Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Quick Mill Vetrano vs. Breville Dual Boiler
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Quick Mill...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 2:38pm
Subject: Re: Quick Mill Vetrano vs. Breville Dual Boiler

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

It's not a taxi meter . . . who cares whether it's 5 minutes or 50?  "Labor charges are $100/hour to start" usually means -- in English, as opposed to the precise mathematical formulae of engineer-speak -- there's a minimum labor charge of one hour.  Add to that the expense of shipping (or driving to a repair center), etc., etc. and you're well north of $100, not south.

Posted February 18, 2013 link

It matters because the repair is extremely likely to take less than an hour.  Thus is will most probably be $100.  That would be true if they replaced the o-rings as well.
 View Profile Link to this post
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 2:41pm

AlexKilpatrick Said:

Glad to do it.  I know this may come as a shock to those of you who aren't mathematically inclined, but posts on a coffee snob forum are no exactly a statistical sample.  People tend not to post 'My machine is fine, no problems!'

I seem to recall BubbaDude posting that even if his machine needs some repairs, he is still coming out ahead compared to the $3000+ machines.  I don't  know why he would go back on that now, just because it affects him personally.  The o-ring problem he mentioned was well known, and fixed in later implementations.  There is certainly a risk you take on trying out a new design, and every new design is going to have flaws.  But without risk, there is no innovation.  Breville has been really good about fixing these problems for people who have been affected.  I don't know why they are being resistant in this case, other than it being some issue with their deal with Amazon Warehouse.  This is the first case I have heard of them being unwilling to do a repair.

Do you have stock in Breville or something?? How about talking about machines that are a lot less than$3000 like the  QM67 . Even the R58 isnt $3000
cuznvin

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 2:42pm

AlexKilpatrick Said:

It matters because the repair is extremely likely to take less than an hour.  Thus is will most probably be $100.  That would be true if they replaced the o-rings as well.

Guess we will find out the real cost eventually......IF he fixes it..
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 2:42pm

cuznvin Said:

Seems like Alex is doing everything in his power to make Bubbas situation look like a non issue. Just give it up already. Not for anything, but do you have any idea of the working conditions in China? Do you want to support that?

I hope  you don't have a smartphone.  Or a laptop.  What exactly are you supporting?

One data point is not a line.  Without knowing the failure rates of the machines in the wild, we don't know anything.  And by "we" I mean me and all the other people posting here as if they know how unreliable this machine is.  

We don't know how many they have sold; we don't know how many have failed.   And you can't infer a failure rate from forum posts.  I expect way less than 1% of the people who buy one even know this forum even exists.  The actual failure rate could be 50% It could be .01%.
cuznvin

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 2:44pm

AlexKilpatrick Said:

I hope  you don't have a smartphone.  Or a laptop.  What exactly are you supporting?

One data point is not a line.  Without knowing the failure rates of the machines in the wild, we don't know anything.  And by "we" I mean me and all the other people posting here as if they know how unreliable this machine is.  

We don't know how many they have sold; we don't know how many have failed.   And you can't infer a failure rate from forum posts.  I expect way less than 1% of the people who buy one even know this forum even exists.  The actual failure rate could be 50% It could be .01%.

The less Chinese products we buy, the better... JMHO.. You an talk until you are blue in the face. I dont think you are going to convince many of us that a BDB is worth the investment.
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 2:53pm

cuznvin Said:

The less Chinese products we buy, the better... JMHO.. You an talk until you are blue in the face. I dont think you are going to convince many of us that a BDB is worth the investment.

Plenty of threads concerning machines that cost 5x as much encountering problems very soon in their lifecycle, so blasting this one based on one owner's experience is an unfair assessment.  Are you saying there are no Chinese electronics in more expensive equipment?  Face it friend,  Chinese products are everywhere and they're here to stay.
cuznvin

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 2:56pm

crazy4espresso Said:

Plenty of threads concerning machines that cost 5x as much encountering problems very soon in their lifecycle, so blasting this one based on one owner's experience is an unfair assessment.  Are you saying there are no Chinese electronics in more expensive equipment?  Face it friend,  Chinese products are everywhere and they're here to stay.

Believe what you want
cuznvin

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 3:10pm

ULKA.. Made in Italy
GICAR. MAde in Italy
Rocket Control Board.. Italian
MLG PID... USA
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 3:29pm

AlexKilpatrick Said:

Glad to do it.  I know this may come as a shock to those of you who aren't mathematically inclined, but posts on a coffee snob forum are no exactly a statistical sample.  People tend not to post 'My machine is fine, no problems!'

Well, if it makes you feel any better, that's EXACTLY the type of posts people make -- regardless of inclination or ability.  Every time someone asks, What-machine-should-I-buy type questions, the majority of the posts are "Get mine -- my machine is fine, no problems!" regardless of whether their machine is appropriate for the individual asking the question.

AlexKilpatrick Said:

I seem to recall BubbaDude posting that even if his machine needs some repairs, he is still coming out ahead compared to the $3000+ machines.

Again, you're presuming facts not in evidence . . . as if the only options to a BDB is a $3000+ machine.  Certainly this is not the case.

AlexKilpatrick Said:

I don't  know why he would go back on that now, just because it affects him personally.

Awww, gee, you don't?  Really?  Seriously?!?!?  

AlexKilpatrick Said:

The o-ring problem he mentioned was well known, and fixed in later implementations.

You channelling Richard Feynman now?  Sure, the o-rings got fixed, but it hardly made the people affected by their failure feel better . . .

AlexKilpatrick Said:

There is certainly a risk you take on trying out a new design, and every new design is going to have flaws.  But without risk, there is no innovation.

Are we talking about coffee, or the next quantum leap in putting humans in space, or solving the issues of global warming?  Brevile didn't invent $#|+, and certainly not the DB . . .

AlexKilpatrick Said:

Breville has been really good about fixing these problems for people who have been affected.

Their reputation for customer service is second to none.  They are absolutely the worst.  Bar none.

AlexKilpatrick Said:

This is the first case I have heard of them being unwilling to do a repair.

Yes, well . . . you're still relatively new here.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 3:36pm

By the way . . . you remember that

AlexKilpatrick Said:

People tend not to post 'My machine is fine, no problems!'

comment?  Yeah, well, here:

lgilert50 Said:

My 830 is going on 2 years now making 3 to 4 double shots a day, 7 days a week and it has been absolutely trouble free.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
showing page 7 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Quick Mill...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.594909191132)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+