Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Macap M4 zero point question
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Macap M4 zero...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
cathor

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 Rossini
Grinder: Macap M4 Stepped
Posted Sat Mar 25, 2006, 12:40pm
Subject: Macap M4 zero point question

I just got a Macap M4 and have a question in regards to the zero point. It seems like the zero point on my grinder is at the 3 setting (out of 9). I figured that the coarsest setting then would be past the 9 setting (around 2), but the pin that holds the hopper in place restricts me from moving the grind setting past 9, effectively limiting my range from 3 to 9. This doesn't seem right to me.

Am I missing something?
 View Profile Link to this post
guillermino
guillermino

Espresso: BAZZERA BZ-02-SDE
Grinder: ASTORIA  Super Automatic
Vac Pot: Bodum french press
Drip: melita cone
Roaster: none
Posted Sat Mar 25, 2006, 2:19pm
Subject: Re: Macap M4 zero point question

Yes, you are missing something:

shut the hopper gate, remove the stop pin & remove the hopper

unplug the grinder,  pour the beans left in the grinder chamber into a paper plate.

start turning the adjust collar towards finer & alternately spinning the lower burr nut that rests in the middle of the chamber,  you will reach a point where the nut canot be turned. This is ZERO (the two burrs are touching each other)
I suggest putting a spot of nail polish on the adjust collar to mark this position

put the grinder back together but DO NOT install the stop pin, turn the adjusting ring toward coarser, see what you get, proceed to dial your grinder.
once to get a setting that you are happy with , put a second nail polish spot there (different color)

You had the stop pin in a hole that was too high, look at the location of the holes, they spiral upwards

I left the pin out,  but it is your choice (it makes removing the hopper a pain)

You have a very nice grinder, ENJOY

Regards

Guillermino
cathor

Posted Sat Mar 25, 2006, 2:31pm

Thanks - let me make sure I understand this correctly. Are you suggesting that I turn the collar while the grinder is unplugged?
cathor

Posted Sat Mar 25, 2006, 2:56pm

A few more questions:

It seems like the zero point is at 3 - but I still can't say I'm 100% sure (the burrs whine at this position when the grinder is running). There only seems to be three locations where I can place the pin - 1, 4 and 7. No matter where I place it, it seems I will still loose part of the range.

Does leaving the pin out solve this problem and is there any serious downside to not using the pin (other than safety)?

I have no doubts that this is a great grinder, but I can't recall having seen a worse manual in a very long time. Calibrating a grinder may take a few minutes for an experienced home-barista, but for someone new to espresso/coffee grinding Macap is certainly not doing anything to shorten the learning curve.
cathor

Posted Sat Mar 25, 2006, 7:54pm

I'm speechless. It's 9pm on a Saturday and I get a call from Chris. He saw my post and wanted to help out (I didn't even buy my grinder from him, but I was in his records from a purchase I made for my S1).

I'm glad to say the problem was solved in a few minutes after which we talked about coffee and golf for about half an hour.

Note to self: Allocate 100% of future coffee funds to Chris' Coffee :)

Thanks - much appreciated.
guillermino
guillermino

Espresso: BAZZERA BZ-02-SDE
Grinder: ASTORIA  Super Automatic
Vac Pot: Bodum french press
Drip: melita cone
Roaster: none
Posted Sun Mar 26, 2006, 6:14am

You can adjust your macap towards course anytime, (with or without beans, running or unplugged)

You can adjust your macap towards finer unpluged without beans, the condition where you must be running is going finer with beans in place.

I DO NOT advocate running two hardened cutters into one another @ 1600 RPM, (That was what the finger turning was about).

Yes, you lose a little range with the pin in place, But that little range is not really useable (you will clog your portafilter or the burrs).

OR, just leave the pin out, you know where zero is.

Macap includes the pin to prevent owners from running the two cutters into one another, the mazzer line of grinders do not have this pin.

Your macap manual is probably a order of magnitude better than the mazzer manual.

good luck

guillermino
cathor

Posted Sun Mar 26, 2006, 9:20am

Thanks - I appreciate the help. I'll most likely just leave the pin out then.
helenhelen

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 12:55pm

First, I know this discussion was 7 years ago, but it helped me! I didn't know about the inner burr nut thing to find 0 point. Thank you so much. I just disassembled my grinder twice and cleaned it with rice to try to solve my problem: My M4 would not grind finer, despite my adjusting it lower. After I adjusted the nut per guillermino's instructions, I finally achieved the finer grind I need for a new bean.

So, thank you thank you thank you.

Second, I think Cathor and guillermino are talking about two different pins. guillermino mentioned to remove the stop pin in his original instructions, and I believe he meant the knob that twists out so you can remove the hopper. I think it twists out. I can't remember bc it's so inconvenient a feature that I removed it long ago. (I hope it's in the box.) Am I correct about the first pin you mentioned in your first post, guillermino?

Then guillermino referred to the stop pin on the adjusting ring--I THINK--and removing this. I wonder if I should understand that you run your grinder without this pin, guillermino? And that w/o this stop pin, one could inadvertently adjust the burrs right against each other? I think I'll leave my pin in place for my sake and anyone else who may use our grinder. But would this result in a stepless grinder? My grinder won't engage if the stop pin isn't properly extended into one of the pin holes on the adjusting ring, so I'm curious. If you're still around, thanks again, and for anyone else who may be interested, my Macap M4 has performed wonderfully in the 8 years I've had it. I've cleaned the burrs twice, now, with rice. It doesn't get commericial-level use, but it is used daily. It's a stepped grinder with a doser, and it's a beautiful piece of machinery.

Helen
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Macap M4 zero...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.36213517189)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+