed up by saying that as soon as the water has stopped hissing/boiling, you're probably okay to brew.

The mods we're undergoing are adding flow-restricting gicleurs to the group head so that our water dance is more stable, a linear steam valve, like on an Aurelia or Appia, instead of a knob, and a vacuum breaker, which will allow us to put the Oscar on a timer. Without the vacuum breaker, the Oscar needs someone to turn the steam knob briefly to bleed the false pressure before the unit can properly heat up. We're also dunking our parts in descaler and I'm getting a new boiler insulation sock (yay!).

SMC, please do the following: Let us know what kind of grinder you have. I can understand if you don't want to tell us because if you have something like a Capresso Infinity, you'll immediately be told by everyone on this forum to go out and drop a few Bennies on a real grinder or get a Hario hand grinder. It's just how espresso works. And please take the cover off your machine so we can try and help you pinpoint that leak. If you don't take the cover off, it could be anything from your two way valve leaking to your heat exchanger failing. We just won't know until you do it.

Also, sniff the steam coming out of the wand. Does it smell funky? You probably need a descale. When was the last time the machine had a detergent backflush? A gasket/shower screen replacement? These are some things to consider.
Smclaughlin

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 6:26pm

I have been buying beans from a local roaster and taking them to sweetbay to grind them on the grinder they have in coffe e aisle, but I just orderd a hario mini that should get to me next to me next wedk.i did open uo the oscar today and took bottom screws off and I only saw small droplets coming from the middle section where the screw goes I mentioned earlier that the hollow pockets on the side of the drip tray seem to collect water and the water seems to slide out at the bottom.
I de scaled the oscar on 1/18/13.
Smclaughlin

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 6:39pm

Btw what are the advantages of the new pstat over the older pstats on the oscar ..any noticeable advantages?
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 7:07pm

The Hario mini is a good start, though I would have recommended the Skerton, if you can still exchange it. It grinds faster and is easier to adjust and modify.

You mentioned you took the bottom panel out, but not the top panel. If you take the top off, you should be able to see where the leak is coming from if you use a light. See how it behaves with the top off when brewing and when not brewing. A supermarket grinder will not cut it, so don't get discouraged if you're not pulling anything drinkable yet.

The old Pstats were harder to adjust and failed much more easily than the new Sirai ones. But if it works, best let it be.
Smclaughlin

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 7:31pm

Why would those grinders in sweetbay not work I think to myself sometimes hence they go all the way to turkish żAnyway dont have much to invest now well see how the hario does

I did observed it with top off markarian and saw droplets coming out the middle section were the screw went but again the screw was off I in inspected while flushing water ou the group head and nothing that I was looking at was leaking I tightened the screws on tight and due for later,obsevation .

I left it on now for abour an hour now and the counter does not have a puddle but like I said ther is slots on both sides if the drip tray water seems to go in there and slide through but I not saying that is it yet...
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Whats the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.379647016525)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+