Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
DeLonghi EC 155 not putting out enough water...
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC 155...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
espnewbie

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 8:19pm
Subject: DeLonghi EC 155 not putting out enough water...

I've had this espresso maker for two months and recently have been experiencing a problem with the unit putting out enough water. It is now taking twice as long as it is supposed to make a shot - unacceptable. I tried descaling the machine with citric acid, but no difference. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:04pm
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC 155 not putting out enough water...

Welcome to CoffeeGeeks.  

New machine, or just new to you?  Try running the pump/brew switch with the steam wand wide open and quantitate the flow.  Measure flow from the group and steam wand for say 15, 20, or 30 seconds and do the math to figure total flow rate converted to cc/minute.

Have you removed the screen?  

Are you just meaning flow through a puck while brewing?

Ground coffee or pod?

Standard pressurized portafilter?

A little more information please.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
espnewbie

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:19pm

Yes it is a new machine. I removed the 'shower head' screen while descaling. A lot of what was either coffee grounds or granular scaled lime came out during the descaling. I wonder if I should do a second descaling? I've only had the machine two months, but I use it rather heavily, at least three cups a day. I'm using lightly tamped coffee in the standard pressurized portafilter. I'll try to measure water flow tomorrow morning. Thanks for your input!
D4F

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:29pm

Here is a parts diagram.  I believe that you can get scale and trouble in the valve, parts 14 and 15.  It can then stick and not open well.  There are a few large EC155 threads on CG that may help.

Click Here (www.ereplacementparts.com)

If you click on the parts photo below the diagram, you can get a decent picture.

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2013, 10:35pm

It could take a while to find the specific answer, but if you search EC155 in the search here on CG, you may just be overwhelmed.

D4F also at
espnewbie

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 10:23am

This morning, the machine works great! Output is as good or better than when I first got it. Guess the descaling procedure finally worked! That said, I'm wondering what othereoples experience is as far as the longevity of this machine. Seattle Coffee Gear say between 3 to 5 years. I like this little machine as a starter set up, but am already getting 'upgrade fever'. I hear the new Gaggia Carezza, due out in the US sometime in '13, is a good upgrade. Any other recs for a sub $300 or so upgrade. My main concern is the ability to go to a stock non-pressurized portafilter.
D4F

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 11:14am

I tried to look up the new Carezza.  I found it, but no real specifications or diagram.  It has a new appearing exterior, but, the problem has been lack of OPV and ability to really adjust pressure, and no 3 way.  It may have some pressure adjustment at the pump return valve?  Many of the Gaggias have had leaks from tubing and oetiker clamps, not been a problem on the Classic.  I believe that most Gaggia recommendations in CG and other forums has been the Classic.

D4F also at
espnewbie

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 12:03pm

You'll have to forgive me, but what is an OPV? Perhaps you could point me to an article where it is defined and discussed?
D4F

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 12:52pm

Sorry about the terms.  Over Pressure Valve is a valve that limits pressure between the pump and eventually, the puck.  In the most basic case it serves to keep the pump from complete stall and to allow flow back to the water reservoir when a critical pressure is reached.  This could happen if you grind too fine and no water can get though the puck.  Sometimes there is a safety valve to do that at the pump, and other times it is an adjustable valve.  The Classic has an adjustable pressure valve.  This means that the user can set it to limit pressure to the puck.  It can be set to 9 bar pressure which is felt to be optimal brew pressure when not using a pressurized portafilter.  Many machines come with a pressurized PF and that works with higher pressure, so the pressure is set higher, and as above adjustable, or not.

More on OPV explained
http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/opv-over-pressure-valve
http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/opv.html

See part 28
Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

vs part 36 on the old Carezza

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

on that diagram, part 71 is a safety valve, but not adjustable, or difficult to do so.

You did not ask about the "3 way" or 3 way solenoid???

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Sat Feb 9, 2013, 12:56pm

Just in case, the 3 way.

http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/3way/intro.html

And yes, the FRCN site is very informative, especially How to 12, Guide to Espresso at Home.

http://www.espressomyespresso.com/

D4F also at
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC 155...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.365183115005)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+