Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Deal finding and questions for an entry level setup in and around 700
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Deal finding and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Bostonontario
Bostonontario
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 11:55am
Subject: Deal finding and questions for an entry level setup in and around 700

Hello everyone,
I finally joined today after years of reading and visiting the website. Please be gentle on my third post.

I only really ever drink Aeropress and French press coffee unless I am out and about for an espresso at the local coffee shop (the stove top espresso's arent the same).   I believe its time for a machine and an upgrade from my Maestro Baratza grinder.

1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?
I plan on only brewing Espresso with the rare cap./latte for visitors.

2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at any one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)

1 or 2 in the morning

3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)

4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pour over machine with its own reservoir?

No, I need a reservoir

5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?

I have both in my kitchen 20 and 15 amp.

6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?"  
600-700 and lower than that in a perfect world and I will be selling my current Maestro grinder from 2009 to grab a Preciso

Side notes:

I spent a few hours in the BST forum, kijiji, craigslist, google, and ebay looking for a CC1 or Gaggia Classic and didnt have much luck finding a solid deal. Is it just me or are the deals rare on kijiji, craigslist, and ebay?

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 12:14pm
Subject: Re: Deal finding and questions for an entry level setup in and around 700

Hey there,

So the CC1 is a less than two year old product, so finding a used one on a local classified ads site or even eBay at this point is going to be a challenge. Gaggias tend to either hold their value or break. Anyone who bought a Gaggia was serious enough about espresso to make the purchase at some point and probably didn't receive it as a wedding gift (that distinction is reserved for Saeco and DeLonghi). As far as machines go, I would recommend the Lelit PL41 or other similar SBDU machine (Don't buy a Silvia new, they're not worth the money), or possibly a Gaggia Classic new. For your grinder, have you called Baratza to ask if you can trade yours in for credit toward a new or refurbished one? That's what I did, when I traded my Virtuoso in for a Vario-W. If you've treated your Maestro gently, they may take it for credit off the refurb price. It's iffy though, since the Maestro isn't a current model and 2009 is a while back at this point. Best of luck, and with your needs I'm sure you'll find something that fits them in your price range.
Bostonontario
Bostonontario

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 1:11pm
Subject: Re: Deal finding and questions for an entry level setup in and around 700

I have checked into the PL41 online and also have made contact with Colin at Baratza. I have never thought to ask for a trade in credit. Thats a good idea. Ill keep my fingers crossed
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 1:14pm

You are in Canada and it seems like it is a bit harder to find used there.  But I would still spend some time looking.  You might get lucky.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 1:27pm

Surprisingly my CC1 I bought used from Canada lol, I was going to buy one anyway but ended up talking to someone about it whom had an incoming Rocket machine so bought his CC1. Otherwise I've never seen another one for sale.
fredk01

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 6:58pm

You don't see many really good deals on used espresso machines in Canada.  Used Gaggias do come up on kijiji occasionally.  They seem to be a popular machine.  You'll see Saeco Aromas regularly.
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Posted Mon Mar 18, 2013, 6:46am

You can get a used Gaggia Classic for $200 (I recently did)
Get a Baratza Vario: $450 (I found mine for $370 as an incentive for using a subscription service)
Silvia Steam Wand: $25
Look into making your own PID: $50 to $150 (for kit)

Grand total minimum $725
Grand total Maximum $875

Best part is the grinder wont need to be upgraded anytime soon, if at all.

I had a similar problem on Ebay but so many pop up that it shouldn't take too long (just need to look for listing that end in the morning on weekdays). I wouldn't use craigslist unless you deal in front of like a police station.
Bostonontario
Bostonontario

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 3:07am

Thanks the tips thus far.
Is the vario that much of an upgrade from a preciso?
Bostonontario
Bostonontario

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 3:08am

Subscription service? Can you point me in that direction please? I'm a huge redflagdeals fan and wish that site posted more coffee equipment deals.
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 5:02am

The Vario is a vast improvement over the Preciso if you're serious about espresso. The Vario has planar (flat) ceramic Mahlkonig burrs, while the Preciso has conical burrs. They're both good, but the Vario gives a better espresso grind...HOWEVER...
I would recommend the Preciso unless you're willing to make the full leap to the Vario-W. The weight-based dosing spoiled me rotten.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Deal finding and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.422084093094)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+