Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help with my first purchase
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help with my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 3:59pm
Subject: Re: Help with my first purchase

Sorry, my confusion.  I add hot water from instahot for Americano, not from the machine and I found enough definitions of the Cafe Crema that I am not sure about the Gaggia.  If you are referring to the Swiss drink, then volumes vary, but perhaps not a good Gaggia drink.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
Robs291

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia V3
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 4:10pm

D4F Said:

Sorry, my confusion.  I add hot water from instahot for Americano, not from the machine and I found enough definitions of the Cafe Crema that I am not sure about the Gaggia.  If you are referring to the Swiss drink, then volumes vary, but perhaps not a good Gaggia drink.

Posted February 23, 2013 link

No problem. Yes, I was referring to the drink where you have a coarser grind and pull about 6 ounces.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 6:51pm

Robs291 Said:

Is the Sylvia easy enough to use and also able to make great espresso without a PID and having to temperature surf? Has anyone made cafe cremas with it with great success? Considering the drinks I would be making is this the right machine for me? Any feedback one my grinder dilemma? I am looking to spend around $800 for both the grinder and machine, which I see I can to at WLL or SCG.

Posted February 22, 2013 link

NO SBDU machine can make great espresso without a cooling flush . . . so what?  ;^)  REmember one thing:  the most difficult thing about the cooling flush is describing it.  Doing it is EASY!  Describing it is a royal pain in the a$$ . . .

Robs291 Said:

I have been reading and researching so much I think I have information overload!

Posted February 22, 2013 link

Easy to do . . . analysis paralysis.

Why the Silvia?  What was it about that machine -- specifically -- that caused you to say that's the one for me?

And have you gone through the standard questions?  

Standard Questions:
1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's capabilities.)
2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at ay one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)
3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)
4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pourover machine with its own reservoir?
5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?

Things to think about . . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Robs291

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 4:46am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

NO SBDU machine can make great espresso without a cooling flush . . . so what?  ;^)  REmember one thing:  the most difficult thing about the cooling flush is describing it.  Doing it is EASY!  Describing it is a royal pain in the a$$ . . .

Easy to do . . . analysis paralysis.

Why the Silvia?  What was it about that machine -- specifically -- that caused you to say that's the one for me?

And have you gone through the standard questions?  

Standard Questions:
1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's capabilities.)
I like esporesso, cappucinos, americanos and cafe cremas

2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at ay one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)
I am the sole coffee drinker in the house, mostly 4 to 6 drinks on the weekends and once in a while during the week. Occasionally either my wife or mother in law will have a milk drink.

3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)
I will probably have around 6-8 drinks per week and mostly on the weekends. Only once in a while during the week if time permits!

4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pourover machine with its own reservoir?
I will not be plumbing in water.

5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
15 amp

6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?
My budget including grinder is 800-1000. I increaseds it thinking I would step up the grinder to the Vario.

Posted February 24, 2013 link

My entry level price point and after reading reviews steered me towards the gaggis Classic and the Rancillo Sylvia. Initially I was going to choose the Gaggia Classic, but I saw that the boiler was smaller and wouldn't be sufficient for cafe cremas and americanos. That is what swayed me towards the Sylvia. While the CC1 may have more features, the technology is newer and I wuld rather go with something that has been around for a while and is proven.

I am open to any and all suggestions, and thanks for all the replies.

Rob
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 5:30am

I really think choosing the Silvia over the CC1 would be unwise. From what I have seen on this forum, a Silvia without a PID is a frustrating experience to say the least. A lot of people will chime in with how much they love the Silvia, but it's either the machine they used to have until they bought their Rocket/Izzo/Vibiemme or it's on Craigslist from someone who gave up. No insult to current Silvia owners. It's a capable machine in the hands of a skilled user, but it is NOT worth $700. It just isn't. I realize not everyone can start with a HX or DB machine, but I started with a little Saeco that cost me $60 and has the same challenges with a single boiler, temperature surfing, etc. Rancilio has rested on its laurels with the Silvia too long. If we can steer enough people away from this dinosaur maybe we can actually get the company to make some useful revisions that would stop quietly scaring people away from espresso.

Also, from what I've heard the Rocky is a joke. Get a Preciso, Vario, or even an Ascaso or Lelit PL53. Hell, the NS Grinta is cheaper than the Rocky. There are so many capable and affordable grinders out there that cost less than the Rocky (minus the Vario).
Robs291

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 9:30am

Update:

I finally pulled the trigger. Please don't hold it against me, but I went with my gut (and budget) and got a Silvia (no PID), Vario grinder, tamper and all accessories within my $1000 budget. The Silvia fit my needs as far as abilities, size, and was within my budget. I figure worst case, I can always add a PID or resell it and upgrade. But I plan on using her as is for a while to get the hang of it and learn, since this is my first foray into a real espresso machine.

Thanks again for all the advice. Now I have to wait until Monday for delivery!
JPF

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 9:51am

Well, you've got a great grinder, which is important.  You'll be able to pull good shots with this equipment and freshly roasted coffee.  Be sure to check out Mark Prince's video on pulling a shot with Silvia if you haven't.

Living the caffeinated life.
coffeestig

Espresso: Quick Mill QM67
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic...
Drip: French Press
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 1:24pm

Robs291 Said:

Update:

I finally pulled the trigger. Please don't hold it against me, but I went with my gut (and budget) and got a Silvia (no PID), Vario grinder, tamper and all accessories within my $1000 budget. The Silvia fit my needs as far as abilities, size, and was within my budget. I figure worst case, I can always add a PID or resell it and upgrade. But I plan on using her as is for a while to get the hang of it and learn, since this is my first foray into a real espresso machine.

Thanks again for all the advice. Now I have to wait until Monday for delivery!

Posted March 7, 2013 link

Congrats!

I post this all of the time but even on a crappy 150 machine and preground Sbx coffee I loved getting into this addiction and even on that setup - all my guests were blown away.  What you got is far nicer than that and you'll love the process as well as the result.  Share with other people often and you'll enjoy it even more.  Company and experience > equipment.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help with my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.493265867233)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+