Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 80 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
washburned

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: Baratza vario
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 5:05am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

My pressure gauge has stopped working. The machine seems to be working the same. Is there an easy fix?
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 5:36am

Very likely the pipette from the multifunction valve to the gauge has clogged with a bit of calcium.  The tube is very narrow but you can separate it from the multivalve (Right there on the body of the pressostat on top of the boiler) and poke it clean with a long thin length of baling wire.  While doing this, it couldn't hurt to take the whole multi valve off of the boiler, separate it from the pressostat and descale the breather-valve side of the multi.
If you have access to a compressor, you can blast the end of the gauge's pipette with air and see if the needle moves to test whether you've cleaned the blockage or not. Alternatively, if the gauge isn't cleanable/repairable, now that you've got it out, you see how easy it is to replace should you order a new one.
MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 8:31pm

Quick question Cuadra owners.

What does your boiler pressure drop to when steaming?  Just curious as mine seems to go fairly low rather quickly.  Pretty much as soon as I open the valve a turn, it drops to .7-.8 BAR.   Seems to be a little low, no?
slybarman
slybarman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 8:53pm

MDiddy Said:

Quick question Cuadra owners.

What does your boiler pressure drop to when steaming?  Just curious as mine seems to go fairly low rather quickly.  Pretty much as soon as I open the valve a turn, it drops to .7-.8 BAR.   Seems to be a little low, no?

Posted February 28, 2013 link

LOL. You are determined to have a problem with your boiler.  You may be a cofeecondriach. The pressure will drop while steaming.
MDiddy

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 9:46pm

slybarman Said:

LOL. You are determined to have a problem with your boiler.  You may be a cofeecondriach. The pressure will drop while steaming.

It's the OCD in me.  :D

I only ask, because doing some research, I've found other machines such as the Giotto only drop maybe .1 or .2 BAR, where mine is dropping .6 or .7.  

Just curious to see if I have an issue or it's just a Cuadra thing.
cruizie

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Roaster: Poppery
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 10:01pm

MDiddy Said:

I only ask, because doing some research, I've found other machines such as the Giotto only drop maybe .1 or .2 BAR, where mine is dropping .6 or .7.  

My pressure drops quite a bit also.  After about 20 seconds of steaming 10 oz of milk in a 20 oz pitcher, the pressure drops to less than .5 and isn't really moving the milk very well and I'm not even close to 145 degrees yet.  I've been thinking about increasing the pressure.  I'm idling at 1.1 right now.
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 7:17am

MDiddy Said:

I will preface my response by saying I have just enough knowledge to be a danger to myself and others. I would think to make an apples-to-apples comparison of the different machines you first need to know:

1) boiler capacity
2) Pressure settings of each machine
3) The volume of steam/time by released by each machine
4) margin of error of the gauges

Having said that, yes, the pressure on the gauge drops off fairly quickly but I have no problem steaming enough milk on the cuadra for 2 milk drinks at a time.

If you boiler were over-filing as the the one fellow mentioned to someone a couple pages back, I could imagine that would reduce the volume of steam the boiler would have, but I do not know that for a fact.
MDiddy

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 7:24pm

slybarman Said:

I will preface my response by saying I have just enough knowledge to be a danger to myself and others. I would think to make an apples-to-apples comparison of the different machines you first need to know:

1) boiler capacity
2) Pressure settings of each machine
3) The volume of steam/time by released by each machine
4) margin of error of the gauges

Having said that, yes, the pressure on the gauge drops off fairly quickly but I have no problem steaming enough milk on the cuadra for 2 milk drinks at a time.

If you boiler were over-filing as the the one fellow mentioned to someone a couple pages back, I could imagine that would reduce the volume of steam the boiler would have, but I do not know that for a fact.

Posted March 1, 2013 link

Sly,

Here's a thread I found on HB of a Giotto user showing a similar drop off in pressure when steaming:

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

The machine is all but identical to ours and he seemed to resolve his issue with a different steam tip.

There's also a few posts in this thread of machines with similar boilers/heating elements and their drops seem no where near as drastic.

Click Here (www.toomuchcoffee.com)

I noticed this morning when making my latte, the pressure dropped to around .5 BAR while steaming.   I had an ok swirl going but it definitely felt like it lost a bit of oomph.   Would it be possible for you to see how yours does when steaming next time?  Curious what kind of drop you're seeing.

Cruize,

I run my boiler a 1.2, so it's something you may want to try, especially if it's dropping that low while steaming.
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 7:33pm

I'll try to take note of it in the morning.  I am using a two hole tip.
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 6:01am

My Pstat is turned down fairly low. The machine idles at .9 bar. When th element kicks on it goes up to about 1.05 bar.

When I started steaming milk for my latte, the boiler was at .9 bar. When I was finished it was at about .65 - .7 bar.

Obviously, the change is pressure will be effected by how far you open the valve and for how long, etc.

Hope that helps.

slybarman: 2013-03-02 07.53.11.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 80 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.425684928894)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+