Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
entry level espresso machine
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > entry level...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Olympia Maxima,...
Grinder: Compak K-10 WBC, Gaggia MDF
Drip: Hario V60
Roaster: Nondescript popper
Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 6:09am
Subject: Re: entry level espresso machine

Iluvdabean Said:

Correction:

Rancillio Silvia isnt a steam toy!

Posted February 6, 2013 link

Dear ILUVDABEAN,

I think he was putting all steam toys together, separated by the comma, then mentioning his espresso machines, of which the RancSil is a member of machines.

Dear DaninMaryland,

Many of us travel with a Mypressi handheld (real) espresso machine.  Do you live near Baltimore?  I will be moving there this year.  Use my email if you have any coffee cafe suggestions.  Thanx.

Dear Stats,

Sorry to wander off topic.   However, the Mypressi does make good espresso, and it is relatively cheap new.  You will not have to have seals replaced and the unit checked out as you will when buying any used machine.  The downside is that it does not steam milk, and maybe your nephew would like something that makes him feel more like a home barista?

Buckley
 View Profile Link to this post
Buckley

Espresso: Londinium I, Olympia Maxima,...
Grinder: Compak K-10 WBC, Gaggia MDF
Drip: Hario V60
Roaster: Nondescript popper
Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 6:15am

CharityV Said:

Well, to be fair, Wichita Falls, which is about ten minutes south of the Oklahoma border. Since it's my only experience in that vast state, no I am not swearing off the entire state, but it was definitely culture shock for this native of coffee country. :)

Posted February 7, 2013 link

Yes, Witchita Falls is death by slow coffee starvation.  Sorry for your troubles.

B
DaninMaryland

Espresso: V2 Silvia
Grinder: Vario-W
Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 9:08am

Buckley Said:

Dear ILUVDABEAN,

Dear DaninMaryland,

Many of us travel with a Mypressi handheld (real) espresso machine.  Do you live near Baltimore?  I will be moving there this year.  Use my email if you have any coffee cafe suggestions.  Thanx.

Buckley

Posted February 8, 2013 link

Yes, i live in Annapolis. just 30 minutes south.  there is a great roaster in Annapolis, Ceremony Coffee.  look them up
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 7:42pm

WF! I remember when my brother joined the air force he was first stationed there. Yeah, for sure a desolate place. I think it's like 2hrs to Dallas which is prolly the closest good coffee. Was culture shock for me too, as we grew up in Los Angeles

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
espnewbie

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 10:47am

I from northern Louisiana and a similiar problem exists there - folks think that the single Starbucks in town is the ne plus ultra of coffee. I've found that any place that has a Nuova Simonelli machine can make a decent espresso, as long as the barista knows what she is doing.  A lot of times, the nicer Italian restaurant in town will have these, also check the local bookstore (even Books a Million).
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 2:41pm

Texas has good espresso you just have to find it,dont be ridiculous. Also Texas has most things right politically with gun rights and not creating a welfare State. Texas is right on and I cant wait till I retire this year to get out of
this State I was born in,Calif.......we are the joke of the Nation and rightfully so.

emradguy Said:

WF! I remember when my brother joined the air force he was first stationed there. Yeah, for sure a desolate place. I think it's like 2hrs to Dallas which is prolly the closest good coffee. Was culture shock for me too, as we grew up in Los Angeles

Posted February 8, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
DaninMaryland

Espresso: V2 Silvia
Grinder: Vario-W
Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 2:54pm

Iluvdabean Said:

Also Texas has most things right politically with gun rights and not creating a welfare State. Texas is right on and I cant wait till I retire this year to get out of
this State I was born in,Calif.......we are the joke of the Nation and rightfully so.

Posted February 9, 2013 link

+1,000,000!!!

California reminds me of Cuba.  an absolutely gorgeous place ruined by its government
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 3:00pm

I lived there almost 20 years. I liked TX a lot and still miss the food. The cops are jerks in Dallas and starbucks was the big deal when I left.  I would guess you can find good espresso in Dallas but I believe it would be a hunt but I expect it is better now than it was 10 years ago.  I think Portland and Seattle have it beat hands down.  Most of the south cares more about good iced tea than good espresso. The heat has something to do with that I am sure.  I am willing to bet most people there think starbucks is the ticket but that is true about most places.  I did not drink espresso till I moved to the PNW.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 3:28pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

I lived there almost 20 years. I liked TX a lot and still miss the food. The cops are jerks in Dallas and starbucks was the big deal when I left.  I would guess you can find good espresso in Dallas but I believe it would be a hunt but I expect it is better now than it was 10 years ago.  I think Portland and Seattle have it beat hands down.  Most of the south cares more about good iced tea than good espresso. The heat has something to do with that I am sure.  I am willing to bet most people there think starbucks is the ticket but that is true about most places.  I did not drink espresso till I moved to the PNW.

Posted February 9, 2013 link

Having been to Dallas within the past decade (a few times over the past couple of years) I can guarantee you there are a handful of decent to good cafes there. I can't comment on the cops. Even in LA where good espresso is getting easier to find a United skycap told me he heard *$$ was better than the new Klatch location at LAX!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > entry level...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.473961830139)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+