Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Please read before you post New Machine buying question.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Please read...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 14 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 11:06am
Subject: Re: Please read before you post New Machine buying question.

Thanks that was my intent.  To condense down the info and start people off on a good foot.  We have since seen people post having read this and posted with the questions and answered the grinder thing.  That is a WIN-WIN for the board.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tinytot2

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 11:12am

Coffeenoobie Said:

Thanks that was my intent.  To condense down the info and start people off on a good foot.  We have since seen people post having read this and posted with the questions and answered the grinder thing.  That is a WIN-WIN for the board.

Posted March 20, 2013 link

I really like the idea of the post, but rewritten without some of the excess commentary.  Some of it doesn't come across as friendly as intended.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 11:16am

I have reread it and I can't think of ways to make it more welcoming and still make it short and to the point. If I get constructive input I will use as I have already shown. I am ok with it being a collaborative effort.  I would have welcomed this info when I started.  People that don't do any research probably will not read it anyway.

Coffeenoobie

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 11:16am

What would you like to see cut??

Coffeenoobie

tinytot2

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 11:26am

Coffeenoobie Said:

What would you like to see cut??

Sorry, I'm on my mobile and am not a good typer on it!  

I'd ditch the first paragraph after "Welcome to CoffeeGeek" and start with "We get a lot of new threads..."
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 11:47am

If that is your only objection I can remove that.

Coffeenoobie

DaninMaryland

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: V2 Silvia
Grinder: Vario-W
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 12:37pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

If that is your only objection I can remove that.

Once again, why the tone in your response?  

you welcome positive feedback but seem defensive to any negative comments and suggestions.  This thread seems to be headed to a senior member vs newbie commentary.  if you donít want to change it, donít change it, is your thread.  it seems to me after reading thru the posts the senior members all love the idea, and us newer members donít.  That should tell you all you need to know, and my question is what is the target of this thread?  Is it to really help newbies make decisions, or just cut down on the number of new threads.  

There have been many examples of text in your OP that people didnít like but you donít seem willing to improve?  whatís the point?  this thread, if really intended to be a sticky, should be relatively straight forward.  just provide the list of 'standard questions' and ask that new posts on machines include those original questions and the person's answer to each.  The rest is just unnecessary and condesending is some instances.  

Below is my suggestion for the how the sticky should be presented:

Welcome to Coffeegeek, we get a lot of new threads from people asking for suggestions for buying a new espresso machine.  In order for the Coffeegeek community to help you with your purchase, a set of questions has been prepared to help the members of this forum better understand your needs and which machines they might recommend.  Please include the questions/answers below in your post as it will provide a good foundation when determining which machines are best suited for your needs:

"Standard Questions:
1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's capabilities.)
2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at any one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)
3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)
4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pour over machine with its own reservoir?
5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder? (please note that making consistent espresso at home is not the cheapest way to get great coffee, as such, a budget of at least $XXXX is recommended.)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 12:56pm

I am sorry that everything I say offends you. This will probably offend you as well, I apologize in advance.

I disagree with removing the hard facts. That is the meat of what I wish to say.  If you can make suggestions to soften it then I will listen but I am not wanting to delete that info.

My goal is to contribute and to reduce the number of times we have to get people to realize they need a grinder.  If we can start from there then it is a WIN-WIN.

Coffeenoobie

DaninMaryland

Espresso: V2 Silvia
Grinder: Vario-W
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 1:26pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

I am sorry that everything I say offends you. This will probably offend you as well, I apologize in advance.

I disagree with removing the hard facts. That is the meat of what I wish to say.  If you can make suggestions to soften it then I will listen but I am not wanting to delete that info.

My goal is to contribute and to reduce the number of times we have to get people to realize they need a grinder.  If we can start from there then it is a WIN-WIN.

please, it doesnt offend me, just trying to represent the people that will be signing up to CG looking for info.  i made my suggestions and the community can decide what to do to move forward.  trying to answer all questions before they post doesnt seem in line with the goals of a DISCUSSION forum.  the original OP is way to long and has way too much info for someone that is logging on the first time and wants input on what to get.  the amount of info is well beyond (in my opinion) what is needed for a newbie on his first machine...i think answering just the standard questions provides the forum with all the info it needs to suggest machines.

none of the other forums that i participate on (and a moderator one of) have this type of guideline.  the other ones i am on get tons of "what do i need to get started with" type threads, and its the same thing over and over.  instead of people being annoyed or upset with the volume of these threads, its always welcomed with open arms and information (repeats, yes).  In addition, these types of threads are usually greeted with 20 people first saying welcome to XXX, here is my suggestion...at least this is on the good forums i visit.  the bad forums (and i dont consider CG bad) have low participation in newbie threads and give boilerplate answers with link to another article.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 1:33pm

Helen you will not be able to please everyone so why try?

There are no stickies at CG, this thread will slip in to the deeps soon as the bickering stops being interesting, this is the way of CG. New people will still post for help, some expecting research to be done for them, others who have done enough research to be shocked but wanting comfort that they are not wasting money, and others hoping there is a magic machine they missed that will cost $300, all of this is also the way of CG.

CG is special, being a person wanting openly to learn about coffee is all it takes to get lots of help, even overwhelming amounts of help. Many other sites require you to be hazed or some other BS to get out of the Newb stage.
showing page 6 of 14 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Please read...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.47332906723)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+