Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help with oily beans in a super automatic
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help with oily...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
sherds

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 7:07am
Subject: Help with oily beans in a super automatic

I'm stuck.  We're hooked on our super automatic (Gaggia Brera) and also Starbucks Gold Coast Blend.  It's dark and oily, and super automatics hate beans like this.  I've tried lots of others, but they just aren't rich enough.  We typically just make regular coffee, about 8 oz at a time, and have the machine set for the richest blend possible.

Problem is that the grinder gets gooked up (technical term) and after 2.5 years about every 5th cup the machine thinks there are no beans and dumps the grounds into the dredge drawer.  Talked to the vendor (Whole Latte Love) and the importer, tried all their suggestions (but for using drier beans).

Do I just buy a new machine every few years or has someone solved this?
 View Profile Link to this post
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 7:26am
Subject: Re: Help with oily beans in a super automatic

even though I'm giving advice on a superauto and charbucks- no offence, you could try putting some weight on the beans. oily beans have trouble with the angle of alot of superauto hoppers and will not feed  burrs properly. try loading your hopper with less beans and put a glass or something else that will fit in hopper on top of beans, only other option is to stand there while its grinding and pour beans right in to burrs.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 7:55am

You will not like this but..
oily beans are either very old or burnt or both. When roasted to this level you are tasting the roast and not the beans. This is fine and everyone should drink what they like but you can just buy some French roast or Espresso roast (notice no mention of bean quality or where they came from, only the roast level as there is little difference between cheep and expensive beans when burnt to a crisp) and call it a day. No need to spend the money at CharBUCKS for their beans when stale beans from the Supermarket will do.

As to the feed problem, yes you will continue to have issues. About the best you can do is to clean all you can reach then run something like GRINDS through the machine to soak up some of the rancid oil that coats the rest of the grind path.

Click Here (www.urnexathome.com)

As it has been a while since the machine has been cleaned, it may take several uses to start to get things cleaned up.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
scanfield

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 8:10am

calblacksmith Said:

you can just buy some French roast or Espresso roast (notice no mention of bean quality or where they came from, only the roast level as there is little difference between cheep and expensive beans when burnt to a crisp) and call it a day. No need to spend the money at CharBUCKS for their beans when stale beans from the Supermarket will do.

Posted March 21, 2013 link

Maybe you missed the part where sherds said he has tried lots of different beans but prefers Starbucks Gold Coast Blend. You might not taste the difference, but he obviously does.

Your advice to try some GRINDS is good. I'd be curious to know if that helps him at all. I have a feeling though that he would need to run GRINDS through fairly frequently and end up wasting a lot of coffee in the process. I have a Vario grinder and GRINDS works very well on it, although I find I have to readjust the grinder after using it.
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 9:17am

sherds Said:

Do I just buy a new machine every few years or has someone solved this?

If you can't switch beans then regular cleanings (whether it's Grindz or manually disassembling and cleaning) is really your only option.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 9:34am

Hello.  If you have determined that every 5th cup clogs it up, maybe just put 4 cups of beans in the hopper.  After they are gone use a lighter roasted coffee for a couple cups, then go back to the 4 cups of the darker beans in the hopper.  The lighter beans may take care of any crud in there and you will still have a decent 2 cups of coffee during that process.

I would refrain from using any grinder cleaners in through the hopper as one would do with a regular grinder.  It will cause a mess inside of your superauto.  I speak from experience on that one, I had a Krups superauto and it died due to it. :(

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
espressoplanet
espressoplanet
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: QM, LaSpaz, Rancilio, Izzo,...
Grinder: Baratza, Mazzer, Macap,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Bonavita, Behmore, Capresso
Roaster: Behmore 1600
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 11:00am

takeshi Said:

If you can't switch beans then regular cleanings (whether it's Grindz or manually disassembling and cleaning) is really your only option.

Super-Autos CAN NOT use GRINDZ or any other grinder cleaner as once ground it will fall into the brewing unit and try to brew a coffee. You can do some serious damage to your brewing unit and machine by doing this. Take it in for service, or if it is out of warranty, you have to remove a whole bunch of screws and almost disassemble the entire machine to get to the burrs.

Josh.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 11:10am

yeh I didn't think you could use GRINDZ or Rice to clean a superauto as it would just assume it was beans and try to brew it.

Sherds - easy fix, get a semi-auto/quality grinder/fresh roasted beans lol. Or if you want to keep the superauto, get rid of the Charbucks, disregarding that the coffee isn't "rich"... what your tasting is stale, burnt beans that gives the flavor so many assume is a "rich or strong" coffee. Stand alone grinders can get gunked up with oily beans, and running oily beans through a superauto is even worse as you have the oils in the grinder, out the grinder, path, brew etc. Order fresh roasted beans (no reason not to considering Charbucks beans aren't cheap and your paying for stale burnt ones at that lol). I'm sure if you actually tasted a fresh roasted "dark roast" from a roaster who knows what their doing you will find plenty that have very little hints of oil, and a medium roast would work best in the superauto.

I've never used a Superauto except for espresso, and it was awful, didn't even realize you could get 8oz coffee at a time like your doing. Can't imagine how that would taste good with the way a Superauto extracts the puck? If your drinking that much you'd be better off buying a good drip machine (Brazen etc) or a cheap Pour Over (Chemex) or even an Aeropress.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 12:21pm

There you go, one more reason to not like SA machines. You can't clean the grinder properly.

Yes I saw the comment about SB beans, honestly, there isn't much difference at all with supermarket crap beans and *$ stale crap burnt beans other than the price and the perceived quality difference. It is not ME that can't taste the difference, I won't go near the stuff as I KNOW there is no difference other than the price. YMMV

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
sherds

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 12:58pm

Many thanks for the input!  
- Will avoid Grindz
- Have cleaned it about as much as I can without really taking it apart
- Hooked on a super automatic, it's just so easy
- The every 5th cup error frequency isn't predictable, so can't manage to it
- I'll have to find a coffee roaster and go talk to them.  Maybe get a small amount of a few different coffees that are bold but not oily.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help with oily...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.444437980652)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+