Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 12 of 19 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
PeanutButterBoy
PeanutButterBoy
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 5:57am
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas

First of all, thank you for helping me out.

So I took off the shower screen again, cleaned it and rotated it - it still comes out the same. But, like you said, it makes sense given it's the only part to diffuse the stream from parts 56/57. So I assume this isn't the problem. The beans are not too old, I've tried different ones, fresh ones, it's all the same. The flow seems to be identical. It could be a little faster or slower but not by much.

Never disassembled the pressure assembly, I figured that would be the last thing I tried.

And I've never used descaler to clean anything - I only ran vinegar through the machine. For the filters I just soaked them for a while and cleaned them, but we don't have hard water here and I never saw a build up of anything on the filter parts. Should I use something else to clean the parts?

Should I run vinegar through the machine again?

Thanks.

The Peanut Butter Boy
http://peanutbutterboy.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PeanutButterBoy
PeanutButterBoy

Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 6:14am
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas

Also, I tried using the double filter (which I hardly ever use, so it's practically new) and both shots still came out with no crema.

The Peanut Butter Boy
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 10:02am

PeanutButterBoy Said:

The beans are not too old, I've tried different ones, fresh ones, it's all the same. The flow seems to be identical. It could be a little faster or slower but not by much.

Thanks.

Posted February 10, 2013 link

What coffee did you use that is fresh and what coffee did you use that was not too old?

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Feb 10, 2013, 1:19pm

PeanutButterBoy Said:

And I've never used descaler to clean anything - I only ran vinegar through the machine. For the filters I just soaked them for a while and cleaned them, but we don't have hard water here and I never saw a build up of anything on the filter parts. Should I use something else to clean the parts?

Should I run vinegar through the machine again?  Thanks.

Vinegar, acid, is a descaler.  There are cleaners such as Cafiza and JoeGloe and others, more detergent.  Cleaners do not go into the machine, but you could soak the baskets and PF.  It has been a while since I actually handled a Delonghi.  The Pressurizing portion unscrews off the bottom of the basket IIRC.  It has a certain order of assembly, nothing complex.  It could potentially stick a bit and not pressurize properly.  After a few years, mine quite working and was broken inside, perhaps a sealing O ring, I can't remember exactly.  Odd not to get "crema" if the pressurized system is working, since it basically infused air and usually will produce foam with most any beans, the very reason that it is used.  I would get a cleaneer and soak the baskets and pressure device, and possibly disassemble and clean.  It might be nice if some of the EC155 crew weighed in.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
PeanutButterBoy
PeanutButterBoy

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 8:15am

So i just bought brand new coffee (same brand/type I always get) and pulled a super-fresh shot - no crema.

I soaked the filter baskets in vinegar, cleaned them well, and still, no crema.

I have never cleaned the portafilter with vinegar though, just soap and water. I'll try it but I can't imagine it will help that much?

What's weird is that I have 2 of these machines - one at work and one at home. The one at home was brand new back in August 2012 and gets used a lot less than the one at work. The one at work is a floor model and gets used a lot, but it still works fine and I haven't cleaned that one nearly as well or as thoroughly. I realize of course that parts can fail in one machine and not another, but it's got me baffled....

The Peanut Butter Boy
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 8:45am

EricBNC Said:

What coffee did you use that is fresh and what coffee did you use that was not too old?

This is a still unanswered qestion - I asked it to help diagnose your problem.

Also, what grinder do you use?

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
PeanutButterBoy
PeanutButterBoy

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 9:09am

Oh the brand? I use Lavazza Blue. Opened a fresh can this morning. It's always worked and made beautiful crema - and it still does at work!

The Peanut Butter Boy
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 9:44am

Since you have two identical portafilters, maybe take the one from the home machine to work with you and try it on the machine that works correctly. If the results fail then you know the problem with the home unit is inside the portafilter and not the machine.

D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:00am

PeanutButterBoy Said:

I soaked the filter baskets in vinegar, cleaned them well, and still, no crema.

I have never cleaned the portafilter with vinegar though, just soap and water. I'll try it but I can't imagine it will help that much?

What's weird is that I have 2 of these machines - one at work and one at home. The one at home was brand new back in August 2012 and gets used a lot less than the one at work. The one at work is a floor model and gets used a lot, but it still works fine and I haven't cleaned that one nearly as well or as thoroughly. I realize of course that parts can fail in one machine and not another, but it's got me baffled....

Posted February 11, 2013 link

EricBNC Said:

Since you have two identical portafilters, maybe take the one from the home machine to work with you and try it on the machine that works correctly. If the results fail then you know the problem with the home unit is inside the portafilter and not the machine.

Posted February 11, 2013 link

Yes, interchange PF and Baskets and see what works.  New info that you have 2 machines to work with.

Sorry, I may not have been clear, but not vinegar for cleaning.  Use a Coffee cleaner.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
PeanutButterBoy
PeanutButterBoy

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:08am

Good ideas. I'm going to the office tomorrow, so I'll try the home PF/filter on the other machine, then try the other PF/filter on the home machine.

I'll report back soon.

Thanks for all the help thus far.

The Peanut Butter Boy
showing page 12 of 19 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.434387922287)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+