Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 32 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BubbaDude
BubbaDude
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 11:20am
Subject: Re: Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB

cuznvin Said:

bad press on a public forum is more  of a reason you got it taken care of..

Posted February 21, 2013 link

Yes, and buying from the wrong dealer got me in to the problem in the first place. When you're an early adopter, you need warranty protection, that's just the way things are.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 1:46pm

It is not abuse or misuse, it is a DESIGN flaw.
If they really want to change people's perception of them and their products, a flaw in the design should be covered no matter who you bought it from for at least 2-3 years.  If they don't do this right they will loose the little credibility they have built up.  The Toyota brake thing is a business rep lesson, they had a great reputation and almost lost all of it by denial and cover ups.  Breville has a lot less good will built up so it would not take many set backs to loose it all.  I don't believe they can afford to do that in this day of internet reviews.  We, the consumer, have a much better platform to air grievances than ever before. Without this forum I believe Bubbadude would have been stuck with a useless $1200 piece of plastic.

Power to the people.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 2:28pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

Without this forum I believe Bubbadude would have been stuck with a useless $1200 piece of plastic.

Amen to that!

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 7:36pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

It is not abuse or misuse, it is a DESIGN flaw.
If they really want to change people's perception of them and their products, a flaw in the design should be covered no matter who you bought it from for at least 2-3 years.  If they don't do this right they will loose the little credibility they have built up.  The Toyota brake thing is a business rep lesson, they had a great reputation and almost lost all of it by denial and cover ups.  Breville has a lot less good will built up so it would not take many set backs to loose it all.  I don't believe they can afford to do that in this day of internet reviews.  We, the consumer, have a much better platform to air grievances than ever before. Without this forum I believe Bubbadude would have been stuck with a useless $1200 piece of plastic.

Power to the people.

Without this forum I would have been stuck with a repair bill. If Phil's diagnosis is correct, all the machine needed was a looser clamp and a new 50 cent thermistor. Let's not go overboard.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
AlexKilpatrick

Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 7:40pm

BubbaDude Said:

Without this forum I would have been stuck with a repair bill. If Phil's diagnosis is correct, all the machine needed was a looser clamp and a new 50 cent thermistor. Let's not go overboard.

And if that is correct, it would have been the minimum shop charge - $100.  Still annoying, but not a deal-breaker.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 8:23pm

BubbaDude Said:

Let's not go overboard.

Like this?

BubbaDude Said:

So I'm going to take this piece of junk in for service, and if the repair cost is as high as I imagine it will be, it will be hitting the trash can and polluting a landfill shortly. It's a shame Breville didn't have the foresight to allow users to update their firmware without a service incident. Sad rookie mistake.

Buyer beware, dudes.

Posted February 18, 2013 link

Roger that.  :-)

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
AlexKilpatrick

Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 8:33pm

Ouch!  Zing from the moderator...  :-)
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 8:55pm

JonR10 Said:

Like this?)

Yes, just like that.

BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 8:58pm

AlexKilpatrick Said:

And if that is correct, it would have been the minimum shop charge - $100.  Still annoying, but not a deal-breaker.

When I took it in, they reduced the deposit to $20 and the minimum charge to $75, so it wasn't even as bad as they told me over the phone. When I picked it up today, they even refunded the deposit so I wasn't even out the $20, just a couple trips to Soma. There are worse places to go for all that.

After I picked it up, I had a meeting with a tech journalist in Oakland and told him he should write a story about the BDB's design process and whatnot. He may just do it.

JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 9:03pm

BubbaDude Said:

When I took it in, they reduced the deposit to $20 and the minimum charge to $75, so it wasn't even as bad as they told me over the phone. When I picked it up today, they even refunded the deposit so I wasn't even out the $20, just a couple trips to Soma. There are worse places to go for all that.

Very good to hear, and I hope everything is now completely resolved so you can go back to making great espresso....
Because that is what it's all about for us.  It's the passion for the bean.  ;-)

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
showing page 32 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.512001037598)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+