Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Espresso machine suggestions?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Espresso machine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 2:12pm
Subject: Re: Espresso machine suggestions?

Sorry, Markarian, I do not like to contradict, but that may not be a good buy.  Looks one of the cheap boiler + thermoblock designs, and prone to problems.  See the note under the machine at a repair place

http://www.partsguru.com/Starbucksespressomachines.html

Of course if you have experience with Sirena, then that may be a different perspective.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 3:28pm

I will admit I've never had experience with the Sirena. I had the cheaper Barista/Rio Vapore/Aroma/Classico machines and they are quite capable, though require a lot of temperature surfing. The Sirena actually has a 58mm Gaggia portafilter from my understanding and volumetric dosing. Again, under $150 the options are a used Saeco or Nespresso pods.
D4F

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 4:00pm

It is difficult to recommend machines in the lower price range.  I had a Delonghi 701 for a few years, before I knew about CG, and see large threads on the EC155 here on CG.  I believe that a Delonghi EC155 with a non-pressurized basket may be a good place to start.  It is difficult to "recommend" that machine as there are things that I do not like, and things that it lacks.  That said, if I wanted espresso and did not have the money to spend, I might look at the EC 155 and read from the threads on CG.  Main thread

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/522849

Equipment

Machine
Click Here (www.amazon.com)  and probably something local in most cities.  HomeDepot and Macy's for $99.

Basket
Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)

Silvia wand
http://www.espressoparts.com/R_1054?&search_id=2008604

Wand thread
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/555131

One of the least expensive grinders capable of being adjusted and micro-adjusted for espresso is the Baratza Preciso, $239 for the refurb directly from Baratza.com posted Thursday AMs when available.  I did not see your grinder answer.

D4F also at
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 7:20pm

I have to pipe up with what I always say.  Buying used is a good idea so that you can resell after a few years for a good percentage of your paying price.
That $200 deal is a good deal, if it is true.  It's a good enough machine to use until you and he decide to upgrade and you will be able to sell it in a few years for that $200 investment.
D4F

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:37pm

Does that advice apply to beginners who may have to get "involved" with the used machine?   I see that you are an Espresso Machine Technician and may have a bit more ability than many of us :)

D4F also at
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 11:49am

If you can find one in good shape I think it is a good way to start, but you have to fix stuff and some people don't like to get used gifts.....

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Fri Feb 15, 2013, 8:22pm

Hi Lylarose.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, you should consider an espresso machine to be like buying a large appliance, such as a refrigerator, a stove or a washer/dryer set.

Now, in theory, you can spend a small amount of money on a machine, but it won't be durable, it won't be of a very high quality and it may even lead to frustration
more than anything else, especially if your husband drinks a lot of coffee or is expecting to get cafe quality coffee out of the machine.

I would say that an "Entry Level" espresso setup, which includes a decent high quality machine, very capable espresso grinder and all of the accessories which he'll need
will come to around $1000. Don't let that price scare you. That's what I spent to start and I don't regret it. It was worth every penny.  

Now, if you want to make something resembling espresso but for less than your budget, consider buying him a stove top Moka Pot, like a Bialetti Brikka or Moka. Those brew coffee
by forcing steam through the grounds. You get very strong coffee brewing this way. They can be found for under $120. As long as you don't put them in the dishwasher, or over heat
them on the stove, they last forever.

Alternatively, a decent automatic drip coffee maker, such as a Bonavita or a Technivorm Moccamaster, will be around your price range. It's not espresso, but they still make coffee.
Both of those machines are of a high quality, produce excellent quality drip coffee and are built to be very durable. (I personally like the looks of the Technivorm machines myself.)

I don't mean to discourage you, but we get threads like this all the time on this board. It is possible do make espresso on a budget which is less than $200, but serious compromises
have to be made in order to do it. I won't bore you with the technical details.

Good luck. :-)

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Feb 17, 2013, 11:01am

Lylarose needs to check back in and tell us what she did.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Sun Feb 17, 2013, 5:57pm

If I were working with a $150 budget I'd go for a manual mill and a used machine.  My local supplier sells Zassenhaus espresso grinders for as little as  $59.99, with some being as high as $99.  I would then have to look on the local classifieds for a used espresso machine.  Around here I routinely see older Gaggias and Saecos go for under $100, even as cheap as $25 sometimes.  In fact I purchased a used Saeco awhile back for exactly $25.  It was an older machine that didn't have a pressurized portafilter and was capable of a very decent espresso.  Yes, it can be done.  The only concern is older machines may require some maintenance.  I've bought about 10 machines for under $100 that needed only a descale and maybe a portafilter gasket.  The list included Saecos, Faemas, Gaggias, and a Quckmill.  Good luck with your search.
lordbaltimore

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:59am

crazy4espresso Said:

If I were working with a $150 budget I'd go for a manual mill and a used machine.  My local supplier sells Zassenhaus espresso grinders for as little as  $59.99, with some being as high as $99.  I would then have to look on the local classifieds for a used espresso machine.  Around here I routinely see older Gaggias and Saecos go for under $100, even as cheap as $25 sometimes.  In fact I purchased a used Saeco awhile back for exactly $25.  It was an older machine that didn't have a pressurized portafilter and was capable of a very decent espresso.  Yes, it can be done.  The only concern is older machines may require some maintenance.  I've bought about 10 machines for under $100 that needed only a descale and maybe a portafilter gasket.  The list included Saecos, Faemas, Gaggias, and a Quckmill.  Good luck with your search.

Posted February 17, 2013 link

could you amplify on the Saeco line-up? i just joined and asked elsewhere about a new machine i acquired. it does espresso, regular brew, cappucino... these are considered good machines?
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Espresso machine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.414584875107)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+