Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Upgrade theory - Which machine next? And which one after that?
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrade theory -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 9 of 9 first page previous page
Author Messages
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 8:15pm
Subject: Re: Upgrade theory - Which machine next? And which one after that?

Hello everyone.

My inbox has been crammed with responses to this thread and it seems like I've uncovered a sore point with a few people.

I would like to personally apologize for causing this discussion, I didn't mean to stir up the dust on this.

Russell, I would go to your cafe anytime to see what you can do to give me your best. Maybe you could teach me a thing or two!

Diggi, I'm not sure what the heck happened, but don't let it discourage you from posting in the future!

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 8:40pm

I sure hope there is no backstory and this was just people exchanging ideas. I see god-shots germaine to the issue of
upgrading because it may or may not be a driver in why people think they need to upgrade. You know, "I get god-shots because of my machine and you dont because you have machine x,y or z."
Just as steel sharpens steel so ideas sharpen ideas, if we can keep it unemotional and not get personal. Ive changed a lot of my thinking
because at some point in time during a discussion I was presented with an idea that frankly I felt was better and I
wasn't so full of pride or invested in my idea so as to keep it, knowing there was a better one. Ive for awhile been thinking of upgrading but it
would have to be for a reason. I cant say when but I will eventually and Im thinking Silvano, Oscar or La Nuova Era Cuadra  ( what a deal )
So I asked these questions to kick the bucket of ideas to see whats out there. I happen to agree with Russel on god-shot terminology.
I think JBL and Rob love coffee and are knowledgable too and really enjoy what they say.
So for me and I hope for some others this dialogue stimulates a persons examination for upgrading. The Gaggia Classic has served me so well its almost frightening.
Every single day for 5 years with one Group gasket and one steam valve. So, on that still to be determined day,
when I upgrade do I expect super shocking espresso no not really. I am upgrading for more control and more consistency which will
stabilize the quality of my shots over a long period and make it easier.

diggi Said:

I guess I didn't know the backstory here before walking into this mine field as I'm sure this scuffle didn't start on this thread. Sorry if my contributions were interpreted as against one 'side' or the other. Didn't realize the emotions were so heated or I would have refrained from posting.

Posted February 25, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 8:56pm

Hello everyone.

My inbox has been crammed with responses to this thread and it seems like I've uncovered a sore point with a few people.

Why is that ? You cant have an opinion?

I would like to personally apologize for causing this discussion, I didn't mean to stir up the dust on this.

So there things we cant discuss I guess.

Russell, I would go to your cafe anytime to see what you can do to give me your best. Maybe you could teach me a thing or two!

Russel is a knowledgeable person.. I too would drink his espresso.

Diggi, I'm not sure what the heck happened, but don't let it discourage you from posting in the future!

I liked what Diggi said. I read that whole link.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 9:35am

diggi Said:

I guess I didn't know the backstory here before walking into this mine field as I'm sure this scuffle didn't start on this thread.

What backstory?

diggi Said:

Sorry if my contributions were interpreted as against one 'side' or the other.

There are no sides, just people -- yourself included, I would imagine -- who love coffee and want to know more about it, how to improve their own coffee, etc., etc.

diggi Said:

Didn't realize the emotions were so heated or I would have refrained from posting.

Don't ever refrain from posting!

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Iluvdabean Said:

I sure hope there is no backstory and this was just people exchanging ideas.

Agreed!

Iluvdabean Said:

I see god-shots germaine to the issue of upgrading because it may or may not be a driver in why people think they need to upgrade. You know, "I get god-shots because of my machine and you don't because you have machine x,y or z."

Oh, god -- hadn't thought of that!  Yes, exactly the WRONG reason to upgrade!  No machine has cornered the market on "god-shots," and no upgrade will ever guarantee their production.

Just in case anyone has gotten the wrong impression, No machine will ever produce one "god-shot," let alone do so consistently.  "God-shots" are rare and serendipitous events that only occur when "God is in his heaven, the stars are aligned just so, and all is right in the world."

I just got back from a week in Washington DC.  My morning doppio ristretto of Ethiopian Natural Yirgacheffe Wote Konga was GREAT!  Was it a "god-shot"?  No.  Was it amazing?  Yes!  Were my taste buds doing the "happy dance" in my mouth?  Absolutely . . . I had some good espresso in DC, but this was excellent . . .

JasonBrandtLewis: icon_wink.gif

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 11:18am

I didn't think this thread had gotten over heated.... I thought it was pretty good.  What does the OP think of the thread?  That is the important thing.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 11:28am

Coffeenoobie Said:

I didn't think this thread had gotten over heated.... I thought it was pretty good.  What does the OP think of the thread?  That is the important thing.

Posted February 26, 2013 link

"Ever" the OP has not logged into CG since Feb 20  :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Ever
Ever

Espresso: EC155
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 1:55pm

D4F Said:

"Ever" the OP has not logged into CG since Feb 20  :)

Posted February 26, 2013 link

I'd log in more often, but I'm too busy workin' over here!

When I get home I'll edit this with my comments after reading the new posts. Not sure what kind of drama has ensued, but I imagine there's some worth-while content in there ;)

My Twitter: http://bit.ly/VTiS2r
showing page 9 of 9 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrade theory -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.492244005203)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+