Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
How does temperature affect shot flow?
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > How does...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 4:59am
Subject: Re: How does temperature affect shot flow?

I have some time and plenty of beans today, I will pull some hot PF shots and some cold ones. I will be surprised if it has any change on extraction time, I don't disagree that the grinds could be expanding in a hot PF but it can't compare to the expansion when hot water hits the puck.

I think a question that keeps running around my head is, how much does a cold PF lower the group temp? I do not think it is going to large but if it translates into 1-5f change that will change the bitter/sour flavors.

The things I can say with certainty that effect shot flow are bean age of fresh beans, grind, dose, and shot prep consistency. While environment changes may have an effect they have never been enough in my climate controlled home to play much havec. I do not sweat a few second differences unless it happens on multiple shots to rule out shot prep otherwise the grind adjustment chase is on if the problem was prep. Been doing this for many years of 4-20 shots a day, I still have about every 5th shot effected by prep minorlly.

Edit. I make grinder adjustments for same bean on a daily routine as the bean ages, I also may be making dose and grind adjustments to acomodate a bean as it ages and changes flavor. I do not have a setting for a particular bean rather a range of 4-6 clicks unless I make a drastic change which can be even more micro clicks.
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 6:59am

Had a chance to pull a couple of shots. I have a DB and I am confident it is stable in temp from shot to shot. I have brew boiler set at 200f. Same beans being used on a full hopper of a Vario-W, hopper topped off from 1st shot to second shot. Machine has been on for 4:45 hours.

1st shot PF in for 1 hr idle, 23.5 g of beans double checked with a 100th of a gram scale ( .03g is a very small amount of grind but was removed so both shots weighted 23.5g exactly), pull was 36sec for 3oz of extraction.

2nd shot room temp PF (keep my house at 72f), 23.5g of beans, pull was 34.5 sec for 3oz of extraction.

2 HQ triple rlidgless baskets where used, a more exact test could be done using the same basket. I tasted the 1st shot from the warm PF but forgot to taste the cold PF shot before dumping it in my 6oz cappuccino which taste fantastic. While one test may not prove much it I am no longer going to test for extraction times being different ( I never thought they would be) but want to check for bitter/sour from a cold vs hot PF. A 1-2 sec diff from consecutive shot pulls I chalk up to basket prep and don't think it is out of the ordinary unless AndyS was having a shot at my house, lol, then I would do everything in my power to prep the baskets with the most anal detail.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 10:11am

Yesterday I did naked with and without being in the group to preheat.  They did not flow differently there are some slight taste differences but not out of the norm of my 2 morning shots.  Since I am not perfect I can't ever get perfect shots and I have variations from shot to shot.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 3:58am

Provided that there is a difference in flow at all between pre-heated and cold, I'd expect it to be even less with a bottomless PF, because the espresso doesn't even come into contact with its metal.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 4:06am

NobbyR Said:

Provided that there is a difference in flow at all between pre-heated and cold, I'd expect it to be even less with a bottomless PF, because the espresso doesn't even come into contact with its metal.

Posted March 6, 2013 link

Today my machine goes off for a few hours, when the cleaner have left I will pull a shot on a completely cold machine, looking forward to seeing if temp has anything to do with shot flow.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 5:04am

Ok maybe I am being dumb here but is anyone here espousing pulling shots through a cold PF? This notion hurts my brain if true.

Is it true that al German people listen to Techno music?

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 5:27am

jwoodyu Said:

Ok maybe I am being dumb here but is anyone here espousing pulling shots through a cold PF? This notion hurts my brain if true.

Yup and yup.

Only doing cold PF to test if it effects flow, so far my answer is no.

I resisted Techno for a very long time, now I just can't help my self.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 6:16am

jwoodyu Said:

Thank God no! We all listen to Volksmusik. ;-)

But is it true that all American people only listen to Country music?!? :-P

germantownrob Said:

I resisted Techno for a very long time, now I just can't help my self.

You've got to be strong! An occasional polka dance will help. LOL

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 12:17pm

I stayed strong, my 1year old started rocking out some techno and it was all over for me. Lol.

Ok here it is, drum roll please.

23.3g dose on cold machine (brew boiler was 112f), cold PF ( room temp), 25sec. I was surprised at the taste, under extracted but not bad, would put it on ice for a super quick shot off a cold machine but I would grind finer to get more extraction time.

23.3g dose on machine warmed up for over an hour with PF in entire time, 25sec. Tasty.

Anything else? I do requests. Something I advice against is trying to drink espresso hanging like a bat on an inversion table. I have said it before but feel the need to repeat myself, do not make espresso naked, sure you can go trouble free many times but it is that one time you will always remember.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 2:48am

germantownrob Said:

I stayed strong, my 1year old started rocking out some techno and it was all over for me. Lol.

Well, children make us do the strangest things...

showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > How does...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.468327045441)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+