Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Time to Upgrade?! *Silvia V3 + Vario
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Time to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
1k2go

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 7:33pm
Subject: Time to Upgrade?! *Silvia V3 + Vario

I woke up with an itch to upgrade my setup. I have a V3 silvia that has been meticulously maintained for the past few years. It pulls a decent shot, but I'm getting a bit tired for temp. surfing and waiting for the machine to heat enough to steam.  

Additionally, when I have friends over the constant lag between shot/steam gets old real fast when I'm trying to make multiple drinks.

I was looking at a Rocket Premium Plus, but am open to suggestions. Additionally, I'm pretty sure that my vario should suffice, but also open to suggestions if that seems insufficient.

Or should I scrap the idea of upgrading and just PID the silvia?

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 7:59pm
Subject: Re: Time to Upgrade?! *Silvia V3 + Vario

Pid will not speed up the steaming.  You need to move up to a HX or DB for more steam power.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
1k2go

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 8:11pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

Pid will not speed up the steaming.  You need to move up to a HX or DB for more steam power.

Posted February 22, 2013 link

Valid point that I continually forget when searching. Another issue I just stumbled on is the warm-up time. What once was 10 mins will potentially turn into an hour. Is this tolerable for most? Mitigated through a timer on the outlet?
RussK
RussK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Type B
Drip: Bunn DV TC / Chemex / Hario...
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 8:32pm

I upgraded from a Silvia V2 to a Alex II HX for the same reasons that you mentioned and have been very happy ever since. I am not sure exactly which Rocket you are considering but the Premium Plus that I looked at was tank only. While you are taking the next step, if possible I would recommend plumbing in. I just plumbed the drain on my Alex and can now flush with abandon with no worry of overfilling the drip tray. I have had the supply plumbed from the start. Nothing gets annoying like filling a water tank in the middle of making drinks.

As far as the Vario goes I can not say because I have not had one but it should be sufficient.

Heat up time on mine is more like 30 minutes maybe, but more time is always good.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 8:58pm

I too upgraded for similar reasons.  I agree go HX or DB, try to plumb in if you can. It you can't consider getting something you can run in reservoir mode and plumb in later. Be wary of power supply needs before you purchase. Regarding the warmup, a timer is definitely the way to go. You can get a programmable light timer and set it to turn on your machine an hour before you need it. You'll probably want a surge protector for that too. CCS sells a pretty cheap small profile Belkin one.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:52pm

PID can stop the surfing and can help steam by getting rid of most of the deadband of the OEM bimetal.  When you turn the steam switch on, the element gets full power without a controller, and the PID controller will not help that.  On the alarm circuit it will still have full undamped power for the initial heat up, and then less deadband giveing a potentially higher mean temperature and more power.  Steaming may be a bit better and a bit faster, but not heating to initial steam temperature.

Better temperature, better steam

Click Here (www.jgbhose.com)

As noted, if you are looking for more than that, HX or DB.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
1k2go

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 12:36am

Readily having steam is at the top of the list. That said, I think an HX machine is in the cards. The Rocket Premium Plus seems to have great reviews. I think I'll pull the trigger on that, unless there is a better suggestion.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 8:56am

1k2go Said:

Valid point that I continually forget when searching. Another issue I just stumbled on is the warm-up time. What once was 10 mins will potentially turn into an hour. Is this tolerable for most? Mitigated through a timer on the outlet?

Posted February 22, 2013 link

All machines need at least 30+ min to fully warm up, the Boiler will be warmed up in 10 min on the Silvia easily and most any other machine, but not the rest of the parts or flow path or PF etc that can zap heat away from water. Least 30 min and then run a blank shot or two.

Go h/x or db as said before, even with a PID you still have to deal with the Silvia being a single boiler so you still have the wait time that's fine for like 1 or 2 people but annoying as heck with a couple more lol. Least with the CC1 and Silvano they have separate thermoblocks for steaming so their faster switching back and forth then other sbdu machines, but obviously that's where an h/x or db will exceed efficiently.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Time to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.395435094833)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+