Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New Machine Advice -- Lelit PL4TEM V2 vs Quick Mill Silvano
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Machine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
888RP

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Cuadra
Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 4:17pm
Subject: Re: New Machine Advice -- Lelit PL4TEM V2 vs Quick Mill Silvano

Right, but let's say i'm making 2 milk drinks -- the quality of the foam i can produce from a cuadra steam would be pretty similar to the Silvano? Basically i'm trying to figure out if their is a deviation in quality and performance from the very beginning (making 1 or 2 drinks) or wheather you would only notice a divergence in performance when you're making say 4-6 drinks.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 4:48pm

As my espresso has gotten better my intake and entertaining has increased.  If for the same money you can get machine with more steam power it will give you more room to grow before you start wanting an upgrade.  For that reason I would an HX over a single boiler at the same $$-  room to grow.  This is not a slam on single boilers but you stated you wanted steam power.  I think at the budget you have stated you should be looking at your future needs not just to get by right now.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
biochemgawd

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: BDB
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 4:53pm

I agree with the previous poster - get the Lelit or jump up to an HX machine - buy the Nuova Era from 1st Line (As a canadian, I purchased a Silvia from 1st Line with no problems!)

You likely won't notice any major difference in the steam quality between any of these machines - but you will notice the speed and consistency of the HX over the Lelit when making multiple drinks.
888RP

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 4:55pm

biochemgawd -- how did 1st line handle shipping/duties?? I'm very interested because i would totally order the cuadra from them
biochemgawd

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 5:03pm

888RP Said:

biochemgawd -- how did 1st line handle shipping/duties?? I'm very interested because i would totally order the cuadra from them

Posted March 5, 2013 link

1st Line can't do anything directly about the duties, but you want to make sure they ship by USPS Priority (International) - you will pay HST at the border but you won't get killed by handling fees (UPS charges at least $50 for brokerage). It will be delivered by Purolator (USPS uses them on the Canadian side).

You may also have to pay a 9% duty. I find it is hit-and-miss whether it is applied.
888RP

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 5:05pm

ah okay. i don't want to bother you too much but where did you find info as to how to manage the process? did you engage 1st and say you wanted a machine, they gave you a shipping fee usps and then how did you go about settling hst at the border etc.?
biochemgawd

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 5:07pm

No effort for you. Just call 1st Line and order the machine. Get them to ship by USPS Priority. USPS will take care of the brokerage at the border and you will have to pay the fees to receive the package when it arrives.

Total cost to you will be ~ $995 + 13% HST + 9% duty = 1213.90 + shipping. You can decide whether that dampens your excitement ;-) The joys of being Canadian.

EDITED to fix the HST rate
888RP

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 5:08pm

do the fees just consist of the HST?
biochemgawd

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 5:11pm

see my previous edited posts.
888RP

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 5:13pm

thats super helpful. Thanks! and with H/X machines - do you not have to worry about pids with those?
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Machine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.385707855225)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+