Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 164 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:07am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

JJC Said:

Speaking with great frustration!

I have a modest request. If you non-owners would think before you post. "Will this help BDB owners in their use of their
existing machines?" If the answer is No, go start a thread that might be titled something like:
Breville Dual Boiler Non-Owners thread.

Really, you outsiders are for the most part greatly reducing the value of this thread and CG in general as a way for
BDB owners to exchange information.

Posted February 21, 2013 link

ditto, and Thanks! Jim Well said and very "Civil"

I too am interested in the support issues raised by Bubba Dude's situation. BD good luck! I hope that My machine stays "healthy".

I remember coming across a web site that had a complete set of parts lists and exploded diagrams of the BDB. I will see if I can find it. But, if someone else has that URL please post.

After my machine has passed its warranty period, I plan to "peek" under the hood.

I am still in shock about how good a job the BDB does at the price point (yep, I am retired so I don't have enough to buy my expensive "dream machine" :D ).

And, as I said in one of my first posts on this thread, only time will tell about the long term reliability of the machine. But, I can buy several of them for what my "dream machine" would cost.

I still enjoy the espresso, so, so far, I am happy.

Cheers,

Dave

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
 View Profile Link to this post
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:12am

tinytot2 Said:

My apologies.  I'm actually looking to buy one (still am) and customer service is important to me and part of being an "almost" owner.  I can see where it got too off topic, though.

Prospective owners are more than welcome here.  And you are right to be worried about customer service.  Breviile has a spotty history at best, and this is still a new machine with bugs to be worked out.  If you can use a credit card that extends the warranty, I would highly recommend it.  However, to their credit, Breviile has done a great job supporting this particular machine.  You can also check out the BDB thread on coffeesnobs.  They have had the machine for a lot longer in Australia, and you can get a better feel for potential problems.  Customer support in Australia does seem worst than in the US, though.

My main beef is people coming into the thread to tell all the reasons why they would not buy this particular machine, or why they think it sucks, or why machine X is vastly superior.  I don't see any purpose in that.  It makes sense in a thread comparing two machines A vs B, but not here.
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:14am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Question:  what if you were Mr. Joe Blow?  What if you were the average consumer, one who didn't jump up-and-down online singing the praises of the BDB and affecting an entire online community?  What if you didn't know CoffeeGeek existed?  What if one of the key people at Breville didn't read your online post, and know that -- for the cost of one new BDB -- he could sell hundreds by keeping you happy, knowing you'll continue to sing not only the praises of the BDB, but the great customer relations they have?

Richard, don't misunderstand me:  I am happy you're being taken care of.  However, I can't help but wonder what would happen to the "average Joe" in this situation . . . .

The issue was the fine print on the warranty, which they tell me they're reviewing. As it stands, it's important to buy from their authorized dealers, which isn't that hard to do.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:18am

joatmon Said:

I would not be expecting great customer service if I bought a used machine on-line.  Would you?

I would expect a good level of customer service if I bought a new Breville from Williams Sonoma.

They were willing to send me a new machine until they saw my invoice. If I'd bought if from SCG, Clive, WS, or even regular Amazon, there would not have been an issue.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AlexKilpatrick

Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:21am

BubbaDude Said:

The issue was the fine print on the warranty, which they tell me they're reviewing. As it stands, it's important to buy from their authorized dealers, which isn't that hard to do.

I agree with this.  It isn't worth saving $100-$200 and potentially losing the warranty coverage.  I assume you would run into the same issue if you bought new from an eBay seller as well.

If you are tying to save money, just keep watching Amazon.  I have seen it as low as $1050 there, although it is a lot higher now.
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:23am

hotwasabipeas Said:

Yes that's great and I am happy for Bubba too! Also, according to Mr. Phil, he said that there is a version 2 AND a version 3 of the BDB coming out this year!

Posted February 20, 2013 link

Come on hotwasabipeas, do you have any hard dates and will they be upgraded units?

Will they accept "trade - ins"?? Come on you've got to share!!!! Inquiring minds want to know (lmao)

Cheers,

Dave

Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:39am

AlexKilpatrick Said:

I agree with this.  It isn't worth saving $100-$200 and potentially losing the warranty coverage.  I assume you would run into the same issue if you bought new from an eBay seller as well.

If you are tying to save money, just keep watching Amazon.  I have seen it as low as $1050 there, although it is a lot higher now.

BD and Alex,

FWIW I bought mine from a Local Chicago outfit (ABT.com) they had a small discount (15%) right before Christmas so I went for it even with the sale tax (8% in ILLinois). I got the extended warranty via my CC and I think if they put a factory service facility (contract) in Chicago ABT could be a good candidate (IMHO). Their customer support has been an "11" for the 35 years that I have dealt with them.

My unit appeared to be "fresh" at time of purchase (no plastic in the PF, and PRV was set to 10.5 bar). Getting "stale" units sometimes scares me away from some "on-line" sales.

This was not meant to be an ad for ABT, but, the point here is that I tried to "hedge my bets" on the BDB plus save a little "moola" in the bargain.

In this day and age I think it pays to read the fine print. That having been said, sometimes, you get "caught out".

You just have to shop til you drop I guess :D

OBTW BD Keep us posted

Cheers,

Dave

dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 11:04am

AlexKilpatrick Said:

Got mine from WS 30% off sale Nov 2011 .  839 $ plus tax and free shipping.

-Peter
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 11:06am

tinytot2 Said:

The level of customer service should be the same whether you have a new or used machine.  Granted, people need to understand that they may need to spend their own money if their machine is purchased used or out of warranty.

My understanding in Canada is that no matter where you purchased your machine you later have to deal with Breville directly since no one is autorized to service them. Therefore, the warrenty applies acorss the board.
selzoc

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 11:43am

dagoat Said:

Got mine from WS 30% off sale Nov 2011 .  839 $ plus tax and free shipping.

-Peter

Me too.  This past year, they had a 20% off sale I think, not quite as good!
showing page 164 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.529392004013)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+