Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
ESE pods with an E61 machine
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ESE pods with an...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
johnjacques

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Salvatore Famosa / Elektra...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 4:56pm
Subject: ESE pods with an E61 machine

I'll take all the abusive comments as read! I enjoy experimenting and I had a few ESE pods left over from when I first bought my Ascaso. One of its claims to fame was that it could swing both ways - ground and pods. Not really true of course, and I soon upgraded the brewhead to optimise ground brewing. That was a couple of years ago and I've since moved on to my current machines, a Salvatore and an Elektra MCSA. But I still had a few ancient Caffé Borbone pods lying around and today I played with them on the Salvatore, which has a standard E61 group, using a single basket. Result? Better than I expected. Working around the initial flow of basic water as the pod expanded to fit properly, I got a usable shot. Not great but not awful, particularly given that my pods were around a year after their use by date. Which made me wonder about just how good a shot you might get with better adapted hardware. The obvious changes would be to the basket and perhaps to a shallower portafilter fit but based on today's experiment an acceptable shot seems within reach.
Why would you want to do this? With the best will in the world, espresso grinders and machines aren't user friendly in the sense that you need to learn how to use them and it takes a while. Enter the wife, gf, bf, dog, neighbor or armed robber who just wants a decent espresso without the master's degree. And I don't want any of the aforementioned breaking my expensive toys. Pods, if they could work well enough, are the perfect answer. They keep for at least a year, there's a huge range available and they're very hard to screw up.
The trick will be to not compromise the existing design. Does anyone know of at the least a purpose designed basket or portafilter and basket to fit a standard E61 grouphead?
 View Profile Link to this post
johnboddie

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 5:13pm
Subject: Re: ESE pods with an E61 machine

I had a basket that I used with my Brasilia Mini-Classic that was (I suppose) designed for pods. I used it for singles because it held a bit more than my single basket did. If you wanted to serve espresso in a space where there wasn't room for a grinder, or if you simply wanted to avoid the messiness of loose grounds, pods might offer a workable alternative.
johnjacques

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 5:21pm

No question that pods can work as I've outlined. The question relates to suitable hardware. Larger than a standard single basket wouldn't be the way to go!
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 5:40pm

I can't speak to E61, but on Nuova Simonelli, it requires not only a specialized basket but actually changing the diffuser block and shower screen. When I first got my machine, I was mystified as to why I couldn't fit the portafilter on the group until someone gently pointed out to me that I had the pod kit, which I didn't even know existed for my machine.
johnjacques

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 6:22pm

That's the easy way and the best if you want pods at any cost. Several manufacturers offer that option. That's not the issue here. My experience with a standard portafilter and single basket leads me to believe that there's a workable solution without compromising the normal grounds performance.
johnjacques

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 7:44pm

Ah! Here's an answer.

Click Here (www.espressotec.com)

Obviously, pressurized is a problem but we're getting there. I like the idea of adjustable depth. A good seal from the outset is key to a successful solution.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 6:27am

No idea what size ESE pods are but here is something. Click Here (www.chriscoffee.com)

Edit well it looks like ESE pods are 45mm, at least these are Click Here (www.chriscoffee.com)
johnjacques

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 9:20am

Excellent! I knew it had to exist. Looking as closely as the picture allows, the main difference between this and the standard single basket is the profile of the sloped surface that joins the sides to the base. It looks almost flat at the start and then falls off fast. I'm guessing that this will fix the issue of water forcing its way around the pod before it expands. The unknown factor is whether this will be enough to provide sufficient backpressure to trigger the preinfusion cycle. (I'm assuming that it's backpressure that's the trigger.) With a standard single basket, there is not.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ESE pods with an...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.361247062683)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+