Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Please read before you post New Machine buying question.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Please read...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 14 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:34am
Subject: Re: Please read before you post New Machine buying question.

Those are very serious accusations.  What would make it more inviting?

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DaninMaryland

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: V2 Silvia
Grinder: Vario-W
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:57am

Coffeenoobie Said:

Those are very serious accusations.  What would make it more inviting?

Posted March 19, 2013 link

first off the title, please read before asking a question.  simplest would be to not have these types of threads.  to me a forum should be about discussion and questions.  if certain people dont feel they should answer thier questions, then they should ignore the threads....creating a thread to eliminate new threads is not the answer.  i would think the site owners would agree, as advertisers are paying based on number of views, post, etc.

just think back to your firsts post on this forum when you were looking for a machine.  how would you feel if you posted a question, and all you got was "click this link".  people like to ask questions and get individual responses.  its what makes forums like this great
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 12:08pm

I did not post a what to buy post.  I read this site for months before I bought, changed my budget about 6 times as I figured out a lot of stuff. Then bought my Oscar then jointed then posted with an issue about usage.  My portafilter was leaking and needed a new gasket but I did not know that at the time.  

What I wrote boiled down at least a few weeks of reading and struggling to accept. I hope will make it easier for other people by being short and to the point and so they don't have to spend hours figuring out the basic set up. I see nothing wrong with the standard questions and the info about the grinder.   It makes it easier to help others by making sure they give us more info to comment on. "I want a machine" is not much to go on.

Coffeenoobie

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 12:18pm

Oh and I believe one of the direct results of spending so much time researching before I bought - I am still on the same machine and I will probably not upgrade till I win the lotto. (start of year 2)

Coffeenoobie

DaninMaryland

Espresso: V2 Silvia
Grinder: Vario-W
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 12:27pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

I did not post a what to buy post.  I read this site for months before I bought, changed my budget about 6 times as I figured out a lot of stuff. Then bought my Oscar then jointed then posted with an issue about usage.  My portafilter was leaking and needed a new gasket but I did not know that at the time.  

What I wrote boiled down at least a few weeks of reading and struggling to accept. I hope will make it easier for other people by being short and to the point and so they don't have to spend hours figuring out the basic set up. I see nothing wrong with the standard questions and the info about the grinder.   It makes it easier to help others by making sure they give us more info to comment on. "I want a machine" is not much to go on.

i would not say that is typical of most people posting a what to buy thread on here.  just put yourselves in thier shoes, and remember a lot of times the responses from that original post will be the first impression of this forum.  we can either encourage people to stay involved on this forum, or not come back.  these same people will be able (and willing) to provide info to others down the line looking for their first machine.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 12:35pm

I am doing that.  A short clear post condensing what I learned in a few paragraphs.  Yes, I know I am not typical. I am move web savy than many people and frankly very good at reading copious amounts of data and processing it to make a decision. Most people can't or will not do that.

However, it is typical to have "read this before you post" stickies at the top of the forum.  I have read many and do not consider it a hindrance to posting.  I am relieved to not look like a fool when I post my first post.

Coffeenoobie

BOTR

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 5:57am

See, I think we are all here for the same reasons. We all enjoy coffee, and want to learn all the ways it can be utilized. But I still stick to the notion that everyone, even new to coffee people should be able to just ask. If you tire of answering the same old questions day after day, then ignore. Im not trying to argue, no attitude intended, I just find this to be an off putting post. Also your comment in your last post kinda supports this. Doesn't really feel very welcoming. But hey, Im just some dude. lol

"Yes, I know I am not typical. I am move web savy than many people and frankly very good at reading copious amounts of data and processing it to make a decision. Most people can't or will not do that."
BOTR

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 6:24am

I did want to add though that the post was informative, and well thought out. It would be a nice reference for many of the questions asked here for sure. Kudos for that.
tinytot2

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 6:57am

Coffeenoobie Said:

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!... After you read this and answered your questions and IF you still want an espresso machine, you can post a new thread with your answers and ask for buying advice based on your needs and budget .

Posted March 12, 2013 link

Honestly, this line is very uninviting and intimidating to espresso newbies.  Obviously this wasn't your intent.

Coffeenoobie Said:

... However, it is typical to have "read this before you post" stickies at the top of the forum.  I have read many and do not consider it a hindrance to posting.  I am relieved to not look like a fool when I post my first post.

The "read before you post" stickies I've seen are generally about board rules and regulations.  I also don't think those newbie questions make people look like fools.  That line may be a little off-putting to some :(
Buckley

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 9:56am

A line that starts with 'Please...' and a text that starts with 'Welcome...' did not seem intimidating to me.
In light of recent comments, I reread the post but I could not get a sense of a fist inside of the velvet glove.

There is a LOT of information on this website.  Probably too much for most auditing readers.  That may be why, if you read this forum for a couple of months, most new auditors (better than 'lurkers', eh?) request that information be delivered to them - but it is the same questions over and over and over again.

When I first read this post, I was impressed by the kindness and the brevity with which a lot of basic, key information was delivered.  Upon rereading, there is nothing that changes my mind.  It would take a week of back-and-forth posts or many hours of effective searching (this search engine is not effective) for a new auditor to glean all of the essential information that is contained in this post.

One who newly enters any field of endeavor finds that the first part of the learning curve is to acquire the language of the field of endeavor.  Only in this way can one ask the questions that will move them along in amassing the knowledge that they want out of the study.  I find that this post provides the categories and associations that would enable someone like me to move from questions of wants and needs to questions of comparative functions and value (value to me, not $).

Of course some may disagree with my views on this, but I suggest to them: stay with this forum for six months (especially around Christmastime) and see  if you don't agree with me that this post is a compassionate service that is meant to raise the multitude of identical initial questors to a serviceable knowledge base that will allow them to quickly sort out their desires within the otherwise bewildering complexity of home barista choices.

This post also protects new and senior members.  If the patience of knowledgeable senior members wears thin after answering the same question several hundred times in a year, there will always be those senior wannabes to jump in and offer their unlearned opinions dressed up as expertise.  I have seen that frequently on this forum, and not only this forum.  It is human nature.  One quickly learns who is experienced here, or at least candid.  This post has been read by many names whom I recognize as experienced contributors.  They have not taken issue with anything in it but have instead been effusive in their appreciation of this thread.  This membership does not appear to me to be cliquish - rather, there are frequent well behaved disagreements among the membership.  There seems to be a learned support for this thread and I am happy to agree with them.

Buckley
showing page 5 of 14 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Please read...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.38259601593)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+