Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Quick Mill Vetrano vs. Breville Dual Boiler
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Quick Mill...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 8:43am
Subject: Re: Quick Mill Vetrano vs. Breville Dual Boiler

Iluvdabean Said:

In our economic world since day 1...better things have always cost more because they are better. So there it is in a nutshell.

Posted February 17, 2013 link

Better things cost more because they are better - absolutely!   But things that cost more are not always better.  A->B is not the same as B->A.  Some clever marketers figured out a long time ago that people perceive price as an indicator of quality, and decided to just price the same thing at a higher price.  

As far as something being too good to be true - I think the BDB is ridiculously overpriced for what is in it - maybe $100 worth of parts.  It is just a pump, two boilers, and some miscellaneous plumbing and electronics.

The Italian machines aren't ridiculous.  They are obscenely overpriced for what is in them.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 9:28am

mariog7 Said:

Hello, all.

I have a Quick Mill Vetrano that is a year old.  I am considering a dual boiler machine for the temperature stability and was considering the BDB for all the other cool tech features. I could probably sell the Vetrano and pick up a BDB for a wash.  But do you think this would be a step back in other aspects, such as durability (plastic vs metal, etc).

Just curious about your opinions.   Thank you!

Posted February 17, 2013 link

Consider this, I believe you could not sell the BDB in a year and get back the same % of the price.  I do not believe a plastic machine that can't be serviced by yourself or your local espresso repair will hold its value over time like one that can.

I would not want any machine with proprietary parts or lack of available parts and I want a machine with less electronics rather than more.  That is why I want an L-1 over a GS/3.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 9:58am

Italian espresso machines are ones you buy because they are built with the old world craftsmanship that has spanned centuries. They are machines that have emerged from the history of espresso, from its roots.
They have no equals in any class. They are the benchmark. Names like Gaggia ( who we got the word crema from),La Pavoni, and Bezzera,just to name a few. The famed E61 holding the line against any technology with ease and the fact that this lineage is grounded in countless millions of espresso bars,homes,and barrista competitions leaves little doubt that with the surplus of parts, machine knowledge and people in love with these machines that this platform is the norm and here to stay. Not an opinion a fact.
Wheres on the other hand you have joined a family with no heritage,no history,from a company from the land down under famed for making toasters, farmed out to China to build,with a very shaky start indeed in that its first offering died at birth.So you question price,you question who owns the name. Well that would be like an ant demanding an elephant produce proof hes a more advanced life form. I say and I have said it before
enjoy your espresso machine for what it is and what you paid. I only suggest a little humility and respect when you imply it rivals those machines that represent 99 % of the history,market,and engineering behind espresso. ca·piche

Click Here (blogs.smithsonianmag.com)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espresso

http://www.randomhistory.com/1-50/026coffee.html

AlexKilpatrick Said:

Better things cost more because they are better - absolutely!   But things that cost more are not always better.  A->B is not the same as B->A.  Some clever marketers figured out a long time ago that people perceive price as an indicator of quality, and decided to just price the same thing at a higher price.  

As far as something being too good to be true - I think the BDB is ridiculously overpriced for what is in it - maybe $100 worth of parts.  It is just a pump, two boilers, and some miscellaneous plumbing and electronics.

The Italian machines aren't ridiculous.  They are obscenely overpriced for what is in them.

Posted February 18, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
AlexKilpatrick

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 10:47am

I didn't realize I was joining a *family." I guess I had the mistaken assumption that I was simply buying a machine to perform a function.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 10:59am

Alex,

I don't know, but you do seem to be making assumptions about me that are -- or, at least, I find them to be -- incorrect.

AlexKilpatrick Said:

To you (I imagine), the taste incorporates a lot of factors.  You like knowing you have a machine with a 50 year history, hand-made, etc. etc.  That's all fine.  Personally, I have a mechanical watch that cost around $2000 and doesn't keep as good time as a $20 quartz casio.  But I appreciate the engineering that went into it, like you appreciate the engineering that went into the Italian machines.  I don't have the same appreciation for espresso machines.  To me it is an engineering problem to be solved, just like the quartz watch is a better timepiece from a timekeeping perspective.

Actually, I don't give a $#|+ about "a machine with a 50 year history," etc., etc.  What I care about is having a machine that a) works, b) is well-made, c) is built to last, d) can be repaired when a component inevitably fails, and e) is aesthetically pleasing enough that my wife (and I, for that matter) won't be disgusted by that "thing" on the counter.

My Elektra T1 fits all the criteria described above.  Period.  (See below.)

As for watches, I have no doubt that a $20 Casio keeps time.  But I find it rather ugly, and for that reason, don't want to wear it on my wrist.  I own five watches.  Two are my "daily" watches, both have quartz movements and keep excellent time; one has a brown leather band, one black.  I wear whichever one "goes" with my attire of the day.  I have one mechanical wrist watch with a 24-hour face (i.e.:  at 12 noon, the hands will be in the "6:00" position on a "normal" watch); it was an anniversary present from my wife because, she said, I need something to think about.  I wear it on more formal occasions.  I also have two mechanical pocket watches -- a silver one from the early 20th century, and a gold one from the late 19th century.  These basically remain in my dresser, although the silver one was my "daily" watch back in college.

AlexKilpatrick Said:

The point of a blind taste test is to see if one machine makes better espresso than the other, subjective to your tastes.  That's all.

Perhaps, but the machine is least important of the four important factors . . .  
There is no difference in the cup between an HX and a DB.  Both methods of producing espresso are capable of yielding excellence in the cup.  There will, however, be a difference between two specific HX machines; between two specific DB machines; and between a specific HX and a specific DB machine.

AlexKilpatrick Said:

These seems like contradictory statements to me.

No.  Well, to you, perhaps, but there is nothing contradictory in them at all.  Once again, the machines are not as important as the grinder.  The machines are a hot water delivery device; it's the grinder that makes the espresso.  Both HX and DB machines -- as a category of machines -- are certainly capable of producing excellent cups of espresso.  (Not a perfect analogy but . . . like automobiles with manual or automatic transmission, both will get you to your destination in comfort and safety.)  Nothing inherent in the design of an HX or DB is deficient; nothing in the design of an HX or a DB inhibits or prevents the production of excellent espresso.

However, every machine is different and can and will yield a cup with different flavor profiles, just as different grinders do.  (This honestly isn't a matter for debate among most people here.)

For example:

cafeespresso Said:

I also purchased the BDB, and at the end I returned the BDB. The BDB is a wonderful machine that produced a smoother cup, but my Expobar pulser produced a more flavorful cup.

Now, in this specific quote, the poster owned an Expobar Pulser for several years, and went out and also purchased a Breville Dual Boiler (BDB) -- presumably with the idea of "upgrading."  (My words, not the OP's.)  But, in the end, he returned the BDB.  Why?  Because to his palate, the Expobar's "more flavorful cup" was something he preferred over the BDB's "smoother cup."  

Certainly this is a a case where YMMV, as it is all subjective . . .

JasonBrandtLewis: New Home Setup.jpg
(Click for larger image)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 11:51am

Never thought I would see this from Bubba Dude!!

"After thirteen months of trouble-free operation, by BDB is in a world of hurt.

The first problem to show up is water leakage. When I get up in the morning, I find that the area around the machine is covered with about a cup of water. It's on a stand with a channel that catches the water, so there's no doubt it's coming from the BDB. I don't know if it's a persistent leak or a warm-up leak, but either way it sucks.

The second problem is strange behavior when the machine comes out of standby mode. Instead of warming up until it reaches the set point, as it used to do, the temperature skyrockets all the way to 208, and temp display never stops blinking. The water in the brew boiler gets super-hot, sputtering like mad if I draw hot water from it.

The only way out of this mode is to unplug the machine and essentially re-boot the processor, so this looks like a firmware problem.

So I called Breville the other day, waiting patiently for ten minutes until I got to their support engineer. When I described the problems to him he said they've had a lot of issues with the firmware issue, and said he would send me a replacement machine. He changed his mind, however, when I sent him my proof of purchase because, according to him, Amazon Warehouse Deals is not an authorized reseller so I had no warranty coverage.  He then sent me info on repair centers where I can get the machine fixed on my own dime.

Needless to say, I'm not happy with Breville.

In the interest of curiosity, I took the panels off, inspected all the wires and tubes, and replaced the O rings on the solenoid. The old ones were deformed and crusted, and the solenoid had some burnt coffee on it, to this was a necessary spot of maintenance.

The O ring replacement had no effect on the firmware problem, as expected.

So I'm going to take this piece of junk in for service, and if the repair cost is as high as I imagine it will be, it will be hitting the trash can and polluting a landfill shortly. It's a shame Breville didn't have the foresight to allow users to update their firmware without a service incident. Sad rookie mistake.

Buyer beware, dudes. "
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 11:58am

I am glad your happy...Thats all that counts.... because it was your money and not mine...I dont have 1200  dollars to gamble with
my espresso brother. Yes where a machine comes from is as important as where it thinks its going.

AlexKilpatrick Said:

I didn't realize I was joining a *family." I guess I had the mistaken assumption that I was simply buying a machine to perform a function.

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 12:11pm

I am truly sorry that the BDB is showing this kinda of behavior after 13 months of use.  I was hoping they would be better than that.  I am not surprised but I am disappointed.

And I can't believe they are not backing sales from Amazon... that is crazy.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AlexKilpatrick

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 12:53pm

He bought it from Amazon warehouse, which is used/refurbished. They would have replaced it if he had bought it from Amazon proper.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 12:54pm

AlexKilpatrick Said:

He bought it from Amazon warehouse, which is used/refurbished. They would have replaced it if he had bought it from Amazon proper.

Im not so sure about that.. Anyway, who wants to keep having a machine replaced?
showing page 5 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Quick Mill...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.53838801384)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+