Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
What's going on with my Giotto?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What's going on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
SAMHFOLEY

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Espresso Giotto...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: stove top popper
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 6:45am
Subject: Re: What's going on with my Giotto?

I might try swapping them as I see the parts won't arrive for 7-10 days.  Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 12:20pm

Let us know how it turns out.  The better you document with photos and stuff the better it is for others with the same issue.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SAMHFOLEY

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 4:58pm

the two look different.  Are you sure I can swap them?

SAMHFOLEY: IMG_0976.JPG
(Click for larger image)
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 7:14pm

Swap only the external most parts. Leave the plumbing as is ans the valve bodies passing through the wall as they are.

If you hold the valve body (where the pivot and arm leave downward) in one adjustable wrench you can unscrew the chromed part that is hex-shaped, outside the brass valve stem with the broken off end (The chromed part closest to the plastic knob). That piece is holding a spring tightly against the sealing end of the valve-stem/valve-tip which presses it against the valve seat and stops the flow.  You'll see once you're in there.

If it seems tight, put a small dish-cloth on the chrome and hold that with the adjustable wrench to avoid a potential scratch.

When unscrewing the unbroken (Currently water) side, take the shiny plastic cap off the knob first and make sure it's not about to break like the other side.  If it isn't nice and clean in there, this activity puts it at potential risk of strain and breaking like its brother, be gentle.

From the wall forward, I think they are the same.  If they look different, though, I might be wrong. It could be one has been fixed in the past with parts from a newer model?
SAMHFOLEY

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 7:35pm

Nothing has been serviced since I bought the machine from Rocket in 2009.  I tried taking off the steam valve inside and that went no problem.  The nut at the base of the inside wall is pretty tight though.  Didn't seem to budge.  I might need another type of wrench.

update- Valves swapped and everything appears to be working normally.  Thanks!

update #2 - Now the machine doesn't draw water from the reservoir tank anymore.  I get 5-10 seconds of water out of the bottom well, but then the light starts blinking and I have to remove the tank and manually pour into the small well at the bottom of the machine.....

Update #3 (while you were all asleep probably) - Success!  Don't really know what I did other than unscrew the main portion, remove it and put it back in place.  LOL.  Anyways.  Thanks. Looks like I am set until the new part arrives.  My first venture into espresso machine maintenance, complete.
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 7:09pm

The top of the machine and the metal box attached to it inwhich the reservoir sits isn't perfectly lined up, and not sitting down far enough (low enough) into the machine.  If the reservoir is held too high, that little valve im the bottom isn't held open.

Loosen the screws that hold the top on, wiggle and adjust it down into place with the screws loose and the reservoir in and heavy with half-full water...  Tighten the screws back up with everything nicely lined up like that.
BobMasters

Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 10:14pm

I have encountered the exact same problem with my Giotto after 4 years use. I have tried to purchase a new steam/water valve from Seattle Coffee Gear where I originally purchased the machine. They will not sell me the replacement valve.  They will only sell me the valve if I ship the machine back to them and allow them to screw on the new valve. How do I go about getting a replacement valve from Rocket Espresso?  Their websites on line contact form will not accept my machines serial number for submission of the form.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What's going on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.473294973373)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+