Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need Help with Saeco Vienna Plus - First Time User!!
Jebana from Ethiopia
Ultra Low Tech, for the CoffeeGeek with everything. Beautiful, and Functional too.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need Help with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
inopethflames

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 2:15pm
Subject: Need Help with Saeco Vienna Plus - First Time User!!

i just got a saeco vienna plus today, i had a couple questions.

1. to set the grind for espresso it should be on around 5 correct, the instructions say to not change this setting except during grinding i think, so that means it will take a few cups before its actually espresso rather than coffee right, due to the grind being a little too coarse at first?

2. to make a standard shot of espresso, on the front of the machine there is a dial for larger or smaller amounts of coffee to be made, should that always be at the lowest setting if i want espresso, or if i move it up higher will it just make larger amounts of espresso.  would the lowest setting be the equivalent of one shot of espresso?  or does the grind setting completely determine what type of coffee will be made, like setting it on 5 will just only make espresso no matter if i turn the amount of coffee to be made to the biggest setting, and if i have the grind setting to 15 it will only make regular coffee no matter the size of glass i tell it to make.

3.  do i just fill the bean hopper full and just put more in when its empty?  i mean if say i just wanna make 2 shots of espresso, the machine will only grind the correct amount for those 2 shots & not grind any additional & waste it, or something like that.  since i havent used this yet i dont know like how many shots of espresso 1 lb of beans would make, does anyone know?

4.  in the bean hopper there is a dial for using more or less coffee per cup, for making espresso should it be turned to a higher amount? or its set on medium to start with, is that ok?

5.  how often do the components need to be cleaned, the instructions say the pannarello wand should be cleaned after every use, but how often should the entire wand be taken off & cleaned, not just the removable bottom section.

thanks!!
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 3:51pm
Subject: Re: Need Help with Saeco Vienna Plus - First Time User!!

Always adjust grinders while running if you're moving it to a finer setting. This prevents getting too large particles caught between burrs and overworking the motor and should also prevent mashing burrs together.

1# = 454g Figure on 14-18g for a double shot your talking about 25-30 doubles from a pound. I typically put about 1/3 of that in my hopper at a time, but it depends on your use.

The larger settings on your dials are for double shots, while the smaller settings are for singles.

You'll have to play around with things to get everything adjust how you like. You probably have pressurized baskets, which I'd recommend converting to non-pressurized for better espresso. If you do that, you'll be able to take advantage of all the beans have to offer. Read the Easy Guie to Better Espresso at Home on www.espressomyespresso.com (article 12, under how to)

Sorry I don't know much about cleaning panarellos. See if 1st-line.com has any cleaning guides for your machine or similar

Good luck! Ask more questions.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 4:20pm

doubt you will find much/any info or help on superautos on this forum. I own 2 supers among many other machines but not the one you have. many here frown apon them or never owned one so cant help,but I'll give it a shot.

1. make sure you only change the burr settings finer while grinder is moving, should only take 1 dose to ajust.

2.  not sure if the lowest setting is 1.5oz you'll need to measure amount or use a shot glass,pick the closest setting that gives you 1.5 to 2 oz, grind will determine shot flow and taste not type of drink made with superautos.
    what I do on my super autos is ajust grind dose to max wich on many supers it's only 9grams. even with a 9 gram dose and 1.5oz water you will only get a espresso LIKE shot  not reallly espresso,Taste more kin to using a pressurised portafilter.

3. machine will only grind per shot,  if you press a double shot machine grinds and tamps twice. best practice is to keep beans in your hopper, if your hopper runs out when it calls for beans grinder will still run a while and wear the burrs.

4. best for espresso to max dose, you'll get closer to the flavor and texture of a real espresso, but I would still try at med so you know how weak it will make it. med is prob 5g max is prob 9g

5. make sure you wipe wand after every use if steaming milk, also flush some steam thru the wand after wiping off. I remove every thing from the wand every time I descale but it's a PTA so you might want to do it less. dont think it's required to remove everything. if your brew group is removable, rinse and grease it every week or so,it will help clear stale coffee and improve brewgroup failure rate. group will fail from time to time from grounds buildup.

like I said I dont own this particular machine but these steps should be the same for most supers. Good luck and have fun. one other thing make sure to use fresh beans,it will raise your enjoyment level.
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 4:28pm

emradguy Said:

Always adjust grinders while running if you're moving it to a finer setting. This prevents getting too large particles caught between burrs and overworking the motor and should also prevent mashing burrs together.

1# = 454g Figure on 14-18g for a double shot your talking about 25-30 doubles from a pound. I typically put about 1/3 of that in my hopper at a time, but it depends on your use.

The larger settings on your dials are for double shots, while the smaller settings are for singles.

You'll have to play around with things to get everything adjust how you like. You probably have pressurized baskets, which I'd recommend converting to non-pressurized for better espresso. If you do that, you'll be able to take advantage of all the beans have to offer. Read the Easy Guie to Better Espresso at Home on www.espressomyespresso.com (article 12, under how to)

Sorry I don't know much about cleaning panarellos. See if 1st-line.com has any cleaning guides for your machine or similar

Good luck! Ask more questions.

Posted March 8, 2013 link

I think this machine is a super auto  so settings on dials are for water amount I think. no baskets either
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 4:39pm

Yeah, I guess I should have looked it up first.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
inopethflames

Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 4:42pm

thanks for the help

1.  so to adjust the grind setting correctly, does it mean the machine just has to be turned on?  or are you only supposed to adjust it after u press the brew button and it begins to grind before producing the coffee.  i dont wanna wear it down or mess it up at all.

2.  does it matter if i move it from 12 or whatever the default is, to 5 right away?  or should i move it from 12 to 8, then to 5.  

3.  i think the amount setting dial on the front goes from .5 oz to 8 oz.  so this just means it will add more water to the serving right, and the dose adjuster in the bean hopper determines the amount of coffee beans that are used.  so if i wanted to make an espresso shot i would want the dose adjusted probably max or close to it and for the total liquid produced to be 1.5 oz?  is the standard amount for 1 shot 1.5 oz, or 2 oz, or 1 oz?

thanks again!!
kboom1
kboom1

Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 5:23pm

your welcome, ajust after pressing the brew button, grinder needs to be moving. move grind ajustment kind of slow try not to force it you'll feel the resistance as you ajust finer,avoid going to 0 on the grind as it will wear burrs, try 2-5. on the doser you should be fine just moving to max as it opens the doser or shute more. best to use a shot glass to measure shot. standard espresso is 1.5oz
inopethflames

Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013, 4:14pm

i used it a few times & made a few shots, it worked ok but a couple times the red light would come on and the process would stop, it says the light comes on red when its out of water or no beans, but both were full, is this just something that maybe happens when the grind setting is initially changed.  once i hit brew again and it just started working normally again, & once i just turned it off & back on then it worked fine, but hopefully its not going to get a red light every few shots or something, or is that just a normal occurrence on a lower end super-automatic.  if its normal i dont care that much if it happens once in a while but i dont want to have messed it up somehow.  

also what components should be cleaned daily, i know the wand should be wiped/blown out after every use, but does that area with the discarded ground beans need to be cleaned everyday, or dumped out, & anything else have a daily clean, i know the drip tray also.  thanks.
inopethflames

Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 4:54pm

ive made like 10-12 espresso shots with this, and basically half the time after i press the brew coffee button, the red light comes on & i basically have to just turn off the machine & try it again.  the water & bean hopper is full so i dunno why this is happening.  anyone have any suggestions.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 5:05pm

This will sound rude but I don't mean it that way.  My suggestion is to return while still in warranty.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need Help with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.521264076233)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+