Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Refurb Semi Automatic
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Refurb Semi...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
subaquatic

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 11:23am
Subject: Refurb Semi Automatic

Hello kind people,

I'm looking into my first real espresso machine, and I'm a believer in manufacturer refurbished products.  After a few days research, it seems like the market is so flooded with mahcines, its hard to know where to begin, and I don't have a lot of money for mistakes (like most people).

I'd like to hear the two cents from anyone who can recommend a decent semi-automatic refurb for $250-300.  Counter space is at a premium so an included grinder is a must.  I'm looking at the Breville BES860XL now, but I see many in the forums seem to think one can do better for the money.

Any suggestions?
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 11:31am
Subject: Re: Refurb Semi Automatic

Don't get a combo machine with a built in grinder, heat under the beans just makes them stale faster.  Grinder affects the taste more than the machine does so put your money where you can taste it, invest in good grinder.  Combo grinders are normally cheap grinders that fit over quality of the grind.

Hand grinders are small and cheap.  I would rather see you get a $40 hand grinder than a built in one.

I got my used Oscar for 475.  He had some issues but I fixed them.  He has a no burn plastic shell so sells for less than the shiny ones, he is good bang for the buck.  You might find one for less if you are lucky or willing to rebuild him.  Mine is the Steve Austin of Oscars, I made him better, faster, stronger.....

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 3:37pm

Yeah.  Breville.  Run a-w-a-a-a-a-a-y-y-y-y-y!!!

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 3:57pm

At first, I had your thinking, but after a while, I kind of realized, "What if the grinder stops working?". So, I pretty much nixed the whole idea.

It's better to keep your coffee grinder separate from the machine itself because many of us upgrade the grinder first before the machine.

While you can make espresso for your budget, it relegates you to buying used equipment, not really refurb stuff.

I personally recommend upping your budget to $1000. That will get you a fairly good machine and grinder and will last you for many many years.
A Rancilio Silvia or a Gaggia Classic and a Baratza Vario will cover that budget quite nicely. The Silvia is a great starter machine IMHO. They tend
to be a little overpriced for what you get, but they have great resale value if you decide to get rid of it down the road.

Now, when I say $1000, that includes grinder, espresso machine, steaming pitchers, a precision scale, 2 shot glasses, a grouphead brush, a cheap knockbox,
a small measuring cup, a steaming pitcher thermometer, one large container of Cafiza (For cleaning backflushing) and one large container of Grindz. (For grinder cleaning)

That's pretty much an entire espresso setup right there.. so roughly $600 for the machine, another $300 for the grinder and $100 for accessories.

Good luck!

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
JimOD
JimOD
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco Aroma Non Pressurized
Grinder: Baratza Preciso with Esatto
Drip: Bunn NHBX-B
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 9:43pm

Maybe, just maybe, after a month or two of practice and study, you could pull a decent espresso shot using the refurbished Saeco Aroma from SCG for $129, paired with the Gaggia MDF on sale for $229 at Whole Latte Love.  You would have to de-pressurize the PF on the Aroma and get a fast reading digital thermometer to be able to temp surf.

Microfoam is a little tough to produce on the Aroma, but I'm convinced it can be modified to work.  (I just haven't figured it out yet)

I would suggest reading the forums for all the tips and techniques, because you'll have to work at getting consistent shots.

I don't own the MDF, so my main concern with suggesting this set-up would be the quality of the grind.  But maybe some others in the forum could comment on this.

But in the spirit of trying to get drinkable shots for a beginner for around $300, with equipment that would last at least a few years, this is one set-up for consideration.

My tongue is burned
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 9:32pm

You could call the Good Coffee Company in Seattle (no website, just google or bing their phone#) and ask about the refurbed Ellimatics they have, an HX machine.  I bought a refurb from Joe a while back and was please with his work in getting it in good shape to sell.  I think the price is less than $400.

LMWDP # 010
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 6:00am

I agree that if you wan't something good that will last you will need a higher budget than $300.  I picked up my Silvia 2nd hand for $350 and a Macap MX for $350 also.  If you are stuck at $300 I would consider a used Gaggia Classic, and a hand grinder like the Hario Slim or Skerton.  Machines like the Delonghi EC155, Starbucks Barista/Saeco Via Venezia can be modded to be unpressurized.  The Hand grinders can produce decent espresso grind but don't allow a lot of room to change your grind.  You will have to adjust your technique via tamp pressure.

Click Here
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Refurb Semi...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.364799022675)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+