Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 182 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dagoat

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 12:23pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

B747VET Said:

I didn't want to give anyone the wrong impression about the BDB/B model and the puck sticking issue.  Whereas the puck on my original machine stuck about 80-90% of the time, the puck on the BDB/B seems to stick about 5-10% of the time, but only when I have the basket probably a hair too full.  When tamping an optimum amount the puck never sticks on this particular BDB/B.

Posted March 30, 2013 link

i have an original "/A" model and I almost _never_ get puck sticking.  and the _only_ times i did get sticking were when i had the basket not full enough.  occasionally when i make a mistake, like forgetting to tare the scale when i weigh my dose into the yogurt cup i use, i'll end up under-dosed and get a "sticker".  but never when i dose properly.

boxes or pax?

-peter
 View Profile Link to this post
jamierayo

Espresso: Breville DB, Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Mini E,...
Drip: Aeropress, Kalita Wave
Roaster: iRoast2, Behmor
Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 1:05pm

B747VET Said:

The portafilter fits in much more snugly with increased resistance.  Less likely to spin out.

Posted March 21, 2013 link

I've owned the A model for about 4 months.
Is the material in the grouphead that the PF locks into still plastic with a silicone seal? Is there any visible difference that you can tell? I'd like to know if it just feels tighter because it's new, or is there really a design change?
The slipping PF is a big problem for me -enough so that I've started looking for a different machine with which to replace the BDB.
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 1:21pm

FWIW, no problems at all with PF slipping on my A model as long as you follow Phil's advice and make sure the rim of the portafilter basket is dry.  I do a heating flush of my portafilter before I dose it, and then I wipe it dry before filling it with coffee, making sure I pay special attention to the rim of the basket where it seals against the silicone group seal.  For me, that is enough.  And I don't jack it in particularly tight.  Just "pleasantly firm" (good scientific term).

Other folks on the Aussie forums have had good luck by lightly burnishing or roughing up the bottoms of the lugs on the portafilter with some sand paper.  Note:  this is not a big sanding job where you are changing the shape of the lugs. just give them a rougher surface.  i have not needed to do this, so i haven't, and so i'm just passing the info along.  try that and see if it helps.  it's cheaper than buying a gs/3.

it also makes sense that if you did a cleaning job using espresso cleaner detergent, (cafetto, cafiza, what have you), and especially if you did "phil's wiggle" with the soapy water, that you do a very thorough rinse.  soap is slippery and if some espresso cleaner soap remains on your group gasket, it could add to your slippery situation.

-peter
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 3:51pm

mariog7 Said:

Looks like the new machine is on its way in the coming weeks, so I would advise anyone considering one to wait.

I had my suspicions when their site did not have an 'add to cart' button for the current one. Just like the naked PF.

You'll love it, old or new version. Just KEEP IT CLEAN. Which is pretty easy to do, but oh so important. I wish some of the commercial machines my customers have were as easy!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MattLarson

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 3:55pm

I'm a long-time lurker and a first-time poster.  I purchased my BDB about three months ago after an obsessive amount of research and I'm slowly learning to make espresso that I'm willing to drink.

I don't use the machine every day and because of travel, there was at least a two-week interval where I didn't steam any milk, and that was two weeks ago, at least.  So my steam boiler hasn't seen any action in a while.  It can't be drained by the end user (right?), so there's no way to refresh the water in there besides the normal consumption via steaming, which is obviously happens really slowly.  Do I have to worry about anything growing in there?  I'd imagine the normal operating temperature would kill any bacteria, but that still leaves mold or mildew.

Thanks for any advice.
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 4:21pm

Here's a couple of pictures of the seals on the /B model. First one is straight up.

BubbaDude: BDB_Seal.jpg
(Click for larger image)

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 4:23pm

Second one has an angle. You can see the seal looks like silicone. The seal is fairly squeaky when completely clean.

BubbaDude: BDBSeal2.jpg
(Click for larger image)

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
danioro
danioro

Espresso: Breville BDB, Gaggia coffee...
Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 4:55pm

MattLarson Said:

I'm a long-time lurker and a first-time poster.  I purchased my BDB about three months ago after an obsessive amount of research and I'm slowly learning to make espresso that I'm willing to drink.

I don't use the machine every day and because of travel, there was at least a two-week interval where I didn't steam any milk, and that was two weeks ago, at least.  So my steam boiler hasn't seen any action in a while.  It can't be drained by the end user (right?), so there's no way to refresh the water in there besides the normal consumption via steaming, which is obviously happens really slowly.  Do I have to worry about anything growing in there?  I'd imagine the normal operating temperature would kill any bacteria, but that still leaves mold or mildew.

Thanks for any advice.

I wouldn't worry about it.  Pressurized steam is an effective critter killer, and the inside of that boiler is almost certainly sterile.  Just purge the steam a few times to clear any beasties lurking in the frothing arm.

Dan
jamierayo

Espresso: Breville DB, Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Mini E,...
Drip: Aeropress, Kalita Wave
Roaster: iRoast2, Behmor
Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 5:34pm

Thanks for the great pics BubbaDude.
I'm going to compare them to my A model when I get home.

My first post was today, but I've been a long time lurker, and I read this entire thread ( plus many others on several forums ) before buying the BDB. I hope the slipping portafilter problem has been addressed by the B model. The BDB has many great features & is capable of pulling excellent shots. I really want to love it, but the PF ejection is just not a problem I can live with.

Breville has provided outstanding customer service so far, and has offered to send a replacement machine. Does anyone know if all the replacement units that are now being sent out are the B models?
AlexKilpatrick

Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 6:39pm

I have a BDB and have been very happy with it.  I recently had to get an espresso machine for my "office"  (2 people) and decided to go with a CC1 over the BDB because my budget for the office wasn't enough to cover the BDB.  I had a budget of about $1,000 for everything, including the grinder.  I thought i would share some of my findings on how the CC1 compares to the BDB.  (I paired it with a Baratza Vario grinder)

- Milk steaming is a lot slower (not surprising).  Also, it "shrieks" much, much louder than the BDB steamer.  I am not sure why this happens.
- It takes an annoying amount of time to heat up for the shot after milk steaming.  The BDB has spoiled me here.
- I like the smaller form factor compare to the BDB
- Menu system is good for customization - can change pre-infusion time, dwell time, but not pre-infusion pressure.  I believe pre-infusion pressure is full pressure, so if you set it to long, the shot will just start
- Unlike the BDB, you can change the 'P', 'I' and 'D' parameters.  I can't imagine *anyone* doing this.  I'm a EE and even I wouldn't mess with it.
- You can program the time for a single shot, or you can effectively make it manual by setting a long time and just pushing the button to stop it
- Filling the tank is a total PIA.  Bad ergonomics here.  Again, the BDB has spoiled me
- Unlike the BDB, you can actually descale this machine yourself  :-)
- The PID seems to work fine.  Unlike the BDB, I think the temp display is the actual temp, not the target temp.
- Fit and finish seem comparable to the BDB

I can't really compare the shots because I am using some beans that I don't really like.  I think it will make comparable shots, though.

Overall, I think it is a good machine that is a great deal for the price - about 1/2 the price of the BDB.  If you can afford the BDB, I would definitely go with that, but the CC1 is a good compromise for a lower budget.  

If anyone has any question about the CC1, I am glad to answer them.
showing page 182 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.523672103882)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+