Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Does anyone still use their spout PF?
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Does anyone...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 2:17am
Subject: Does anyone still use their spout PF?

Both of mine sit lonely and one just gets used for backflushing. At this point, I've associated fine espresso with the oozing globs of goodness coming off a naked portafilter. In marketing materials--even for specialty home machines--it still shows a double spout PF that could be sputtering and blonding to hell and back while pouring that smooth shot into your two glasses. So I'm just curious, except in cases where you're making two singles at once, are they even remotely useful?
 View Profile Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 6:32am
Subject: Re: Does anyone still use their spout PF?

Markarian Said:

Both of mine sit lonely and one just gets used for backflushing. At this point, I've associated fine espresso with the oozing globs of goodness coming off a naked portafilter. In marketing materials--even for specialty home machines--it still shows a double spout PF that could be sputtering and blonding to hell and back while pouring that smooth shot into your two glasses. So I'm just curious, except in cases where you're making two singles at once, are they even remotely useful?

Posted February 16, 2013 link

I dial a new batch in on my bottomless which frankly is a shot or two then switch to the spouted.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 6:52am

Although it looks cool Ive never even thought about one. The deal maker/breaker is how it tastes.

Markarian Said:

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 7:19am

Iluvdabean Said:

The deal maker/breaker is how it tastes.

Right on "fine espresso" is about taste not how it measures up to some standard of its visual appearance. Too gloppy leads to over extraction nearly without fail. When using a spouted you can certainly detect the usual flaws visually as well as by taste. Like I said I still use the tool but more often than not it is for one shot maybe two at the start of a 5lbs batch.

To me the bottomless changes the texture and leads to a ridiculous amount of crema and subsequent crema collapse but as always to each his own.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
DavecUK

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 7:36am

Rarely use the spouted unless I want two shots at once......much prefer the bottomless as it keeps you on your toes. I have seen to many crappy shots coming out of a spouted portafilter, where the OP doesn't even realise how bad the shot is. I also don't think it's easy to detect a sub optimal shot in a spouted portafilter.

There are 2 questions concerning the differences between bottomless and spouted portafilters that I am not sure about?
  1. Does a bottomless portafilter cool the shot more or less than a spout?
  2. Does a Bottomless change the "texture & crema" or not...if it does is it better or worse?

I have some opinions, but they are just educated guesses...
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 7:41am

I spent over $200 on bottomless PFs and had to get rid of them all. Some big conicals make for some big spritzing (less fines) and the spout is the best way to avoid all the cleanup.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 7:52am

I never was able to fully get rid of sprites 100% of the time, it might have been the 3rd time I got one in the eye that I stopped watching and soon after that my inconsistencies of prep where limited and my shot consistency went up so I stopped using a naked. I taste almost all shots just like I taste all food before it goes on the plate, if there is a problem I will find it then.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 7:56am

germantownrob Said:

I got one in the eye that I stopped watching

This is why regardless of what side of this question your own, pulling shots with a bottomless whilst naked is not recommended :)

germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 8:06am

jwoodyu Said:

This is why regardless of what side of this question your own, pulling shots with a bottomless whilst naked is not recommended :)

Come to think of it I did stop true naked extractions around the same time I started using a naked PF.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 8:10am

I don't use spout unless I want to split the pull.  I often have tiny sprites that self heal but rarely have a mess.  If I ever feel I am 100% prefect every time I might go back to a spout.  Right now I think I need to see how the stream is acting and the cone collapsing is much easier to read than the color blonde for stopping the pull.  If it makes more bubbles that is fine with me.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Does anyone...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.457182884216)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+