Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 242 of 256 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
kid_drew
kid_drew
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: French press is the closest...
Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013, 8:21am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

carz07 Said:

if dose is constant, tamp is constant, then check grind setting based on coffee age.

although some post here spoke about funky preset buttons, not too many use the preset here, i dont use preset.

Posted September 20, 2013 link

I don't use them often, but I occasionally pull a long black for my wife and I prefer to pull the espresso straight into the water instead of pulling into a shot glass and pouring over.  I can do it manually, but I can't really tell volume when there is already 4oz of water in the cup.  I just watch for blonding.
 View Profile Link to this post
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013, 8:44am

kid_drew Said:

I don't use them often, but I occasionally pull a long black for my wife and I prefer to pull the espresso straight into the water instead of pulling into a shot glass and pouring over.  I can do it manually, but I can't really tell volume when there is already 4oz of water in the cup.  I just watch for blonding.

the preset as what most people say here is funky and they dont trust it perhaps that is what you are experiencing now. i mean if the bean age and grind is not the problem, then its the funky thing

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kid_drew
kid_drew

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: French press is the closest...
Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013, 8:55am

carz07 Said:

the preset as what most people say here is funky and they dont trust it perhaps that is what you are experiencing now. i mean if the bean age and grind is not the problem, then its the funky thing

As long as it's not just mine.  =)
biochemgawd

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013, 9:26am

kid_drew Said:

As long as it's not just mine.  =)

You are not the first to notice this, and I believe the newest version of the BDB addresses it somewhat through programming.

I have set the volumetric buttons to give a relatively high volume. I use the double shot button to start my pull and then push it again to stop it manually when I am happy with the shot. If I get distracted, it still stops automatically and usually the shot is fine.
EspressoObsessed

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: CMH; VL M3
Drip: TV, KMB, Eva Solo, AP
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 11:48am

Anyone else out there experiencing pressure wobble? Occasionally, flow temporarily stops and the pressure gauge drops down to around five. When this happens, there will be between 2-5 pauses in flow/pressure, very brief, followed by full recovery to 9 bars. It happens perhaps once very 10 shots.

I will call Breville tomorrow; just wondering if there were other reports of a similar issue.

Thanks!
couchman

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 12:25pm

Need some advice.
I have had my dual boiler for a few months and recently changed beans.
I am having difficulty dialing in the correct dose and grind.
Right now espresso will start extracting at pressure of 5 and then continue to ramp up to 9-10 and will stay there until I complete the shot.
So the question is am I underdosing, under grinding, under tamping, or something else?
Beans are about 2 weeks old.
Thanks
David
carz07
carz07

Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 6:30pm

couchman Said:

Need some advice.
I have had my dual boiler for a few months and recently changed beans.
I am having difficulty dialing in the correct dose and grind.
Right now espresso will start extracting at pressure of 5 and then continue to ramp up to 9-10 and will stay there until I complete the shot.
So the question is am I underdosing, under grinding, under tamping, or something else?
Beans are about 2 weeks old.
Thanks
David

Posted October 1, 2013 link

hi you mean after preinfusion it goes to 5 and then espresso starts to drip?
when you say ramp up, do you mean it shots up rapidly, because after preinfusion (low pressure) bdb will then kick in the 9bar pressure which should rapidly move the needle to 9bar and then the the espresso drips

2weeks old beans needs grind tweaking already, you will be chasing espresso now tweaking more frequent

couchman

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 11:07am

Thanks for the response.
Yes after the preinfusion the needle moves up but pauses at 5, espresso starts to drip and then then the needle continues to 9bar which it stays at until I stop the shot.
Any ideas?
Thanks

carz07 Said:

hi you mean after preinfusion it goes to 5 and then espresso starts to drip?
when you say ramp up, do you mean it shots up rapidly, because after preinfusion (low pressure) bdb will then kick in the 9bar pressure which should rapidly move the needle to 9bar and then the the espresso drips

2weeks old beans needs grind tweaking already, you will be chasing espresso now tweaking more frequent

Posted October 1, 2013 link

carz07
carz07

Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 7:02pm

couchman Said:

Thanks for the response.
Yes after the preinfusion the needle moves up but pauses at 5, espresso starts to drip and then then the needle continues to 9bar which it stays at until I stop the shot.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Posted October 3, 2013 link

do you weigh you beans, if your dosing is steady then its bean age
you do hit the shower head?
usually its a reverse, you hit 9bar and then slowly eases, or a back and forth - but these case starts low to 9bars not in between

what grinder are you using?

lowespresso
lowespresso
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Roaster: i-Roast 2
Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 7:46pm

My BDB stopped working properly a couple weeks ago, after 8 months of light usage. Pump pressure became progressively weaker independent of grind, etc. Breville customer support was very courteous and helpful. They had me run a couple shots with only double wall basket and verified that pump was not reaching adequate pressures. They sent me a new machine. Hopefully it will last longer than the first.

I'll of course need to empty the water reservoir before I send the old machine back... Anything else I need to do to prepare BDB for return to Breville.

Also, is there an easier way to post from an iPad? As I see it, once I type post I then have to scroll all the way down to bottom of page, which means scrolling through entire thread, before I can see button to submit post! Am I missing something?
showing page 242 of 256 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.489490032196)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+