Espresso: Espresso Machines
New Machine Advice -- Lelit PL4TEM V2 vs Quick Mill Silvano
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Machine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
biochemgawd

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 5:14pm
Subject: Re: New Machine Advice -- Lelit PL4TEM V2 vs Quick Mill Silvano

at this point, I would advise you to slowly back away from the forum ;-)

(and do a search!).
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 5:16pm

Do a search for how I learned to love my HX.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Winnisk

Espresso: Silvano
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 7:24pm

The Silvano is not a single boiler dual use machine like the Lelit. In addition to the boiler used for espresso, you are paying extra for the thermoblock and the second pump on the Silvano. This is what allows you to pull shots and steam at the same time, as well as not having to wait for a shared boiler to either heat up or cool down before you froth away or pull your shot. There are other differences but that is the main one.

I have a Silvano / Vario combination and I love it. I can't really say what is best for you, but I can say that you will have no problem making 2 milk drinks back to back with no waiting. For that matter, for those other times when you need 4 or more you also won't have a problem. After creating microfoam for one drink, the Silvano takes about 20-30 seconds before it is ready to steam again. It takes me longer than that to set up my next shot. I have never had to wait on it to be ready to froth milk. Eight back to back at Christmas was not a problem.

I do, however, want to stress that I am making drinks one at a time. The Silvano has no trouble frothing one drink at a time or doing single drinks back to back, but if you needed to steam multiple drinks in a large pitcher at one time, if you like big 16 oz + milk drinks, or if you see yourself needing to pump out numerous drinks on a regular basis, I would suggest looking at something else.

Personally, I like having the PID and pressure gauge. The PID helps to precisely manage the temperature so that creating consistent, repeatable shots and experimenting with different temperatures with different blends is relatively easy. While you are getting more steam power with an HX, there are other features that the Silvano has that might also give you room to grow before upgrading compared to a similarly priced HX. It is a tradeoff. If you need the extra steam power, or think you might down the road, go for it. If you don't see yourself needing the steam power, spend your money on other features - IMHO.

I am also in the Toronto area and would suggest that, if you don't go for the Cuadra, you take a drive to iDrinkCoffee in Milton and/or Espresso Planet in Mississauga. There you can better compare and test out the machines. iDrinkCoffee sells both the Lelit and Silvano. As well, if you think that something like the Oscar would better suit your needs, they have it on sale right now along with a Vario for $1599. Espresso Planet gave me a 10% discount when I bought the Silvano and Vario together, bringing it to a little over $1400 before tax. In addition to being able to physically compare the machines, I like knowing that if I need service, they are not too far away. I had to take my Vario in and they swapped it out on the spot. If you go the cross border route I would definitely try and find out in advance what any kind of service/warranty work would entail.
jwark
jwark
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Le'Lit PL041TQE
Grinder: Le'Lit PL53
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 9:07pm

I have a lelit so I can tell you about them but not if it's better. Pretty much everyone will say an HX machine is better so I don't see how it wouldn't be.

I've had my lelit for a few months. Mine has a pid but that not gauge that the PL4TEM has. Seems like $650.00 is a great deal for it. You'll get your money's worth. Mine has been going strong for around 3 months now. It makes great espresso and foam. Not being able to pull shots and steam milk at the same time doesn't really bother me at all.

I think you'll be happy with a lelit but may suffer from upgraditis. I love my lelit but have been shopping for an HX machine because I want to experience the awesomeness. Plus, they look cooler.

“It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.”  - Jack Handy
888RP

Espresso: Cuadra
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 5:50am

Thanks guys, the info about the Silvano and Lelit machine is really helpful... I guess the decision has evolved into Silvano vs. Cuadra... they both look gorgeous but is HX a lot better than thermoblock or are the two technologies pretty comparable? (if this is readily available info than apologies in advance and assume i've proceeded to use the search function)
Winnisk

Espresso: Silvano
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 8:26am

An HX is definitely going to steam better than the Silvano. I don't think that that makes all HX machines necessarily better than the Silvano. "Better" in my opinion would be based on needs/wants in relation to price. Entry level HX machines like the Oscar would be better if you wanted steam power and/or toughness that would let you work it in a small cafe setting. The Silvano might be better for someone wanting PID, pressure gauge (and ability to change pressure without opening the machine, and (dare I say) aesthetics.

Now, in terms of comparing the Cuadra to the Silvano, I think most would agree the Cuadra is a better buy at $995. That really is a killer deal! In this case it is not just the HX you are getting, but the famed E61 group head, hot water capabilities, no burn steam wand, etc. For the $1700 Canadian price, you have to then decide if these features are $600 better/worth it in terms of your needs/wants.

If I was in the US, I would opt for the Cuadra over the Silvano. I wouldn't think twice. Being in Canada, I would find out exactly how much the Cuadra will cost to get to your door. Biochemgawd gave you a good start. Now try and find out how much the shipping will be. Make sure that you also look into what the cross border brokerage fee will be (UPS will likely charge this in addition to shipping). Like I said, I would also find out what any warranty work would entail. Would you have to ship it back to the States? What fees would that involve, etc.

So, in my mind, easy answer is that the Cuadra at $995 is a better deal than the Silvano. Tougher answer in your shoes: is it still going to be worth it once duty, shipping, brokerage, warranty considerations, etc are factored in. It sounds to me like it is definitely worth investigating!

It would be great to know what you find out. Good luck!
888RP

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 8:31am

Thanks guys.. An update: I just got off the phone with a sales rep from 1st line... Turns out that they don't ship to Canada. Which is also the policy on their website. So getting it from them may be out of the question.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 8:34am

Keep looking, you might be able to find a vendor in Canada.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
biochemgawd

Espresso: BDB
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 12:29pm

sorry about that - I must have had a friend ship it for me. This was 10 years ago (wow time flies).

FYI never ship UPS cross-border - they kill you with added brokerage fees.
888RP

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 1:47pm

update: i found a retailer thag will import this machine for me for $1300.
The retailer will not provide a warranty but I know another place close by that can repair cuadra"s but it will be out of pocket. Do you think I should buy a quick mill silvano for 1100 with 2 years parts and labour or
Should I pay 1300 for a cuadra and pay for any repairs out of pocket?? -- do these things break down a lot in the first 2 years/are repairs usually quite costly? I'm trying to quantify the benefit for parts and labour for 2 years.

Oh there is a third option now as well - another retailer is selling the cuadra for $1450 and one year parts/labour.

Advice?
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Machine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.369732141495)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+