Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New Machine Advice -- Lelit PL4TEM V2 vs Quick Mill Silvano
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
 
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Machine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
EricBNC
Senior Member
EricBNC
Joined: 22 Jun 2010
Posts: 1,866
Location: North Carolina
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 2:32pm
Subject: Re: New Machine Advice -- Lelit PL4TEM V2 vs Quick Mill Silvano
 

888RP Said:

First and foremost, This community is a fantastic resource for people looking to get into Coffee so above all -- Thank you all for building such a strong and valuable community!

Now, On to my dillemma. I'm buying a new machine, I had my heart set on a Silvia+pid and Rocky machine. After researching on this forum, i very much am reconsidering. Based on my research the grinder i'm going with is the Baratza Vario. The machine --- now that's where the indecision comes in. I was initially thinking of the Crossland CC1 but I'm not a fan of how it will look on my countertop so that's off the list. The two others are the Lelit PL4TEM V2 Espresso Machine w/ PID or the Quick Mill Silvano (i'm still very open to other suggestions).

My main question is this: The Quick Mill is $1100 (CAD) vs the Lelit which is $650 CAD. What are you thoughts on this? Is the Quick Mill Silvano worth the money over the Lelit? I don't want to end up in a similar situation as I was in with the Silvia (where the machine is overvalued relative to features). I've included answers to the standard questions below.

Standard Questions:
1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's capabilities.)
    Lattes, capuccinnos, americanos. Would like a machine powerful enough to produce good microfoam

2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at ay one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)
    90% of the time i'd say 2 drinks at any one time. the other 10% -- 3 or 4.

3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)
    6-8 per week
     
4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pourover machine with its own reservoir?
     no -- need a reservoir

5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
    15-amp i believe -- i live in a standard Condo building in Toronto

6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?

     $1500 CAD - including Grinder

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and insights.

Posted March 5, 2013 link

The Silvano matches your usage nicely. The other machines you are considering now will as well. Someone suggested a vendor who has these machines available to touch in your area - going there to see them in person is great advice. They might even have some discounted machines that will fit your needs too that you have not considered yet.

 
I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
back to top
 View Profile Link to this post
fredk01
Senior Member


Joined: 20 Feb 2012
Posts: 136
Location: Canada
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 3:15pm
Subject: Re: New Machine Advice -- Lelit PL4TEM V2 vs Quick Mill Silvano
 

888RP Said:

update: i found a retailer thag will import this machine for me for $1300.
...

Oh there is a third option now as well - another retailer is selling the cuadra for $1450 and one year parts/labour.

Advice?

Posted March 6, 2013 link

Ah, the wonders of price creep.  As a fellow noob trying to sort all this "what should I buy" stuff, I'll give you my nickles worth with the caveat that I have not used any of the machines discussed.

I think the most important part of this thread is from the first page.

2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at ay one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)
   90% of the time i'd say 2 drinks at any one time. the other 10% -- 3 or 4.

3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)
   6-8 per week

You are going to be a very light user of whatever machine you buy.  You are not going to be pulling many shots in a row.  You don't need a commercial machine that can pull shots all day long.  You don't need a steam monster.

All you need is a machine that will let you pull a couple of drinks and steam milk for them.

So given what you need, how much do you want to spend?  For your use, I think the Crossland CC1 will work just fine.  It gives you great temperature stability, some nice features like pre-infusion and timed shots that will let you play and experiment in a controlled way.  It will steam quite nicely for your level of use.  In Canada it costs $700.

Not comfortable with a machine that is relatively new to the market?  You could move up to the Quick Mill Silvano at $1,100 with similar features.  It has been in the market a little longer than the CC1, but both seem to have a good rep so far.

From there, well how much do you want to spend?

You could always look at the used market.  There was a Quick Mill Anita in TO for $1,100 that included all the accessories you need to get started.  If you are not in a hurry, other deals will come up.
back to top
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Machine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.355740070343)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+