Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 177 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 7:46am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

danioro Said:

I will do it.  I need a blind PF first I guess.

I'll let you know progress.

Dan

Posted March 4, 2013 link

not naked pf but blind, use the rubber thing that comes with the machine, that rubber thing you used with the cleaning tablets. use that, read the manual how to do the cleaning proceedure and you will notice the pressure with it

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 8:26am

danioro Said:

I don't have a blind, just the rubber thingy with the hole in it that makes a squealy noise and hurts my ears and doesn't seal well enough to measure pressure.  Tried to order a blind when I bought the mocheen but they were constantly backordered.  I could try again.

I seem to remember somewhere on the forum a thread about making a blind using duct tape or aluminum tape or something?  This forum is getting long and cumbersome to search.

Thanks!

Danioro,

I have just a couple of questions:

Just how long have you had the BDB? (i.e. I am trying to see if you have an early model. My unit was purchased in Nov 2012 and I got a solid stopper)

Did the rubber stopper (blinding plug) make that noise from day one? (Here I am investigating the possiblity of a "failed/defective" OPV)

Have you discussed this with the Breville techs? (the wait is long but I have had several questions answered by them)

I can't believe that a unit could be sent out with the blind pressure set so low (IMHO) that's just wrong. And, yes, it is not impossible that you were shipped a defective unit. "Life" happens.

Also, I would cover the hole with a small piece of the "metalized" duct tape (and if you can't find a small hunk of metalized I'd just use regular duct tape) and follow the steps in the manual for cleaning EXCEPT don't do the cleaning cycle. Just use the programmed two shot button.

Push and hold it until the pressure gauge is "maxed out". That reading should be greater than 10 bar (atmospheres). Then release it.

You could then make the adjustment as per the you-tube video, but, if it's still under warranty, maybe call Breville??? Your choice, of course.

Anyway, best of luck, and keep us posted.

Cheers,

Dave

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
 View Profile Link to this post
wjordan

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Breville BEX900XL
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Precise
Roaster: Local - Hasbeans, London, ON
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 8:27am

Regarding grinders, I'm using the Baratza Preciso which is doing a decent job. Grind is consistent, often clumpy, but easily addressed with a little mixing. If I ever upgrade, perhaps I will go with the Vario, but I'm happy and still experimenting a lot with my Preciso.

Whie researching, I came across this:

Baratza Product Comparison

Any idea why the Vario W is NR for espresso?

On a different note, when trying a new bean, what should be the first parameter to experiment with, grind or dose? Once grind/dose/tamp are set in, I move on to temperature to get the best taste, so temp is definitely last on my list. I'm just having trouble assessing what dose to use on a particular bean. Perhaps this is a chicken/egg type of question, so any general feedback on individual process is appreciated!

Cheers,
Wayne
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 9:43am

wjordan Said:

Regarding grinders, I'm using the Baratza Preciso which is doing a decent job. Grind is consistent, often clumpy, but easily addressed with a little mixing. If I ever upgrade, perhaps I will go with the Vario, but I'm happy and still experimenting a lot with my Preciso.

On a different note, when trying a new bean, what should be the first parameter to experiment with, grind or dose? Once grind/dose/tamp are set in, I move on to temperature to get the best taste, so temp is definitely last on my list. I'm just having trouble assessing what dose to use on a particular bean. Perhaps this is a chicken/egg type of question, so any general feedback on individual process is appreciated!

Cheers,
Wayne

If you notice, there are two Vario-W on there, the one not recommended looks like it has their new metal burr option geared more towards coarse needs.
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 10:00am

wjordan Said:

Cheers,
Wayne

i dont know if this is baratza's reasoning for not recommending it, but, metal heats up more than ceramic, and in espresso grinds, the grinds are more sensitive to heat due to higher surface area, compared to courser grinds.

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
danioro
danioro

Espresso: Breville BDB, Gaggia coffee...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 10:34am

Do you have the youtube URL for opv adjustment?

Sorry to bug; I have searched using every keyword I could think of, but can't find it!

Thanks
Dan
michaelgo

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 10:39am

Here you go:

OPV Adjustment Video
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 11:57am

Park_Ridge_Dave Said:

Here I am investigating the possiblity of a "failed/defective" OPV

Seems likely to me.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
danioro
danioro

Espresso: Breville BDB, Gaggia coffee...
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 10:42am

OK
So I viewed the OPV adjustment video and being a mere physician, I decided to undertake this easy 15 minute job.
A couple of things.
Do not drop the nylon locking sleeve into the machine innards.
Particularly do not drop the sleeve into the innards a second time.

At this point, the gods in question grow tired of the useless human and the sleeve enters a parallel universe, never to be seen again.

Really.

Do you think that I may have voided my warranty??

LMAO!
Dan
AlexKilpatrick

Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 10:50am

I had the same problem.  Impossible to hold onto the sleeve while you are unscrewing.  However, if you ever had to send it back, I don't think it would be too hard to find a replacement sleeve.

Can anyone tell me what the recommended pressure is?  With a blind basket, I get 11, and my shots are usually just above the top end of the recommended pressure range.  I thought about adjusting it, but I don't know if it would make a difference.  I've heard pressure isn't a significant factor in the shot quality, as long as it is high enough.
showing page 177 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.445453882217)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+