Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
What's going on with my Giotto?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What's going on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
SAMHFOLEY

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Espresso Giotto...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: stove top popper
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 3:35pm
Subject: What's going on with my Giotto?

I have had a Rocket Giotto for the past 6 years.  I have had no problems with it.  I use it at home, and only pull 2-3 shots a day.  I back-flush with purocaf once a week and descale the machine 2-3 times a year.  This morning I turned it on and brought it up to pressure only to find that there was no response from the steam wand.  I was able to turn the knob all the way until it unscrewed from the machine.  I had never tried before, so I checked to see if I could do the same with the hot water knob, and I cannot.  This leads me to believe that I have to have the machine serviced.  Am I correct in my deductions, or is there more that I can do on my end.  Thanks in advance for any insights you might have.

Sam
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 3:53pm
Subject: Re: What's going on with my Giotto?

The knob has either broken the circlip that holds it to the valve stem, or has pulled the end off of the valve stem.  With the knob unscrewed, look at the end of the stem in there.  Is it still intact and okay to just have a new circlip stuck on, or is the brass actually deformed to the point where it no longer has a groove but just a complete skinny end?
Either way, it will be better off with a whole new valve stem (Complete piece with the valve-tip that makes the seal and all) but if a new circlip will buy you another couple of years, that's an option.
SAMHFOLEY

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 5:30pm

Looks pretty straight, but not sure what it should look like. Do you have an image, and a place to buy a circlip?

SAMHFOLEY: IMG_2874.JPG
(Click for larger image)
SAMHFOLEY

Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 8:07pm

I took the cap off of the knob and found these inside....

The tip looks pretty flat and I found an end piece that appears to have been severed, ground down.  Tried to reassemble it as per the other side, but to no avail.  So what do I need to buy to fix it?  Is it difficult to do? I am over here in Japan, so I'll need to order the part first and foremost.  Thanks again in advance...

SAMHFOLEY: IMG_0975.JPG
(Click for larger image)
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:10am

Your Giotto has the compression style valves, I THINK.

The fullest featured Giottos have the non-compression valves, which can be rebuilt should this happen.  Unfortunately, the compression style cannot be rebuilt(save for the quick fix described above), a whole new valve needs to be purchased.

Thats all I know.  Someone more in tune with what Giotto you have will be able to provide better information.  But if it IS the compression style valve you've got, a new valve is probably going to be needed.  IDK where in Japan you could go specifically, but its not a wierd or un-common part.  Any espresso repair tech or parts house would have what you need.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
SStones
SStones

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 7:14pm

In your second picture I see that your circlip is fine.  But you do need a new valve-stem.
The long central brass part that you see there shouldn't be narrow at the end like it is, it should just have a groove cut into it so that the circlip in the groove pulls that valve stem off of the seat when you unscrew the knob.
You should remove the valve and take it with you to wherever you go for Rocket parts in your area.  Show them that broken valvestem and see if you can buy just that rather than the complete  valve.
You could alternatively try cutting a new groove a millimeter down the shaft with an extremely thin cutting disk on a dremel rototool or something and see if it lasts.  If your only option is replacing the complete valve, you might as well try repairing the old one, ie. threading it and using a nut instead of the circlip.
SAMHFOLEY

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 9:46pm

So if I remove the valve stem, can I still operate my machine to pull shots, just not using the steam ?  It is a little tricky sounding to be cutting grooves into the stem, and I do not have the tools you described.  I put a call into the shop where I bought it in Vancouver and I'll see what they say about parts.  Living in the countryside of Japan doesn't lend itself to being able to quickly find a parts supplier unfortunately.

Another option might be to just switch over the hot water side to the steam side since I never even use that knob....  Doable??  What steps do I need to follow?  Thanks in advance
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 1:25am

Yes, the machine should still work fine, ASSUMING you can fully close the valve still.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
SAMHFOLEY

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 4:32am

I was able to get a very quick and detailed response form the folks at Rocket-Espresso in Milan.  A part is on the way and hopefully everything will be back to normal in short order.  Thanks to everyone who contributed.  If I need any help putting it in, Ill check back in.  Thanks again.
SStones
SStones

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 5:10am

In the short term, yes, your springs will be holding the valves closed so you can still use it as is,
OR:
You could swap your valve stems from water to steam valves to make the water side the n-openable one and have steam working again.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What's going on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.398000001907)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+