Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler compared to CC1
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 2:08pm
Subject: Breville Dual Boiler compared to CC1

This isn't actually one of those "which should I buy" threads.  I have a BDB and love it.  But I need to buy a machine for my office, and I don't have the budget to buy another BDB.  I was looking at the CC1 as a reasonable replacement.  I like the fact that it has a PID, and I don't really need to steam milk and pour a shot at the same time.  All in all, it seems like a very capable machine.  However, I really like the shots I get from my BDB, and I don't want to "downgrade" in the quality of the espresso, if I can avoid it.  I can put up with a little inconvenience for the cheaper price.

My office is just me and my biz partner, so I will be the one operating the machine.

I'm hoping someone with experience with both of these machines can give me some more insight into what I will be losing by going with a CC1 compared to a BDB.  Please don't use this thread as an opportunity to bash the BDB, though.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 2:22pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler vs CC1

I believe you will find they taste different.  Up to you if you like that difference.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 2:24pm

No basher, sir.
Just have general questions.
Will  LOT of others be using your office machine, or just you and someone you can instruct on it's use?
Remember, MOST folks you know won't nearly have your skills, and the "right" espresso machine in the wrong hands could not only result in bad coffee, but could be dangerous.
Obviously either machine will provide a LOT better coffee than will an SA, but if you have multiple users, you may have to consider that alternative.
Hopefully not.

EDIT: perhaps if you re-titled your thread BDB OR C1, not VERSUS, you'll eliminate the battle royal you'd like to avoid.
I'll keep an eye on this thread for a while.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AlexKilpatrick

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 2:36pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

I believe you will find they taste different.  Up to you if you like that difference.

Posted March 23, 2013 link

What would make them taste different?  Functionally, they seem very similar - PID, vibrating pump, etc.
AlexKilpatrick

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 2:38pm

IMAWriter Said:

No basher, sir.
Will  LOT of others be using your office machine, or just you and someone you can instruct on it's use?
Remember, MOST folks you know won't nearly have your skills, and the "right" espresso machine in the wrong hands could not only result in bad coffee, but could be dangerous.
Obviously either machine will provide a LOT better coffee than will an SA, but if you have multiple users, you may have to consider that alternative.
Hopefully not

Should have made that clear.  It is just me and my biz partner, and a very rare visitor.  I enjoy making espresso, and my partner flatters me enough to keep getting free lattes.  So, it will be just me making espresso, and an occasional intern that I might train.
myallawala
myallawala
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 5:18pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler compared to CC1

If it means anything, I think my CC1 is pretty happening. I tried a shot and a cappa from a shop down here with some El Salvador. They were using a Slayer. I kid you not when I say I took those beans home, pulled a shot and a cappa and thought mine were as good if not better (I pre-warm my cups and they don't--this makes a big difference to me).

The ONLY reason I want a different machine is capacity. I love my ristrettos and cappas equally and I wish I could brew and steam at the same time. And cause the machine is a bit of an eyesore.

(Btw I use a Mazzer Major. I think this is most of the reason my Espresso is good--that's to say the CC1 itself is capable if paired with a good grinder. It does really well with my Vario too.)
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 5:45pm

Are the drinks you make primarily going to be milk based drinks at the office? If not your answer is easy, why buy the extra boiler? The rest is delivery of hot water under pressure and how well they can deliver that water at the temp they say they are delivering it at. Thing is I have not seen a member run either machine with a Scace device to check brew temps during the duration of a shot, that could aid you in deciding and identify how shot extraction was done and why there may be different tastes. Why has this not been tested? I am sure it has not been, but why do we not see the results on a google search? Another way to look at it is the piece of equipment to test this sort of thing accurately cost near as much as a cc1. I can show you independently tested results of temps from my machine at various different PID settings
AlexKilpatrick

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 6:32pm

I don't know about the CC1, but someone on home-barista sacced the BDB and found it good to +/- 1 degree.
fredk01

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 6:55pm

This blog has measurements of the CC1.  Don't know what device was used to measure though.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 7:17pm

I agree with you on the title,its seems a bit leading and suggestive. I mean to me the BDB part could have been left out and
what might have been an alternative would be, Is the CC1 a good machine for 2 people in an office? Maybe before this
does go south the OP would let you change the title or start over. I dont see what it has to do with the BDB really. Its more about the office and
a unit that will meet certain requirements and expectations.

IMAWriter Said:

No basher, sir.
Hopefully not.

EDIT: perhaps if you re-titled your thread BDB OR C1, not VERSUS, you'll eliminate the battle royal you'd like to avoid.
I'll keep an eye on this thread for a while.

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.412304878235)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+