Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Looks Great, Tastes Great, Runs too Fast?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Looks Great,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 4:42pm
Subject: Re: Looks Great, Tastes Great, Runs too Fast?

Guess I just gotta grind finer! :)

Incidentally, when I mentioned Home Barista, I wasn't talking about the forum, but rather the home/hobbyist baristas that make up the majority of the forum, ie not cafe baristas. I do know there is a criteria for a true espresso, which is something like 16-18g of coffee in 50-60ml in 27-32 seconds. Isn't that about right?
 View Profile Link to this post
john_ertw

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 8:29pm

frcn Said:

rhetorically speaking, if you like espresso that takes 15 seconds from "pump on" then fine, BUT, how will you know if that is the best espresso you can make unless you experiment with other doses, grinds, and extraction times?

Posted February 22, 2013 link

Don't get me wrong.  I spent the first month with my machine varing everything one variable at a time to get drinkable espresso.  The next two months were spent only making 25-30 second espressos which were drinkable.  I tried a range of doses from 14g - 18g.  I was finding that the coffee would expand into the screen with the higher doses and eventually settled at 15g (for now).

The 20-22 second espresso came about as an accident.  I always try every shot to try to learn and improve and found this shorter duration had a lot less bitterness.

It usually takes about 6-8 seconds from pump start to the first drips (using a spouted portafilter).

I am almost at the end of the current bag of beans, but next bag I'll try my current parameters and then calblacksmith's suggestion to updose at the same grind or grind finer and downdose.
 View Profile Link to this post
alsterling
alsterling
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 (Had Expo)
Grinder: Macap M4 & Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Not yet...
Drip: Capresso MT-500 & Melitta...
Roaster: Hottop Digital
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 8:56pm

First post in a few years..... nice to see things look relatively the same. Regarding this thread that caught my eye......... Over the years, and I'm sure like many others, I've applied and tested so many variables and permutations in my espresso brewing. Since the beginning, when I discovered a blend that I have since considered "my absolute favorite" for milk drinks, I've taken that blend and tweaked roast, grind and brew in probably thousands of combinations. I've found my sweet spot. So with my "main line blend", I know from experience what I'll get when I make a change, either on purpose or by accident. With various beans I bring back from trips to our home in Brasil, I start out by hitting all of those "recommended guideline numbers." And it usually works. From there, I know where I may want to go. Point being, for those who have a favorite blend or single origin, I would say, do your due diligence at the outset, and after you find your "sweet spot", do yourself a favor and just enjoy. If you understand the science behind coffee, you should know when you're significantly under or over common sense roasting, bean prep and brewing values. In roasting, I find that stopping within 10 to 20 seconds of entering second crack is a good starting point when I don't know much about a bean. And I've got marks on my grinder for my "special blend", and a starting point for unknown single origins and blends. For brewing time, I expect my extractions to start at about 6-10 seconds from hitting the button. I then expect at least 18-22 seconds of dark to medium tiger tail extraction before I see significant blonding. Even with the volumetric metering of my machine, I have always used a digital timer and my eye on the portafilter to gauge my extractions. But only with time and numerous hours behind the boilers have I developed my own personal confidence. It's understandable to question these guidelines. I'm sharing only to say that your confidence will grow as you invest more and more time playing with the variables. But above all, pick a realistic baseline to start, and "go off the reservation" with the knowledge of where your home is....... my humble contribution.

Member No.12047 - SCAA
http://www.baristaexchange.com/profile/AlSterling
Warning: Close cover before striking
"Space Available Here for Something Really Prolific"
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Looks Great,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.354193925858)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+