Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gray water from boiler of HX descale (Cuadra)
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gray water from...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
scanfield

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 11:49am
Subject: Re: Gray water from boiler of HX descale (Cuadra)

1stline Said:

If you have the water softener attached, the carbon will probably not pass through the screen in the softener. With the GFI, we rule out that the heating element is damaged from a lack of water in the boiler.

Remove the water softener, and try adding some 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 tap water solution through the boiler. Remember, 4 oz of solution max through the water wand, let the pump refill, and then repeat. Then flush with tap water. Use tap and see if problem continues. If yes, another descaling should be performed. If not, the filtered water passing through the water softener may be too much and causing this problem.

Posted March 15, 2013 link

I just ran a 1/2 water + 1/2 vinegar solution through the machine. The water that I was flushing was blue colored which I believe is just a reaction between the acid and the copper boiler.

I ran all the solution through the machine, then loaded up some tap water (not-filtered). I started flushing that through the machine, then let it sit for 30 minutes while I did something else. I came back to the machine to resume flushing the tap water through and this time, I got more of the grey water coming out of the hot water wand.

It doesn't make sense to me that as long as I'm flushing, the water is clear, but after letting it sit for 30 minutes, grey water comes out. It's too late to start today, but as soon as I can, I'm going to go through a descale cycle (last time took me 7 or 8 hours).
 View Profile Link to this post
scanfield

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 10:49am

I've been using my machine for most of April (descaled the first weekend of April) without using much boiler water. I've been mostly drinking shots.

Today I went to make an Americano using the hot water tap and more of the nasty brown water came out. This time I shot a short video: http://youtu.be/FaSJd16tpvM

Have you ever seen anything like this? I'm a little freaked out. Since it's a heat exchanger, I'm ok with pulling shots, but I have no interest in using the steam or hot water right now.

Is this what the water would look like if the heating element is breaking down?
slybarman
slybarman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 12:58pm

scanfield Said:

I've been using my machine for most of April (descaled the first weekend of April) without using much boiler water. I've been mostly drinking shots.

Today I went to make an Americano using the hot water tap and more of the nasty brown water came out. This time I shot a short video: http://youtu.be/FaSJd16tpvM

Have you ever seen anything like this? I'm a little freaked out. Since it's a heat exchanger, I'm ok with pulling shots, but I have no interest in using the steam or hot water right now.

Is this what the water would look like if the heating element is breaking down?

Posted May 1, 2013 link

Yuck - knock on wood, never saw anything like that. I wouldn't use the steam either.
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gray water from...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.376444816589)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+