Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
First Espresso Machine ~ $700 Budget
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > First Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
ShadySkins

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 12:04pm
Subject: Re: First Espresso Machine ~ $700 Budget

emradguy Said:

that's just WRONG!  Seems like it ought to be the other way around (owe less because she was unemployed). f'ing gov't kicking you when you're down!

Ah, but I digress.  I like your decision of going with a Gaggia and doing both PID and Silvia wand mod.  I think this is a better option than just putting a PID on a Silvia.

Posted March 14, 2013 link

I was expecting it.... we opted to have Federal tax taken from the unemployment check (optional), but the tax rate was much lower than our combined tax rate when Married Filing Jointly - so we owed more taxes on the unemployment funds.
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 12:06pm

ShadySkins Said:

Can you link me to this PID so that I can check prices, etc.?

http://www.auberins.com/

Look under kits and then for Gaggia.  I do not think preinfusion is worth it for Gaggia, but like brew temperature +steam.

Or, DIY for about $100, perhaps less, for brew and steam uning Gaggia items, not the kit.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 2:07pm

D4F Said:

http://www.auberins.com/

Look under kits and then for Gaggia.  I do not think preinfusion is worth it for Gaggia, but like brew temperature +steam.

Or, DIY for about $100, perhaps less, for brew and steam uning Gaggia items, not the kit.

I had the Auber kit with preinfusion, timed brewing and steam control on my Classic (now with my brother).  I don't think the preinfusion or timed brewing was particularly useful to me - I prefer to cut my shots off on blonding, but the steam control on the alarm function was good.
Calendar

Espresso: Gaggia Classic/PID
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 5:56pm

ShadySkins Said:

Can you link me to this PID so that I can check prices, etc.?

Thanks,
Chris

Here ya go - Click Here (www.auberins.com)

This unit doesn't have the pre-infustion option, which as already stated, doesn't seem useful.  Their recommended temp setting on the PID is low, imho.  I have mine set to 224F for the best taste.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ShadySkins

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 5:45am

I just ordered my Gaggia Classic, Silvia Wand and bottomless portafilter from WholeLatteLove.

I will be getting the PID next paycheck.

Thanks for the input everyone.
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > First Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.391091108322)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+