Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Futurmat Ariete?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Futurmat Ariete?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
myallawala
myallawala
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 4:47pm
Subject: Futurmat Ariete?

So I'm on my 5th or 6th machine (who's counting?) and I think I have some time before I really need something more. It's a Crossland CC1 and it's pretty fantastic. I understand basically the mechanics of the machine and machines in general. I figured if I should ever have the opportunity to pick up a machine in so-so condition that I would be willing to put some elbow grease in to fixin' it up.

So I found this Futurmat Ariete single group for what I figured was a reasonable price. When I inspected it, the steam valves worked, the hot water tap was sending out hot water, and the group was sending out water (although it was very little compared to my CC1 and what wand/valve had set my expectations to). The buttons, knobs, and switches all seem to be in working order. I read on it and popped it open and it looks like a 110V boiler/pump with a 7L capacity. I see a single inlet hose and a place for a drain hose. The power prong is a basic 3 prong. It was bent to fit a normal socket, but I bent it back with the intent of finding a proper electrical source.

Can anyone tell me anything about this machine? The literature is limited and in different languages. It looks very neat--huge capacity, E61, heat exchanger, and the valve and dual steam wands look way more fun than my (now seemingly) smaller CC1.

What would be the cost of getting it up and running? Or what's the price of the machine if I were to decide it were too much to deal with? OR it's value should I have it repaired?

myallawala: 798428_567363849942361_776360317_o.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 6:00am
Subject: Re: Futurmat Ariete - Just acquired a new machine. What have I gotten myself in

I am not sure about something.
What voltage is the data plate displaying? You say the prongs were bent on the plug which leads me to think it may be a 220v machine that someone tried to force to run on 110v

Did it have a plug with the two main prongs configured like this   --  1 and it was bent to be   1  1   ?

PS, please do not use ALL the spaces in the title bar, the software adds  " Re: " to the title and if you use all the space, it forces anyone who answers you to edit the subject bar to be shorter so they can post. Thanks.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
myallawala
myallawala

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 3:39pm
Subject: -

calblacksmith Said:

I am not sure about something.
What voltage is the data plate displaying? You say the prongs were bent on the plug which leads me to think it may be a 220v machine that someone tried to force to run on 110v

Did it have a plug with the two main prongs configured like this   --  1 and it was bent to be   1  1   ?

PS, please do not use ALL the spaces in the title bar, the software adds  " Re: " to the title and if you use all the space, it forces anyone who answers you to edit the subject bar to be shorter so they can post. Thanks.

Posted February 5, 2013 link

The voltage on the pump and the boiler read 110V and there is a sticker (which I am guessing is the data plate) but it's been badly blotched. The guy who sold me it ran it on a 110V home kitchen line and it worked fine on mine. I stopped plugging it in when I saw the bent plug. I followed the plug to see what wires came out of it and there were only 3 (which I think is the 110V distinction vs the 4 wire 220v?).

The prong was configured like -- 1 with the circular (ground? sorry, I don't know my electrical stuff very well) below the two.

Sorry about the title. I edited it and this current post so any following shouldn't have an issue. It's been a while that I've used a forum board.

Edit: What problem am I looking at if the pump works when the machine is cold but refuses to autofill or pull water while the machine is heated? The pump rattles like hell and doesn't put water to the boiler or the heat exchanger when the machine is hot. I can't test the group because nothing flows through it while it's cold and of course while it's hot the pump holds out on me.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 5:45am
Subject: Re: -

myallawala Said:

The voltage on the pump and the boiler read 110V and there is a sticker (which I am guessing is the data plate) but it's been badly blotched. The guy who sold me it ran it on a 110V home kitchen line and it worked fine on mine. I stopped plugging it in when I saw the bent plug. I followed the plug to see what wires came out of it and there were only 3 (which I think is the 110V distinction vs the 4 wire 220v?).

The prong was configured like -- 1 with the circular (ground? sorry, I don't know my electrical stuff very well) below the two.

Sorry about the title. I edited it and this current post so any following shouldn't have an issue. It's been a while that I've used a forum board.

Edit: What problem am I looking at if the pump works when the machine is cold but refuses to autofill or pull water while the machine is heated? The pump rattles like hell and doesn't put water to the boiler or the heat exchanger when the machine is hot. I can't test the group because nothing flows through it while it's cold and of course while it's hot the pump holds out on me.

Posted February 5, 2013 link

You do not need to remove the title completely, just leave 3 or 4 spaces at the end!

Your plug is a 20 amp 120V plug.
220v can and very often is done with only 3 wires, two hot and a ground so that is not an indication alone.

It sounds like you have a leak some place and air is entering the system, preventing the pump from moving water.  Hot or cold should not affect the flow of brew water through the group head

Does the system try to autofill the boiler and no water is moving or does the system not even try to turn on?

I took another look at your machine, going strictly on looks, it really looks like a rebadged Brazillia machine, I have a similar looking two group machine from them. You have a volumetric dosed, plumb in (looks like) machine and taking that into account, rotary pump.

Sorry if my thinking is wandering around a bit, I am thinking with my fingers on the keyboard, the post is progressing as I am thinking, it was not thought out completely before typing, sorry.

A pic or two inside the machine would help a lot to know what is in there. Being volumetric dosed, you have crude computers in there. You may have a bad or intermittent connection someplace too.

EDIT, OK, disregard most of the above, I did take the time to go look for that machine and found the rotary pump and like I said volumetric stuff etc.
You might be interested in a HB thread from 07 where someone goes through their machine,
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Not to take anything away from the CC1, you have 10 times the machine that the CC1 will ever be so if you can get it working properly, you may very well be happy for the rest of your espresso life with that machine, barring any cost prohibitive breakdown of computers etc.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
xaderrick
xaderrick
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Le'Lit PL041
Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Drip: Mr. Coffee
Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 7:50am

You might have some luck searching for a Bunn machine, it looks pretty similar to me.

If its basically the same machine you can try looking here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BUG-is-Bunn/?yguid=173997853
myallawala
myallawala

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 11:43am

calblacksmith Said:

You do not need to remove the title completely, just leave 3 or 4 spaces at the end!

Your plug is a 20 amp 120V plug.
220v can and very often is done with only 3 wires, two hot and a ground so that is not an indication alone.

It sounds like you have a leak some place and air is entering the system, preventing the pump from moving water.  Hot or cold should not affect the flow of brew water through the group head

Does the system try to autofill the boiler and no water is moving or does the system not even try to turn on?

I took another look at your machine, going strictly on looks, it really looks like a rebadged Brazillia machine, I have a similar looking two group machine from them. You have a volumetric dosed, plumb in (looks like) machine and taking that into account, rotary pump.

Sorry if my thinking is wandering around a bit, I am thinking with my fingers on the keyboard, the post is progressing as I am thinking, it was not thought out completely before typing, sorry.

A pic or two inside the machine would help a lot to know what is in there. Being volumetric dosed, you have crude computers in there. You may have a bad or intermittent connection someplace too.

EDIT, OK, disregard most of the above, I did take the time to go look for that machine and found the rotary pump and like I said volumetric stuff etc.
You might be interested in a HB thread from 07 where someone goes through their machine,
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Not to take anything away from the CC1, you have 10 times the machine that the CC1 will ever be so if you can get it working properly, you may very well be happy for the rest of your espresso life with that machine, barring any cost prohibitive breakdown of computers etc.

Posted February 6, 2013 link

So I am apparently clueless on what the 20A 120V plug means in my case. Should I stop plugging it in? I've been in touch with a guy who is familiar with this machine and tells me its no good for home use as-is and that if I bring it to him he could make it so.

The boiler autofills upon start up if it is cold. If I open the tap until the water level is below the normal line the autofill will kick on again but won't fill. I will get some pictures up soon but I do believe it is a rotary pump and, as you said, volumetric dosing.

I actually read through that entire thread before I bought the machine. The problems look similar. I also had the computer lock-up happen (where the lights blink and buttons are non responsive). Thankfully that other guy found instructions on resetting it.

I bought the CC1 because I live with my parents (high school senior--going to college next semester). I was going to buy something bigger but, not my house, not my choice. I can't even bring this Futurmat inside the house. I look forward to the day I find a place for this machine and a big shiny mazzer to serve my daily needs.

xaderrick Said:

You might have some luck searching for a Bunn machine, it looks pretty similar to me.

If its basically the same machine you can try looking here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BUG-is-Bunn/?yguid=173997853

Posted February 8, 2013 link

I think I read somewhere that they were similar but couldn't find any info. Thanks for the link.. I'll see if I can find any useful information there.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Futurmat Ariete?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Jebana from Ethiopia
Ultra Low Tech, for the CoffeeGeek with everything. Beautiful, and Functional too.
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.477988004684)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+