Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help for a first timer?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help for a first...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
biochemgawd

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 12:01pm
Subject: Re: Help for a first timer?

I would also recommend at least checking out IDrinkCoffee - and going to their storefront in Milton. They are true enthusiasts and will let you pull shots on many of their machines on display (including a Speedster!).

Unfortunately you missed their Christmas deals - doesn't hurt to ask for a package deal on something.
 View Profile Link to this post
Phrasemonger

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 12:52pm

Ah, unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to actually make it into their store - it's a bit of a hike from where I am. That being said, I think I'm sold on the Lelit PL41EM V2 espresso machine and the Lelit PL53 grinder now! It's a little bit more than I wanted to spend, but it seems like an awesome set up. And I Drink Coffee seems like the most convenient place for me to order from.

Thanks so much for the help guys, and if anyone has any more feedback or advice please send it along (I'm probably going to wait until the weekend to place the order; I like to stew over big purchases haha).
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 12:56pm

Phrasemonger Said:

I like to stew over big purchases haha).

Posted February 27, 2013 link

Welcome to espresso, OH, BTW, this is just the start and much more than likely,  in a short time will be a SMALL purchase :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 1:02pm

Phrasemonger Said:

Thanks for the heads up regarding the grinder! I'm thinking I'm set on the Lelit PL41EM V2 espresso machine (seems perfect in price, reviews, and functionality), so now it's just a matter of picking the grinder.

On the I love coffee site, it seems I can get the Baratza Virtuoso Preciso or the Lelit PL53 grinders for essentially the same price. Anyone have any thoughts on what would be a better choice?

DaninMaryland Said:

PL53 over the Viruoso hands down.  Virtouso doesnt have enough adjustment.

The Preciso was the actual question and it works fine and had plenty of adjustment, the Virtuoso does not.  I cannot compare it to the Lelit.  Many threads on CG recommend the Preciso though a few members have had problems.  I am happy with mine.  If I were going to purchase a Preciso, I would simple ask for the manufacture date or use a serial number and confirm with Baratza.com that it has all of the updates and new gearbox.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
DaninMaryland

Espresso: V2 Silvia
Grinder: Vario-W
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 1:25pm

D4F Said:

The Preciso was the actual question and it works fine and had plenty of adjustment, the Virtuoso does not.  I cannot compare it to the Lelit.  Many threads on CG recommend the Preciso though a few members have had problems.  I am happy with mine.  If I were going to purchase a Preciso, I would simple ask for the manufacture date or use a serial number and confirm with Baratza.com that it has all of the updates and new gearbox.

Read his original post again which is why i responded like i did, he asked about the Viruoso Preciso, which is not the same as the Preciso.   Preciso - yes for espresso.  Virtuoso Preciso - no for espresso.

i checked the website he was referring to and they dont sell the Preciso, only the Viruouso Preciso...so my original post is correct.  go with the PL53
DaninMaryland

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 1:40pm

Phrasemonger Said:

Ah, unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to actually make it into their store - it's a bit of a hike from where I am. That being said, I think I'm sold on the Lelit PL41EM V2 espresso machine and the Lelit PL53 grinder now! It's a little bit more than I wanted to spend, but it seems like an awesome set up. And I Drink Coffee seems like the most convenient place for me to order from.

Thanks so much for the help guys, and if anyone has any more feedback or advice please send it along (I'm probably going to wait until the weekend to place the order; I like to stew over big purchases haha).

good luck, i think you will like this setup a lot.  I almost purchased a refurb Lelit PL41 but ended up finding a too good to be true deal on a used Silvia for $75 so it was a little hard to pass up, lol.  Definetly prefer the looks of the lelit to the Silvia as well, its a very good looking machine.  only heard good things about the grinder you are getting too.  

Make sure you get all the goodies ordered too (tamper, cups, frothing pitcher, 0.1 gram scale, and LOTS of fresh beans) so you dont have a shiny new machine sitting there and nothing to make espresso with!
D4F

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 1:46pm

Well I could be wrong but my first grinder directly from Baratza was a Baratza Virtuoso Preciso and had Virtuoso on the case front, sent to me as a Preciso.  My later model also directly from Baratza says Preciso.  If you look at the Baratza troubleshooting site for getting the case off of a Preciso, the Virtuoso Preciso case is shown under the Preciso heading.  Their explanation was that early models were "Virtuoso Preciso" and that changed to "Preciso" only.  Not to be confused with some machines that I saw on Ebay for a while which were Virtuoso with Preciso burrs.

Virtuoso Preciso equals Preciso not equals Virtuoso.  Yep they recognized the name confusion and dropped the Virtuoso label on the Preciso.

Click Here (www.baratza.com)

D4F also at
DaninMaryland

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 2:05pm

D4F Said:

Well I could be wrong but my first grinder directly from Baratza was a Baratza Virtuoso Preciso and had Virtuoso on the case front, sent to me as a Preciso.  My later model also directly from Baratza says Preciso.  If you look at the Baratza troubleshooting site for getting the case off of a Preciso, the Virtuoso Preciso case is shown under the Preciso heading.  Their explanation was that early models were "Virtuoso Preciso" and that changed to "Preciso" only.  Not to be confused with some machines that I saw on Ebay for a while which were Virtuoso with Preciso burrs.

Virtuoso Preciso equals Preciso not equals Virtuoso.  Yep they recognized the name confusion and dropped the Virtuoso label on the Preciso.

thats not what i understood.  They originally had the viruoso, then introducted a Preciso that had a different burrs.  then they started adding hte preciso burrs to the viruso and called it virtuoso preciso to indicate it had the preciso's burrs.  so at one point there was a virtuoso, virtuoso preciso, and preciso... then they eventually just called it virtuoso since they all hadthe preciso burrs now...

that was from my research when trying to figure out which to buy.  They both have the same exact burrs now (preciso), but the Preciso has the micro adjustment that the Virtuoso does not have any longer.

i could be wrong, but i am pretty sure that was the evolution...at least from my non-scientific internet based research...

you know, they cant lie on the internet, so...
D4F

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 2:28pm

To the point of the OP, I would be happy to by the Virtuoso Preciso if I could confirm that it is indeed the Preciso with micro-adjustments.  As you saw if you looked under the Preciso case removal PDF the labelled Virtuoso Preciso had a micro-adjustment and was indeed a Preciso :)

Any confusion would be avoided by asking for the confirmation that micro-adjustment is on the machine :)

D4F also at
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 2:33pm

The name is confusing. Agreed. If it has the micro adjustments it is good enough for espresso.  If it only has one adjustment it is not.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help for a first...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.449036121368)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+