Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need Help with Saeco Vienna Plus - First Time User!!
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need Help with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
inopethflames

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 8:59pm
Subject: Re: Need Help with Saeco Vienna Plus - First Time User!!

Well I'll be calling the helpline tomorrow, it's happening every time I try to use it so its probably either messed up from the start or after 5 uses the grinder is clogged.  It's pretty annoying considering the cost.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 10:39am

This is one of the problems with super autos.  A lot to go wrong and hard for the user to fix.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 11:22am

is this a new or a refurb. sounds like you have a grounding issue or old coffee grounds got on one of the sensors. I'd send it back under warrenty or repair. like was said one of the bad problems with superautos is they arent too user servicable. some of the earlier ones you could service the grinder and/or brew group. I have taken apart and serviced my gaggia titanium several times but to find any info is to no avail. you can find free schematics on most at parts guru if you want to try and locate the grounding points.
inopethflames

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 1:03am

well i think i figured out the problem, i think it probably takes a few uses to get 'warmed up', but i saw today that the beans were almost empty in the hopper, and i noticed that the actual area where the hole is that the beans go through is farther down in a depression than you might notice at first, and so i think the first 5-8 times i used the machine there wasnt enough beans getting into the grinder, they were staying up too much on the top & side area of the hopper.  then after i filled it up more and they slide down into that area, the past 3 days its worked fine & i havent gotten a red light at all.

so i think that was probably the issue & now ill know to pour the beans in more so they go down in the lower-ish area.  im glad i figured out the problem since i probably wouldve had to pay for return shipping in an exchange & that woulda probably cost like $25+.  

so i had a question about a drink:  i have the grinder set to 5 or so, i dont wanna change it to like 12 or 16 or whatever to make just actual coffee, so if i have the grind set at 5 and set the water to make an 8 oz glass, is that drink called anything, or would that just basically be a regular cup of coffee, or just a more watery espresso shot?  i did that once during my experimenting with settings trying to get the machine to work right, and it worked & it tasted fine with milk but i just wondered what that type of drink would be classified as.

thanks!!
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 6:07am

how oily are the beans your using? watch when using oily beans, they wont slide that good in your hopper. also make sure to wipe hopper down once a week. rancid coffee oil yuck.

the drink is basically a lungo.

Lungo is Italian for 'long', and refers to the coffee beverage made by using an espresso machine to make an espresso (single or double dose or shot) with much more water (generally twice as much), resulting in a stretched espresso, a lungo.

A normal espresso takes from 18 up to 30 seconds to pull, and fills 25 to 30 millilitres, while a lungo may take up to a minute to pull, and might fill 50 to 60 millilitres.

In French it is called café allongé.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need Help with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.351399898529)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+