Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 41 last page next page
Author Messages
Italo2275

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 3:54pm
Subject: Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB

HI,
I am trying to decide between these machines. I know the Price range is different and I have looked at all the post and videos but still cannot decide.
Here are some questions
1)I am just wondering why would you chose one over the other besides the price and the BDB not knowing how reliable it is/
2) Do you think they compare equally to getting a goo quality product?
3) Should I consider a Rocket Evoluzione V2 over the Dual Boiler?
Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 4:00pm
Subject: Re: Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB

Italo2275 Said:

HI,
I am trying to decide between these machines. I know the Price range is different and I have looked at all the post and videos but still cannot decide.
Here are some questions
1)I am just wondering why would you chose one over the other besides the price and the BDB not knowing how reliable it is/
2) Do you think they compare equally to getting a goo quality product?
3) Should I consider a Rocket Evoluzione V2 over the Dual Boiler?
Thanks

Posted January 9, 2013 link

I am looking at the same machines. I think there is a reason the BDB is pretty inexpensive. I also dont think the steaming power is up to par. This is also what I am worried about with the QM67 since it has a small steam boiler. That is why I am leaning towards the r58. You need to decide if you want an HX or DB  and then compile your lsit. The Evoluzione is an HX and the temp surfing will be something you have to work with.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 9:16pm

I dont really consider a Breville an espresso machine! Its something else. Six years ago I made that mistake and I wouldn't do it again.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
benpiff
benpiff
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: RocketR58,GrimacMini,Elli
Grinder: LSM FK Conical, Vario
Roaster: Sonofresco 1lb, Behmor
Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013, 10:25pm

The BDB is so much machine for the money, it's ridiculous. But if you can stretch and afford the QM67, that too would be a dream machine. I'd add Brewtus to your list too, if you want a bigger steam boiler. Expobar owners are a very happy bunch (two happy Brewtus owners in my family).

www.oldparkedcars.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 6:44am

Your question is very similar to another thread that is active at the moment but at a lower price point.
You have not given us anything to work with, your budget, usage pattern, hookups, budget, and does the budget include the grinder which is more important than the machine? I am no longer advising to avoid the BDB but it is still very much up in the air as to quality and relyability, they do not have a good track record when it comes to those issues.

What has you looking at only those machines, are you open to other machines?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Italo2275

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 6:19pm

well I want to get something that lasts so If I have to spend the money for R58 then I will. I just want to be smart about it an make sure that maybe there is a less expensive Machine that will be as good as r58. I f I can save money why not.
I will not need plumming cause I live in a condo, but If the option is there for future why not? U would use it about 3 times a day but more for when people come over ofr a nice Cappucino or espresso. I have a Vario grinder that I got from a friend and that seems to work well from what I read.
I have looked up the Brewtus and the Qm67 but I read that they do not steam as fast and thy are Vibrational pumps, which are louder and on the QM67 the boiler is smaller,plus I heard that there is lots of callbacks on them.
cuznvin

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 6:37pm

Italo2275 Said:

well I want to get something that lasts so If I have to spend the money for R58 then I will. I just want to be smart about it an make sure that maybe there is a less expensive Machine that will be as good as r58. I f I can save money why not.
I will not need plumming cause I live in a condo, but If the option is there for future why not? U would use it about 3 times a day but more for when people come over ofr a nice Cappucino or espresso. I have a Vario grinder that I got from a friend and that seems to work well from what I read.
I have looked up the Brewtus and the Qm67 but I read that they do not steam as fast and thy are Vibrational pumps, which are louder and on the QM67 the boiler is smaller,plus I heard that there is lots of callbacks on them.

Posted January 10, 2013 link

I haven't heard anything on recalls on the qm67 but there definitely were problems with the r58. The steam boiler is smaller on the qm67 and sometimes slower steaming is better for a newbie. Some vibratory pumps can be noisier.
cuznvin

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 7:02pm

And actually the group boiler on the QM67 is larger than the R58. The R58 has a steam boiler twice the size of the QM67 but it also has the same size heater. The water reservoir is also larger on the Quickmill..
CSME9
CSME9

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Rancilio Silvia,...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 8:55pm

I have used both the QM67 and Brewtus 4VP, my observations are:

Brewing-Brewtus shots were richer with thicker crema, QM67 shots looked good, slight hint of sourness even after adjusting offset & trying hotter brew temps, shots lacked the depth of the Brewt.

Steaming-Brewtus has larger boiler , holds steam preassure at 1 bar from 1.3 bar, steam time 4oz 28 seconds, 8oz 45 seconds, one hole tip makes for easy micro foaming. QM 67 smaller boiler, 2 hole tip, steam time 4oz 25 seconds, 8 oz 55 seconds preassure drops below 1 bar from 1.4 bar, harder to work small amount of milk.

Gauges: Brewtus higher easier to see, QM67 harder to see behind the steam wand.

Shower screen/gasket groove: Brewtus collects more coffee residue faster.

Drip Tray: Brewtus Huge tray, top grill has to be removed before the tray can slide out-QM67 tray slides straight out.

Water Reservoir: Brewtus 2.5L and uses more water when running off the water tank since the aeretor & OPV vent about 2 oz of water back to the drip tray when brewing and 1-2 oz when doing a porta filter cleaning wiggle , you can vent it  back to the water reservoir and conserve water by adding 2 ft of silicone hose to the OPV, the cup warmer has to be removed to fill the water tank thru a small tank opening. QM67 has a 3L uses less water and vents the opv/aerator back to the water reservoir, no need to remove cup warmer since you simply lift a hinged door to fill.

Outer Shell: Brewtus uses a thicker outer shell, minimal front panel flex if you crank hard when inserting porta filter. QM67 more visible flex.

Fit & Finish: QM67 more refined, pump is quieter. Brewtus louder pump, rattles, feet are tall & could be shorter and still provide enough room for drip tray drain line, feet look unbalanced with rest of machine, had QC issues with several machines
benpiff
benpiff

Espresso: RocketR58,GrimacMini,Elli
Grinder: LSM FK Conical, Vario
Roaster: Sonofresco 1lb, Behmor
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 9:05pm

With how good my Brewtus experiences have been, I neeever thought about the sound of the pump. Although now that I've gone rotary, maybe it would be a bigger deal to go back.

I've had a number of other machines that were exponentially louder, like the Oscar, whew. But I must say that all that I'm hearing about how quiet the QM67 pump is makes me wonder where we'll be able to buy that part?

www.oldparkedcars.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 41 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.371958017349)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+