Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Serving and Enjoying Espresso
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Serving and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 6:10pm
Subject: Serving and Enjoying Espresso

I know this question is pretty broad, but I've noticed most of the coffee culture we talk about here is 3rd-wave coffeehouse culture and primarily influenced by markets outside of Italy. While I love every bit of it, I'm really interested in also learning about traditional Italian espresso culture and its rituals. I know about the sugar, the glass of water, the demitasse spoon, but I have only been able to find sporadic tidbits of information on the subject. Does anyone know where I can find out more about how to serve traditional espresso and how one drinks it, stirs it, etc? Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 8:56pm
Subject: Re: Serving and Enjoying Espresso

You asked about traditional dosing several days ago, yeah?

I posted a link to the Instituto Nazionale Espresso Italiano. Seems you haven't had a chance to check it out. They have at least some info there.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 9:51pm

I totally did, emrad. Sorry I didn't respond, it was a decent resource, but either I'm having trouble navigating the site or there's not much about actual Italian cafe culture, customs, and rituals. Did I miss something?
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 3:30am

I'm going to assume from the lack of replies that the web resources on this are as scant as I've been led to believe.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 5:48am

Ok cool, my bad! I hadn't read everything on there in a while. There must be less than what I remember...sorry. Sadly then, it's the best place I know of for the info you seek.

germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 8:08am

May I suggest starting with the history of moka pots and the history of espresso machines, I think this will lead you to more in-depth look at the culture that brought this to us. Wikipedia will have links that will get you to endless google searches  for hours of reading.
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 9:37am

I would suggest going to travel in Italy or at least going to "Little Italy" type districts in major city's. From what I have seen, espresso is what it sounds, a quick affair. Usually cup, saucer, spoon. Traditional cappuccino's are regular as are coffee with hot milk mixed in a glass. Italians gather at the cafe and talk sports, business, life etc... Many cafe's will be playing the football game. Usually they stand at bar but occasionally they will sit at the bar or sit at a table. The barista's usually are not kids, rather they are older men that have done this for years and have the status of one that has perfected their craft. It is a very social affair and it is definitely not youth culture, rather there is a large age range. And don't forget the foozball table!

You could also hit up the search function for threads on people that have traveled to Italy and you may find snippets of what you are looking for.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 9:44am

that's a good idea.  In fact, it reminds me of a couple things I learned while traveling in Italy.  Like, milk based drinks are taken less and less as the day turns to night, and only very rarely at the end of a meal.  I have to also say, that I don't remember being served anything but excellent espresso.  We were there 2 weeks...visited Milan, Lake Como, Florence, Venice, the Piedmont and several small towns along our routes between these places...and I had at least two or three a day.  Heck, even the espresso in the gas stations along the autostrada (itallian freeway) was better than most of the stuff here in the states.

Markarian
Markarian

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 1:35pm

It's interesting you mention all this because what spurred this quest on was when I visited a cafe, called Abruzzo on Vancouver's Commercial Drive. It was indeed a Little Italy district. The barista was a middle-aged woman with a brand new two group Aurelia and a monstrous Mythos Plus grinder (which I almost acquired once for $150, but that's another story). She used the actual integrated tamper on the Mythos, so I figured that the gentle tamping, stockfleth, WDT fussiness was all third-wave or hobbyist stuff. Granted, this was my only experience with "real" Italian espresso culture, but the shot was delicious. We were the only people in there who were not old, speaking Italian, and watching football on the flatscreen. Because of this, I figured I had found the right place.
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 7:29am

Markarian Said:

so I figured that the gentle tamping, stockfleth, WDT fussiness was all third-wave or hobbyist stuff. Granted, this was my only experience with "real" Italian espresso culture, but the shot was delicious.

Posted February 25, 2013 link

Its only "hobbyist" stuff, because its american stuff.  And when I say American, I mean Third Wave.  Not the greasyhair hipster filled cafe third wave, no, when I say third wave I mean the push to focus on coffee quality above all else.  I may not be particularly pleased with this current third wave trend of super bright sour candy espresso that is usually anything but delicious, but I very much respect what these people are trying to accomplish.

American espresso, that is to say, GOOD american espresso, is almost a full 180 from italian espresso.  If you asked italian coffee drinkers what they thought of third wave espresso(doesnt matter what type..  super chocolate bomb Dolce from David Schomer, or super bright lemon juice from Sightglass), they would tell you that its a nice effort, but not espresso.  Espresso, to an italian, in Italy, is ingrained in their culture.  Its about more then how the coffee tastes, but rather the experience.  Meeting a friend at the bar for a quick shot and biscotti on lunch break and catching up on old times.  Stopping for a shot in the morning and finally being able to relax for a second after a hectic morning of getting the kids up and out the door.  The pure act of going to have an espresso, is just as enjoyable and common place, as having the espresso itself.

Cappucinio is stricly a morning time beverage.  After 10am, its not a drink italians reach for.  Cafe Latte is an american invention, and usually if you order one in at a bar in Italy, the barista, and any patrons listening, while chuckle to themselves, "heh, tourist".  The only people who drink such things are old women, children, and american tourists.  In Italy.  Here in America, the big gulp latte is the staple of a metropolitan businessman or womans diet :)

Cafes here in America often times serve espresso the tradtional way, which is, in a demi, on a saucer, with a spoon, and a water or sparkling water back.  Though, sadly, even tho the spoon is included, you're looked down upon for adding sugar at many "hipster hangouts".  Then again, you wash your hair, they dont.

In Italy it is similar.  Usuallyua piece of choclate or biscotti comes on the saucer as well, and Ive ever seen in some places the barista will add sugar to the drink for you..  though that is not the norm.  Also, you can get a good shot almost anywhere.  But thats the kicker.  99% of the espresso you'll drink in Italy will be "Good."  1% or less will be excellant.  In America, we have 99% GARBAGE, and 1% Flippin Amazing.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Serving and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.424118041992)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+