Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB
Guatemala Classic Bourbon
Temblor - exceptionally smooth, rich coffee with notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate. Only at
www.thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 37 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 7:58pm
Subject: Re: Trying to Decide R58, Quickmill Qm7,  Breville DB

Italo2275 Said:

Hey So here is an update.
I went back to the dealer and they replaced the machine with onotherone, supposely new as they told me the benchmark them before they send them,
So I take it back home set it up and not only the same sound is there but small drip coming out of a piecw of metal in the center of the machine.
Can you beleive this?? I am going to start a new thread wanting to know if all the R58 make this noise and then send an email to the owner of rocket telling him his machines are not performing as they should.
I will ask for my money back and look for a differen machine. Izzo maybe but will look at the brewtus.

Posted February 26, 2013 link

I would forget that R58 and that dealer. It's really sad that people really dont care what they are selling for so much money!
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 8:16pm

Italo2275 Said:

So I take it back home set it up and not only the same sound is there but small drip coming out of a piecw of metal in the center of the machine.
Can you beleive this?? I am going to start a new thread wanting to know if all the R58 make this noise and then send an email to the owner of rocket telling him his machines are not performing as they should.

Both machines make the same noise, like the boilers are filling?
A small drip comes out of a small piece of metal in the center of the machine?  The brew-head?  The drain? The steam boiler is central, but I don't imagine you've opened it.  What piece of metal?  Is this a joke?  What is the piece of metal supposed to do? Is it possibly the water from a relief valve dripping into the drip tray?
What sort of noise is it making? A metallic rattling like the pump is trying to draw vacuum?
Anyway, I'm too late to start diagnosing it over a forum, and it sounds like you want a different machine.  Damn my curiousity.
Italo2275

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 8:23pm

I will post pics  and video tomorrow.
Honestly I like the look and feel of the machine over the Duetto, today was my third time I looked at the duetto but still like the features on the Rocket. If it only would work correctly noise free like a normal rotary pump then I wouild be happy.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 8:23pm

SStones Said:

Italo2275 Said:

Both machines make the same noise, like the boilers are filling?
A small drip comes out of a small piece of metal in the center of the machine?  The brew-head?  The drain? The steam boiler is central, but I don't imagine you've opened it.  What piece of metal?  Is this a joke?  What is the piece of metal supposed to do? Is it possibly the water from a relief valve dripping into the drip tray?
What sort of noise is it making? A metallic rattling like the pump is trying to draw vacuum?
Anyway, I'm too late to start diagnosing it over a forum, and it sounds like you want a different machine.  Damn my curiousity.

He posted two videos awhile back showcasing the noise. It isnt a joke.
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 8:41pm

Does this place you got it from have an R58 in their showroom?  Does it make the noise?  Can you get the salesperson's attention long enough to have them listen to yours and theirs one after the other?  I'm not saying that I don't believe you, I know I sound like I'm doubting you but I am only doubting the likelihood of two barely related machines having damaged rotary pumps when brand-new.  Anyway, keep posting your findings.
Italo2275

Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 8:54pm

So the fist time I went back the tech guy tested the machine in front of me and heard the noise, he said come back in one hour and told me he fixed it. He said that the motor was bent and touching the pump and becuase of the angle of it it made the noise. Note the noise comes when the shot is being pulled. The one in the showroom did not make the noise and neither do the ones I see on youtube.
Here is the noisem might be faint do to the ba sound but you can hear it,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnNNgBu-cV8

In the new machine( I doubt it was out of the box) same noise but it comes and goes but still present. Andrew meo said it was normal but I think that is BS.

Here is the pic and where the water was dripping when I turned the machine on.

Italo2275: WATER DRIP.jpg
(Click for larger image)
DavecUK

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 4:24am

Italo2275 Said:

So the fist time I went back the tech guy tested the machine in front of me and heard the noise, he said come back in one hour and told me he fixed it. He said that the motor was bent and touching the pump and becuase of the angle of it it made the noise. Note the noise comes when the shot is being pulled. The one in the showroom did not make the noise and neither do the ones I see on youtube.
Here is the noisem might be faint do to the ba sound but you can hear it,

In the new machine( I doubt it was out of the box) same noise but it comes and goes but still present. Andrew meo said it was normal but I think that is BS.

Here is the pic and where the water was dripping when I turned the machine on.

First...STOP SINGING when your pulling a shot.....just kidding.....that noise is a bit irritating isn't it.

Lets clear up a few things that little metal circular button thing on the front panel which drips water after the shot, is where the expansion valve drain exits the case. It's designed to do what it's doing....some dripping after the shot. Techspeak follows: when you draw water to make a shot, cold water goes into the brew boiler, as that water is heated after the shot, it expands. The brew boiler being a sealed system, has to allow for that expansion (or rupture). It does this by letting the expanding water exit from the expansion valve. The expansion valve should be set at about 12 bar and the rotary pump at 9 bar, thus the expansion valve only serves to relieve excess pressure caused by water expansion and should not play any part in shot pressure regulation (as it does on vibe pump machines).

Assuming inlet water is about 20C, then you would get just under 1cc from dripping from that valve or around 18 drops...which is exactly what it looks like you would get from the video....behaviour totally normal.

As for the sound....no that's not normal, but not sure what it is. Is is air and the expansion valve, is it the pump, it it a motor bearing, is it something else....? Dunno, but I do know it would irritate the hell out of me if my machine whined at me every day.

P.S. When you first turn the machine on in the morning, that little button will drip around a teaspoon fool or more into the drip tray, perhaps even as much as an "american fruit spoon", which is around 8cc. Again, totally normal.
Italo2275

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 5:20am

Thanks for the reply and explanation.
The reason i thought the water drip was weird is becuase it did not happen in the first machine I got.But if you say it is normal then ok. As for the noise how do you explain 2 machines the same? Actuallly in the second one it starts and then as the shot pulls goes away.Better then the first but not right.
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 5:35am

I had the same noise out of my duetto pump and motor, bad berring in motor and pump was leaking a bit. some motors come with a rubber gromet over the top berring.
The shaft could be rubbing it if you have one .this could be the sound you hear. a few drops of some 3m oil down the shaft will stop it.
heres what mine sounded like.

http://youtu.be/InFDItoVYFM
Italo2275

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 5:49am

I am not sure it is the same noise, yours sounds like a high pitch sound mine sings.
So here is the second machine with the noise,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7URl4rQx8g
showing page 37 of 41 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Trying to Decide...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.399909973145)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+