Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New Machine Advice -- Lelit PL4TEM V2 vs Quick Mill Silvano
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Machine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
888RP

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Cuadra
Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 12:15pm
Subject: New Machine Advice -- Lelit PL4TEM V2 vs Quick Mill Silvano

First and foremost, This community is a fantastic resource for people looking to get into Coffee so above all -- Thank you all for building such a strong and valuable community!

Now, On to my dillemma. I'm buying a new machine, I had my heart set on a Silvia+pid and Rocky machine. After researching on this forum, i very much am reconsidering. Based on my research the grinder i'm going with is the Baratza Vario. The machine --- now that's where the indecision comes in. I was initially thinking of the Crossland CC1 but I'm not a fan of how it will look on my countertop so that's off the list. The two others are the Lelit PL4TEM V2 Espresso Machine w/ PID or the Quick Mill Silvano (i'm still very open to other suggestions).

My main question is this: The Quick Mill is $1100 (CAD) vs the Lelit which is $650 CAD. What are you thoughts on this? Is the Quick Mill Silvano worth the money over the Lelit? I don't want to end up in a similar situation as I was in with the Silvia (where the machine is overvalued relative to features). I've included answers to the standard questions below.

Standard Questions:
1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's capabilities.)
    Lattes, capuccinnos, americanos. Would like a machine powerful enough to produce good microfoam

2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at ay one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)
    90% of the time i'd say 2 drinks at any one time. the other 10% -- 3 or 4.

3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)
    6-8 per week

4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pourover machine with its own reservoir?
     no -- need a reservoir

5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
    15-amp i believe -- i live in a standard Condo building in Toronto

6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?

$1500 CAD - including Grinder

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and insights.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 12:37pm
Subject: Re: New Machine Advice -- Lelit PL4TEM V2 vs Quick Mill Silvano

Both machines are nice and both will make microfoam.  However they are both single boilers and that will get old fast if you are making a lot of milk drinks.  Have you considered a low end HX like La Nuova Era or used Oscar?  Not sure how much this is in Canadian money but I personally wanted the machine to be waiting on me to make drinks rather than the other way around.  If you are just pulling shots I would recommend a single boiler but it seems you want steam power so I would look at moving up to HX.  I am not sorry that I skipped single boilers and started with HX.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
888RP

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 12:50pm

Thanks for your time/reply! Unfortunately those machines + grinder are outside of my budget. I think given my budget i'm limited to single boilers -- and I'm honestly okay with that given that most of the time i'm going to be making two drinks at a time max and both me and my partner take little milk so i can heat milk for both of us together.

I chose the Silvia vs. the Lelit based on the this forum so i'm confident that both machines are good... My question more specifically is -- do you think the Quickmill Silvia is worth the extra money over the Lelit? and if that's too subjective -- then why do you think the machines are priced differently -- what makes the Silvia worth more than the Lelit?

Thanks!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 12:56pm

QM has more prestige and so partly you are paying for the name.  I would look at boiler size, metal and construction.   The QM is the same price in the US as the La Nuova Era I linked.  That is why I suggested it.  Used Oscar goes for 500 US.

Coffeenoobie

888RP

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 1:02pm

that's really strange... i only found one distributor for the La Nuova (faema.ca) and they're at like $1700 -- where as the Quick mill from idrinkcoffee.ca is $1100. If i could find the La Nuova for the same price as the QM i'd take it in a heart beat! it's a gorgeous machine :-)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 1:47pm

Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

no idea about CA

Coffeenoobie

888RP

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 3:36pm

Thanks Coffeenoobie!

Any other insights from other members would be greatly appreciated -- especially insights into the two machines i was referring to in the original post.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 3:47pm

Silvano has a larger boiler and a separate thermoblock for steaming like the CC1, the main difference being it has a separate pump for it so you can steam and brew at the same time. The Le'Lit is cool, but it will still be a sbdu, the thermoblock on the CC1 and Silvano is a good piece and makes strong controlled steam and much quicker for making milk drinks especially if you doing it back to back for guest etc. SG did a cool test and the CC1 was only like a min or two behind the Oscar making like 5 milk drinks I think? Impressive, the Silvano would be quicker than the CC1. For comparison the Silvia was like another 7 minutes behind or something like that, that thermoblock cuts off huge time for single boiler machines.

I agree on the CC1, def a love it or not look, I wasn't sure at first but ended up loving how it looked a bit unique vs others in it's class, and the black/stainless match my kitchen. Silvano looks sharp and clean too and great fit/finish. I actually bought my CC1 from Canada lol. Yeh you could check with 1st Line, I have no clue what entails importing into Canada though or if it would even be allowed? But if you can get the Cudra for about 1k then that's a killer deal.

If you consider used, you could look at the for sale section on here, or Craigslist etc, could snatch a good deal for a nice machine.
888RP

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 3:54pm

CMIN -- that was extremely helpful advice. In terms of quality of espresso shot and quality of frothed milk would you say CC1 = Silvano = Cudra? or would you have a different rank ordering? If the consensus is that Silvano and Cudra are comparable in terms of quality -- and the main difference is that the Cudra is just faster than the Silvano than i think i could live with that... If the cudra is pulling better shots... than perhaps a trip to buffalo is in order ;-)
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 4:09pm

Hard to say, shots on mine, a Breville DB, a Giotto and Anita all taste similar to me. Big difference is with fast repeatability and steaming power in the more expensive machines (along with looks, quality etc). Never used a Cuadra but others have if you search on here, Silvano is great but if your going to be making a lot of milk drinks especially if you have people over you'll pry want the power and speed of an h/x. But yeh I would rank them like that, CC1 has the thermo for steaming but no seperate pump, Silvano has the extra pump to brew/steam same time or right after you brew a shot etc, and an h/x is obviously just going to kick ass either way lol
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Machine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.407592058182)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+