Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Silvia alternative
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
zedex

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 3:32pm
Subject: Re: Silvia alternative

I second the CC1. Silvia is past its prime. At one time it was the go to machine. Now its too expensive for what you get. Much better choices.
I would also look for a barratza grinder either the vario or the one below it. Walk away from the rocky.
 View Profile Link to this post
biochemgawd

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 3:57pm

bogeybutler Said:

I have been looking into buy a Silvia along with the Rocky grinder, but have read several reviews about the Silvia and the temperature issues.  I was considering buying the Silvia with the PID, but was not sure if that was still the best option for the money.  I think I am sold on the Rocky grinder but just not sure if it is worth around $900 for the Silvia with the PID.  Should I be considering other options?

Posted March 1, 2013 link

Take a close look at the Lelit PL4TEM, which also comes with a PID from the factory and is quite a bit less expensive than the Silvia. I've had both and I liked the Lelit better.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 4:31pm

bogeybutler Said:

I have been looking into buy a Silvia along with the Rocky grinder . . .

Why?  What was it about this setup that makes you think this is the way to go?

bogeybutler Said:

I was considering buying the Silvia with the PID, but was not sure if that was still the best option for the money.

Probably not.

bogeybutler Said:

I think I am sold on the Rocky grinder . . .

I'd "unsell" yourself, if I were you.

bogeybutler Said:

Should I be considering other options?

Yes.

Can we start from the beginning?

Standard Questions:
1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's capabilities.)
2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at ay one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)
3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)
4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pourover machine with its own reservoir?
5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 4:39pm

Already posted you JBL  :)  Your post first page part way down.  I could cut and paste but was not sure you would lke that.

D4F Said:

Look at the post and questions from Jason, JBL, on page 1 of this thread.  These questions and answers are very useful.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/616450

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
bogeybutler

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 2:25pm

Thanks for the feedback and questions...answers to questions below.

1.  I will be making espresso, cortados and soy cappuccino's for the Misses. I might make a latte occasionally.
  2.  Most of the time I will be making 2 drinks back to back...one for me and one for the wife.  When we have friends over maybe 4 drinks.
  3.  I will probably make between 10 - 15 drinks per week.
  4.  I do not have the ability to plumb a machine directly into the water supply so I will need a pourover machine with its own reservior.
  5.  This is a good question and will have to double check.
  6.  I would like to keep the cost under $1500.

I have seen suggestions regarding this price point recently and a lot of people like the Oscar (wife does not like the look so will have to pass on that).  After reading suggestions I am leaning towards the Era Cuadra with the Vario grinder.  Is this a sufficient set up for my needs or should I reconsider.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 2:51pm

Check your email.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 3:45pm

bogeybutler Said:

After reading suggestions I am leaning towards the Era Cuadra with the Vario grinder.  Is this a sufficient set up for my needs or should I reconsider.

Posted March 4, 2013 link

Yes.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Micho

Espresso: Crossland CC1 V1.5
Grinder: Kitchenaid Pro Line with...
Roaster: Modified Air Crazy popcorn...
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 8:04pm

I own the CC1, and highly recommend it for the money. Heck, I think even Seattle Coffee Gear is selling it as a combo right now which includes a Baratza Vario for less than $1000 altogether. You seriously can't beat that.  Great espresso machine, built-in PID, decent tamper included so you don't need to buy one at the moment, and an amazing grinder.  If you're not pulling amazing shots with that setup, I don't know what to tell you. The only thing extra I recommend you add to that setup is a bottomless PF for training purposes (and to watch all that candy pour down).  

That's the best advice I can give you.

EDIT: It looks like the combo now also includes a free bottomless portafilter, so there you go.
bogeybutler

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 2:54pm

Thanks for all the input...I just purchased the La Nuova Era Cuadra with the Vario W Grinder.  Wish me the best.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 3:14pm

bogeybutler Said:

Thanks for all the input...I just purchased the La Nuova Era Cuadra with the Vario W Grinder.  Wish me the best.

Posted March 6, 2013 link

Great combo right there, worlds better then paired with the Silvia. Plus it looks good too so wifey will like it lol, I get what she means about the Oscar, great machine but def the ugly duckling of machines. especially in this price range and up. I bet if they offered a metal version option it'd still sell no prob for more $.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.501877069473)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+