Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Saeco Giro series
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Saeco Giro...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
lordbaltimore

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 9:51am
Subject: Saeco Giro series

new to the site and curious about the accepted wisdom regarding the Saeco Odea Giro series coffee/espresso/cappucino machines. recently received one as a gift (shocked to learn they sell for $600- $700), and it's the most advanced device i've had.

are these considered high-end machines? highly desirable brand and model? clue me in.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 12:18pm
Subject: Re: Saeco Giro series

Hi and welcome.

OK, you asked to be clued in so here goes.

Your machine, Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)
is a Super auto machine, the market for them is the ease of use over quality coffee market. They are easy to use as you do not do anything but put beans in the top and push a button. However, a machine will never be able to sense what needs to be adjusted the way a human can and thus this is where the skill of the Barista comes in.

While there are a few members here with super auto machines, they are considered a step down here. Sorry about that.

Like I said, a machine can never take the place of a skilled human in espresso. SA machines also tend to be more prone to breaking than the less complex manual, semi auto and auto machines we favor. To that, the built in grinders tend to be "just good enough" rather than the highest quality you can buy. In espresso, the grinder is more important than the machine. Hard to take in, I know but it is true none the less.

Don't let what I said get you down though, if you feed it fresh beans (less than two weeks since they were roasted) you should be able to get some drinkable, OK espresso from it.

Most often, if we advise anyone to purchase such a machine, it would be for office use where you have a lot of people who will use it but have no idea what they are doing and they don't care to learn either.

Oh as to pirce, the starter machines here start at about $300 and some here have machines that are $3500+ up to $7K then to that, grinders for espresso with motors, start at about $300 and also go into several $K

Price is reflective of commitment and the drive for espresso heaven..... YMMV!

OH, welcome to the board. Hang in there and we can help you to get the most you can from that machine.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
lordbaltimore

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 2:40am

thanks. as i read more on here it is apparent that, with regard to hardware the general wisdom is: greater specificity=better results (get the specific tool for the specific type of drink you prefer).
may try some different configurations and decide what works.
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 4:04am

Saeco specializes in Super-auto machines, but they do make a few semi-auto (ie, real) espresso machines, such as the Classico/Aroma. If you want to get into the joy and anguish that is learning how to do espresso, you could exchange that Giro for a Gaggia or Saeco Aroma/Via Venezia, non-pressurized portafilter (the handle that holds the coffee basket), and a really nice entry-level grinder, like the Baratza Preciso. My first several machines were Saecos, which were solid performers and easy to work on when needing service. But if you just want a machine that makes espresso without actually becoming an artist yourself (not everyone has the time or streak of obsessive insanity), that Giro will sill beat the pants off of Starbucks, provided you use fresh beans.
lordbaltimore

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 2:59am

Markarian Said:

Saeco specializes in Super-auto machines, but they do make a few semi-auto (ie, real) espresso machines, such as the Classico/Aroma. If you want to get into the joy and anguish that is learning how to do espresso, you could exchange that Giro for a Gaggia or Saeco Aroma/Via Venezia, non-pressurized portafilter (the handle that holds the coffee basket), and a really nice entry-level grinder, like the Baratza Preciso. My first several machines were Saecos, which were solid performers and easy to work on when needing service. But if you just want a machine that makes espresso without actually becoming an artist yourself (not everyone has the time or streak of obsessive insanity), that Giro will sill beat the pants off of Starbucks, provided you use fresh beans.

Posted March 3, 2013 link

Thanks. Glad to hear that it's an acceptable device and agree about the Starbucks comparison! Have already listed it for sale here, however, while i explore options. Am learning that, while i like (need) good coffee, work/kids demands may inhibit the bandwidth necessary to 'do it right'..... still, going to try to find the happy medium.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Saeco Giro...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.361124992371)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+